Real Name
    Casey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's only been a decade...

Hey Everyone,

Not sure who's still around that remembers me, but I joined back in February of 2009 and kinda fell of the face of the earth for a long while (as far as SCAPE goes). Life happened, etc., but I never stopped keeping a planted tank throughout the last 10 years. Live in Costa Mesa and work in Anaheim.

I currently am down to a single JBJ Picotope ultra-low-tech setup with a couple surviving cherry shrimp (these guys must either be super old or several generations down the line) at my office that is getting to be on its last legs, prompting me to reinvigorate myself back into the hobby a bit.

I'm first going to replace the tank in my office with something a little more modern since LEDs are much more of a thing now, and was thinking about the Fluval Spec V since I like the contained filter look for my desk. The Edge looks awfully pretty, but I know me, and based on my current water change regimen of waiting until the filter noise is too loud to hear my conference calls before doing it, I figure I should stick with something that doesn't require constant top-offs.

First off, anyone know any somewhat local stores that might carry the Fluval tank and some remotely interesting wood/rocks in the Orange County area? I will probably go try Tong's in Fountain Valley first since they are the closest SCAPE supporting store still left on the list (RIP New Wave Tropical Fish in Tustin). If that's a no go, I'll probably just order stuff.

I already re-lurked a couple hours tonight and see there's a mini-meet a bit of a drive from me and the Pet Expo is coming back to town in my back yard, so I'm cool holding off through that if you think there will be some deals there (I see Fluval is a sponsor at the Pet Expo).

2. Likes John7429 liked this post
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time only Age Of Aquariums had a booth selling (Because they supplied the fish for the displays. The aquascaping competition is using the new 15" cube Fluval Flora setup, only costs $120 to enter (gets you the tank and substrate and a weekend entrance wristband and parking pass). https://www.petexpooc.org/aquascaping-contest-faq/

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience I didn’t have to really top off my tank for like 2 weeks and it was at a good water level... fluval specs are my favorite tho. It comes with a top top. I think going with an all in one is the best bet! I know others have tanks like that. Like dennerle tanks! And UNS has some too! I think ada “DOOA” is an all in one too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Chasimir's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Casey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nice discount on the Fluval Flora sounds good to me, but I think I missed the deadline for registering (and I don't really have any plants to scape with yet). "Deadline: April 5, 2019"

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want, try it now. They still have a few spots left. I got them to open it back up because i forgot to register.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Troy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever come up to culver City I have a SPEC V I can trade you for your pico

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    You are...

what you do...

when it counts.

The Masao