Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Tech Geeks Here?

Somebody just gave me a wifi endoscope they found at a flea market. The phone app to connect to the scope requires wifi password and log in. It is by a Chinese company I am not comfortable giving my wifi credentials to. I'm wondering if there are generic more secure apps that might be configured to work with wifi devices -or are they all proprietary? Or if there is another way to secure that login so I don't inadvertantly expose my network info via the app?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use lastpass to manage most of my passwords and authy as the two-factor authenticator. It might be overkill for you if you just need it for the one app.

Simpler option is to create more than one wifi network.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Lastpass and am using Authy at work. I was thinking about a second wifi network and may go that route - thanks.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot honestly imagine anything made too unsecure from having your wifi password. That would involve many, many, many moving pieces for backdoor action.

Not saying it isn't possible, just that the likelihood is minimal.

I would probably just setup a guest wifi module if i were running a dd wrt router, and limit the port triggering and setup a parsing log for all data that came in on a port that was different from the endoscope.

Only if I were in a very curious mood, though.

5. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good. I figured somebody would have to be in my backyard but best to be cautious. Not sure how much is exposed via those phone apps have but I have other apps on there that can access the smart tv, the Roku, remote desktop and such and I tend to favor some degree of paranoia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, i do also, and for those cautious moments, i have a guest wifi setup that my phone and tablet can access separately on a network.

There are several phone manufacturers (huawei and zte come to mind) that there are backdoor conspiracies of, but no one can prove it, even after exhausting data logs.

8. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my eye on a few PC companies even before it came up in the news. I have had two different laptops - one by Lenovo and one by MSI (China and Taiwan) - that had suspicious software and processes that I had to root out. I usually dig through the computers when I first set them up to get them as clean as possible. I don't really have experience digging into cellphones and apps on them, so aside from whatever security apps, denying permissions and encrypting the phone all I have is my natural caution.

Seems like too much effort just to test the endoscope, but I'll tinker with it one of these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am primarily a Linux user here. One of the reasons I'd really love my job is because we use it a most exclusively.

I haven't run a windows PC in about 6 years.

11. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pretty sure u can use other apps for that hardware. Just download something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one Linux computer at home - mostly because it was an older computer and Linux was lighter and faster. Having said that, for home use, it would never be my main computers. There is good software available on Linux, but when you actually start trying to find equivalent programs to major software products they don't have products - in my limited experience- that measure up to the full range of functionality. Having said that, for work computers especially with licensing being so expensive, Linux seems okay to me (except for all my graphic packages) and for breathing life into older hardware.

Do you mind if I ask what you do Nick - or is that too off topic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would do linux except the games I play mostly do not work on linux and the cutting edge hardware I use likely won't have good drivers. Windows is fine IMO the only annoying part is updates. My other hobby outside of fish keeping is playing PC games and music. Those scape members that have come over have seen my gaming rig. As for Linux I did try dual booting it awhile back and had driver incompatibilities with it even when using ubuntu with gnome. Thats just outside of the fact many games I play like apex legends and vr stuff dont have a fork for linux yet.

15. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    I have one Linux computer at home - mostly because it was an older computer and Linux was lighter and faster. Having said that, for home use, it would never be my main computers. There is good software available on Linux, but when you actually start trying to find equivalent programs to major software products they don't have products - in my limited experience- that measure up to the full range of functionality. Having said that, for work computers especially with licensing being so expensive, Linux seems okay to me (except for all my graphic packages) and for breathing life into older hardware.

Do you mind if I ask what you do Nick - or is that too off topic?
    I work for the commercial sales division for Lowe's. Yep. Every single system runs Linux.

There are some exceptions, but very few and far between.

Re: games - SteamOS is basically a linux kernel of its own.

Just about every game I own through Steam has a port for linux.

17. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    I work for the commercial sales division for Lowe's. Yep. Every single system runs Linux.

There are some exceptions, but very few and far between.

Re: games - SteamOS is basically a linux kernel of its own.

Just about every game I own through Steam has a port for linux.
    yeah its just those games that dont support linux which kills it. I love the responsiveness and overall function of linux but yeah when you need that one program its a deal breaker. Same reason people buy Mac's only to use Final Cut Pro because it renders 4k footage 2x faster than premiere. Steam is making efforts towards more games supporting linux but there is still those games that the developers are just too lazy to make a port.

19. Likes stormvisions liked this post