User Tag List

Thread: Can't get rid of this algae. Help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't get rid of this algae. Help!

I had a very dense tank and it became a mess. Overrun with the algae pictured below. I got rid of all the plants that had algae on them, I've done a bunch of water changes, UV sterilization, and the water tests great. Now it's back. Can someone ID it for me and suggest how to get rid of it? Thanks!

IMG_0098.jpg

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continue water changes, verify how many hours your light is on, make sure you are not overfeeding/over-fertilizing as any excess nutrients high-level plants don't suck up leaves a gap for algae. Remove any infected leaves where practical. Spot treat remaining leaves with hydrogen peroxide (put in a dropper, or pipette and squirt slowly directly on affected leaves. Don't over use), and you can follow up with a similar treatment method using Seachem Flourish Excel (don't use more than dosage suggested for your tank as this can be toxic).

This will usually kill/break-up the algae cells and if you have otocincilus cats, and any of the algae eating shrimp they can also help.

That stuff is always in the water - I have had to battle it a few times. It is a plant, so it needs nutrients and light the same as your other plant but high level plants are generally more effective feeders. If you find the balance with the nutrients and light, high-level plants etc there won't be enough left for the algae to start booming.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is Marino ball aka Cladophora algae. You will never win your battle. It grows in the same co editions as plants and is as hardy as plants. Most things that will kill it will also kill plants.. you can aggressively treat it with h2o2 and excel. This is one of the toughest to get rid of.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clado is like having aids. Once you have it you have it for life and theres only things you can do to reduce the symptoms but not cure it.

Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor Morales
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anh View Post
    Clado is like having aids. Once you have it you have it for life and theres only things you can do to reduce the symptoms but not cure it.

Sorry.
    Your Positive about that one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr angeltre's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Angel
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a big fan of a 5-6 day blackout for hard to clear algae. Turn lights and CO2 off, add air for the critters, cover the tank with back trash bags for 5-6 days. Plants will be fine but algae will die off or weaken. Water changes and excel after. Ottos, Amano Shrimp and Ghost shrimp help too. I do may tanks about once a year.