Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ray
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Cherry Shrimp

At March SCAPE auction I bought "10 Red Cherry Shrimp"...small at the time.
    Have had them in a 10 gallon quarantine tank and they're growing nicely.
    BUT only half are red... the rest are clear/grayish.
    Is this normal for red cherry shrimp?
    Are the clear ones culls?
    Should I separate the two colors?
    I've seen other groups of cherry shrimp and they were all red...not half of them gray.
    Recommendations???

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clear ones are cherrys, the red ones you have sound like a nice bonus. There's different grades of cherrys. Here's a infographic i pulled off google, hope it helps.

IMG_6323.jpg

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red color is not the wild color. People have been able to 'fix' the color by breeding red to red and culling. In a mixed tank with red's, blues, greens or with 'cull' Cherry shrimp that may show as red but really had different color parents or grandparents you are going to pop out more of these colors. I understand in shrimp, that the size and shape of the chromatophores also affect the appearance but to simplify (based on what I remember from guppies) the shrimp you have that appear red have dominant red color, but may have recessive genes for yellow, blue or green from an ancestor. If they mate with another shrimp that is dominant red, but also has recessive genes for other colors then the combination of say two recessive genes (ie both had a yellow parent or grandparent) could result in the recessive gene (ie yellow) being expressed and you get a yellow shrimp baby from two red parents. If you want to keep them pure you either start with pure, or you cull out the off colors as early as you can and after a few generations you should be able to 'fix' a color.