Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is wrong with my fish

I have 2 gravid Malayan Yellow Pygmy Catfishes and have been keeping a close eye on them whenever I catch glimpses of them in the plants. They are highly elusive and are always hiding when the lights are on. Even during the evening, when I can see them come out to forage for food, they are usually near the substrate and hiding in the bushes.

However, when I got home yesterday, one was at the surface of the water and would not move even when I brought a net in to see if she would move down. I pulled her out of the tank to check her out and she doesn't look hurt: fins and tail are intact and no cuts or anything I can find.

I'm at a loss with what I can do for her. I put her back into the tank since I thought it would distress her even more in a small quarantine. This morning, she seems no better and is sometimes swimming upside down.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what might be causing her to do that? Any help is greatly appreciated!

R1rXmbx.jpg

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr DanielN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoni View Post
    I have 2 gravid Malayan Yellow Pygmy Catfishes and have been keeping a close eye on them whenever I catch glimpses of them in the plants. They are highly elusive and are always hiding when the lights are on. Even during the evening, when I can see them come out to forage for food, they are usually near the substrate and hiding in the bushes.

However, when I got home yesterday, one was at the surface of the water and would not move even when I brought a net in to see if she would move down. I pulled her out of the tank to check her out and she doesn't look hurt: fins and tail are intact and no cuts or anything I can find.

I'm at a loss with what I can do for her. I put her back into the tank since I thought it would distress her even more in a small quarantine. This morning, she seems no better and is sometimes swimming upside down.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what might be causing her to do that? Any help is greatly appreciated!

R1rXmbx.jpg
    Hi Cindy
    Look like she might got Bladder problem (overfeed that she can't digest). How is the water parameter? It can caused by poor water quality or overcrowded tank or overfed.
    I remember someone suggest feeding Brine Shrimp or Daphnia can help.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soak a single frozen pea in a garlic fish food soak. Smash in with a spoon or your finger, and drop it in. Hopefully she eats it, as peas help most fw fish, with gastrointestinal problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback, Daniel. I checked the water and it's good: no ammonia or nitrite. Last water change was 2 days ago @ 40%. And, coincidentally, I just fed the tank live brine shrimp last night.

The other female has been hanging out in the bushes and I've noticed that her eyes aren't protruding like the one in the photo... which makes me believe it might be popeye. I added just a little epsom salt to the quarantine to see if she improves. I'm hoping that just might be it. In case it isn't, I'll do another water change tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Soak a single frozen pea in a garlic fish food soak. Smash in with a spoon or your finger, and drop it in. Hopefully she eats it, as peas help most fw fish, with gastrointestinal problems
    Would the garlic be safe for her to eat if she's gravid? I'm actually worried she might not eat at all since I have tried to give her some bloodworms this morning and she completely ignored it.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Swank's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Daniel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna agree with the rest, looks like bloat.
    Last edited by Swank; 03-16-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't you supposed to Epsom salt bloat to help em poo?
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I’m gonna sound like a monster, but.....

You may want to return the fish to quarantine... if it’s not bloat, it could be some other form of bacteria, fungus, virus or even parasitic... if the fish dies, and its contagious- whatever it is will be introduced to the tank, if it’s not already present... also, if the fish is suffering, you may want to consider euthanizing it... there’s various methods to do so...unfortunately, bloat usually is fatal and not easily cured...