Real Name
    Rick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aquarium Stand Question

Need some help......

I recently purchased a rimless Ultum Nature 90P (which is 90cm wide x 45cm tall x 45cm deep) 44 Gallon.

I order a stand from a LFS, and told them I wanted no "lip" on the stand since it is a rimless and I want to see the whole tank.

The stand arrives.....I pick it up.....stain it and lacquer it.

While I am staining and lacquering, I begin to get concerned over the fact that the stand is 100% plywood......and since I plan to have between 400 and 450 lbs of water and rock in the tank, I decide to reinforce it by installing a "skeleton" inside the stand made of five 2x4 legs, and a four 2x2s that support the top of the stand.

Last night I put the leveling pad on the stand, and then tried to put the tank on the pad....not easy to do as the pad keeps moving. Anyone have any tips on how to do this? I assume I am going to have to put some adhesive on the pad to keep it from moving.

Finally...the stand maker "beveled" the edges of the top of the stand. I am concerned that the very each of the tank is not being supported, and is going to cause pressure points.

Sorry for the long post....I am just frustrated after all the work I put into the stand wth staining, lacquering, and reinforcing that I might have to start from scratch.
    Last edited by tippy4; 03-15-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, 3/4" plywood is strong enough, alone to hold a tank up. The reinforcement is not overkill though.

Also, couls you take a picture of the routed edges? I am curious how the bevel is positioned.

SCAPE Member Just Planted tippy4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Rick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the issue was my pad....the one that came with the aquarium. It was cut too close....and not straight.

I decided to drive out to Tong's in Fountain Valley....bought an oversized pad w adhesive......stuck it on my tank.....cut off the excess (leaving a 1/8" overhang) and got the tank up on the stand.

I probably did more than I needed to reinforcing it, but better too much then not enough. Also...my stand is made out of 1/2" plywood....not 3/4".