Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making shrimp food

Anyone tried making their own shrimp food? I know shrimps pretty much eat anything but I thought it would be fun to try something different.

I watched one of many videos from Mark Shrimp Tanks and picked one of the easiest one to make, requiring only 4 ingredients: egg, water, flour and spinach powder. I subbed the spinach for spirulina and added in grounded up bug bites for protein. The process was very messy and took longer than it should have because I don't have a rolling pin and had to use a jar of pasta to roll out the dough.

In the end, the shrimp, snails and fishes all loved it.

My next attempt will be to make snow flakes. I hear it's much easier and only requires 1 ingredient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roger
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Kole85 the only person I know that has dabbled in it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Excuse me while I return to my forest

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on my third attempt at making my own shrimp food. I toss in spinach, any floating plants, lettuce, seaweed, fish flakes, algae wafers and toss in some salmon for protein. I also add some digestive enzyme powder suppose to be good for baby shrimp. I blend the green goo, pour in a tray, cover and toss in freezer. My shrimp love it! Only thing is it does not sink so stays floating and slowly breaks down so I have to turn off any filters so it doesn't end up all over the tank.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you should say this as I have been looking at this the last few days. I want to make a dry food for my Otos in particular but shrimp will eat also. I to see if one of those silicone molds or a small pill making machine might do to make some tabs I could dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    Funny you should say this as I have been looking at this the last few days. I want to make a dry food for my Otos in particular but shrimp will eat also. I to see if one of those silicone molds or a small pill making machine might do to make some tabs I could dry.
    If you have those used trays from the black worm or brine shrimp frozen packaged foods, they work great! Iíve reused the trays and as long as no holes in the individual compartments are perfect for this application. You also reuse stuff before they end up in the landfill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    If you have those used trays from the black worm or brine shrimp frozen packaged foods, they work great! I’ve reused the trays and as long as no holes in the individual compartments are perfect for this application. You also reuse stuff before they end up in the landfill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a great idea.