Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Platinum halfbeak, to buy or not to buy

Found some platinum halfbeaks at one of my lfs, got hooked on them. Anyone have a care sheet and tips. Theyre $4.99 each so im planning on getting 3 for my 10g tank mates are a betta imbellis pair, 4 male endlers, and a tiny SAE. Ill be switching the endlers and SAE to some chili rasboras and 3 otos.

Ps sorry for the blurry pictures, my camera wouldn't focus on them
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Likes GettinTanked liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted GettinTanked's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sarah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys are super cool. I've read that you should have the perimeter of your tank planted with something that reaches the surface (or have floating plants with roots) otherwise they run into the glass and hurt their snouts over time. No personal experience though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GettinTanked View Post
    These guys are super cool. I've read that you should have the perimeter of your tank planted with something that reaches the surface (or have floating plants with roots) otherwise they run into the glass and hurt their snouts over time. No personal experience though.
    Ok, my tank has salvinia

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome fish and fun to watch hunt... with some work, they will accept flake or dry food, but will go after insects (like fruit flies, worms, etc) or small fish that will fit in their mouths (like fry)...they dart, grab, and reposition the meal in their mouths much like a sea going bird.... cool little fish... they prefer slower current and hunt at the surface...

Video is not necessarily a platinum, but displays this type of fish and it’s natural environment well (archers are awesome too)...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qO21Ct3Mwi8

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    Awesome fish and fun to watch hunt... with some work, they will accept flake or dry food, but will go after insects (like fruit flies, worms, etc) or small fish that will fit in their mouths (like fry)...they dart, grab, and reposition the meal in their mouths much like a sea going bird.... cool little fish... they prefer slower current and hunt at the surface...

Video is not necessarily a platinum, but displays this type of fish and itís natural environment well (archers are awesome too)...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qO21Ct3Mwi8
    Yeah i talked to a staff member at the store and he said that they eat crushed flake, and i have minimal flow already cause i have some bettas

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago we had this at a shop I worked at. I know some did get mangled snouts and I remember them being good jumpers too. Cool looking fish.