User Tag List

Thread: Building a stand for a bowfront?

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr bryangee123's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Building a stand for a bowfront?

Has anyone ever built a stand for a bowfront? Iíve never built one before, and I feel like the bow area would need more support than a regular tank? (46 gal bowfront) Any ideas(or step by steps) would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Box brace it to the point of bowing on the sides and box the front.

Then bend a board (read: anything 1" or less in thickness) with either a sized shim or "furring strip" at the middle, or the middle and quarters.

Methods for bending boards vary. Some softer woods do not need any treatment, but others need either steaming or smoking in a bending box.

Some lumber yards can provide this service for you.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a not so elegant approach to making a support board without the use of a steam/smoke box.

SCAPE Member Just Planted webby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David Webster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built a tank top for a 170 gal bow front a few years ago. I made it out of 3/4" x 8" oak that was 6+' long. I used a circular saw and cut kerfs 1 inch apart about half way through the back side of the oak all the way across.
    Google "kerf bending" and you'll find pictures and videos of how to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Thanks guys. Thisíll probably be a big project thatíll have to be done when I have the tools and time lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this stand rn https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...aquarium-stand

Its really wobbly, which is why I wanted to build my own, dont really trust my skills though. I want to build a support on both inner walls. Something out of 2x4s, one on the bottom, three going straight up? How does that sound? I also want to add a piece of plywood covering the entire back, maybe even build a small frame in the front to add a false cover with plywood to the entire stand and repaint it. Thoughts?

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the stand you have doesn't have a back on it you might be able to reinforce your current stand rather than building from scratch. If you want to go this way maybe show some pictures of back and inside but I am guessing that bolting a sheet of plywood to the back (leave a slot opening for wires and hoses) would help. Likewise a plywood piece that fits either on top or below the board the tank is laying on can be added and screwed i to reinforce that. A cross brace or two and you are set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bryan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    If the stand you have doesn't have a back on it you might be able to reinforce your current stand rather than building from scratch. If you want to go this way maybe show some pictures of back and inside but I am guessing that bolting a sheet of plywood to the back (leave a slot opening for wires and hoses) would help. Likewise a plywood piece that fits either on top or below the board the tank is laying on can be added and screwed i to reinforce that. A cross brace or two and you are set.
    Itís identical to the one I linked. But hereís some pictures of it.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have not done this, but just putting this out there to start the conversation - others can shoot holes in it and if you do do this, you do it at your own risk. Just to be safe.

Untitled-1.jpg

So this is my thought on an easy fix that shouldn't require emptying the tank or major rebuild - just some good measuring.

So a piece of plywood across the back that fits snug from the floor, to beneath the stand top lip. I guess you could put those nail in plastic or felt pads for furniture at the bottom. Cut out a hole on either side of that back support brace into the plywood that you added so you can run your wires and hoses. Paint it if desired then secure to that center brace (the one that is already there). Then I would measure the inside across the top (red boards in image) and fit a piece snuggly across, support by two 'leg' pieces -one against left, and one against right.

Now you can use those little 'L' shaped angles to join the sides to the back. If you have done it right the top piece won't need 'L' braces as it is wedged on all sides.

There is no center brace in this solution but I think this should reinforce it quite a bit.

One other thing (which I am also thinking about for my own tank) is the need to add an earthquake strap or other support from the wall to prevent it rocking forward.

My 2 cents hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.