Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone guess the name?

I need help to ID a few hitchhikers I found this morning. I was able to get a few picks before school drop off. I saw 3 and my son saw. When I came back home they disappeared, who knew snails were so fast!! Lol
    Any advice if it's good to keep and what affect it will have on my tank? I was thinking about getting a pea puffer if things get out of hand..

20190305_122641.jpg
    20190305_122256.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrspopescu View Post
    I need help to ID a few hitchhikers I found this morning. I was able to get a few picks before school drop off. I saw 3 and my son saw. When I came back home they disappeared, who knew snails were so fast!! Lol
    Any advice if it's good to keep and what affect it will have on my tank? I was thinking about getting a pea puffer if things get out of hand..

20190305_071024.jpg20190305_122256.jpg
    Looks like Japanese Hydrocotyle for plant and a ramhorn snail either albino or something. They can self reproduce without any other snails and I feel like they are fine since they don't get too big and just helps algae. Just depends if you like them or not.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Luffy D Monkey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jerome
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ramshorn

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some pest snails in my tank, they dont really do anything, i think they may eat algae. I dont mind them. You can also use chain loaches if they get out of hand

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Mrspopescu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPDTimmy View Post
    Looks like Japanese Hydrocotyle for plant and a ramhorn snail either albino or something. They can self reproduce without any other snails and I feel like they are fine since they don't get too big and just helps algae. Just depends if you like them or not.
    Oops I needed help with the ID of the snail only. Lol but thanks for being super helpful! I'm excited they are indeed ramhorns. I was looking to get some snails at our next meet but now I dont have to!!

I'm halfway through the cycling process.. will the spike in water parameters at the end of the cycle most likely kill these guys? They are super tiny I think that's why one is clear cause it's still a baby(?) Not sure how big they will get

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Mrspopescu;336177]Oops I needed help with the ID of the snail only. Lol but thanks for being super helpful! I'm excited they are indeed ramhorns. I was looking to get some snails at our next meet but now I dont have to!!

I'm halfway through the cycling process.. will the spike in water parameters at the end of the cycle most likely kill these guys? They are super tiny I think that's why one is clear cause it's still a baby(?) Not sure how big they will get[/QUOTE

Haha oops I thought you needed plant ID too. They don't get that big only a marble size. I would recommend Nerite snails if you are looking for more since their shells are quite cool (some of them). I don't think they would reproduce in your tank either since they need brackish water.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those guys are pretty hardy. They are beneficial because they clean up any algae and eat leftover food that fish don't get to. I'm surprised folks buying snails at the meets. They usually come free with some plants, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    Those guys are pretty hardy. They are beneficial because they clean up any algae and eat leftover food that fish don't get to. I'm surprised folks buying snails at the meets. They usually come free with some plants, lol.
    That's usually pond snail and ramhorn haha. Nerite would be a good bonus if they came with plants. I Have some extra super baby ramhorn if anyone wants ( I might have to double check if they still around).

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Chitown's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like pond snails to me if so you will never be rid of them lol not really but they are hardy pests assassin snails take care of them if you decide that you dont want them

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
    looks like pond snails to me if so you will never be rid of them lol not really but they are hardy pests assassin snails take care of them if you decide that you dont want them
    How can you tell the difference between a pond and ramhorn?? I know nothing about snails x[

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Chitown's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pond usually have thinner clear shells and dont grow near as big

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ramshorn snails have more of a "cinnamon roll" look to their shells, pond snails the narrow winding end of the shell goes out in a point. Those look ramshorn-like to me.

IME it's pretty tough to kill snails, and they're good tank inhabitants to clean up algae, uneaten food, etc. Their populations will explode if their food source explodes, and then you can trap the extras in various ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need help to ID a few hitchhikers I found this morning...

20190305_122641.jpg
    Gyraulus costulatus

I have them too and my dwarf pea puffer eats them up ...but not as fast as they seem to breed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you tell the difference between a pond and ramhorn?? I know nothing about snails x[
    Pond snails have more of a ice cream cone-like shell body; whereas, Ramshorn snails have a shell that is literally shaped like a ram's horns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoni View Post
    Gyraulus costulatus

I have them too and my dwarf pea puffer eats them up ...but not as fast as they seem to breed.
    would it be better to have a loach or oto with the snails, or will they harm other fish/plants?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Timmy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would it be better to have a loach or oto with the snails, or will they harm other fish/plants?
    If your tank is really establish and has quite the algae then I would recommend getting some oto catfish. They usually do not harm fish, plants, or even shrimps. I never kept loaches so I'm not sure on that one.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPDTimmy View Post
    If your tank is really establish and has quite the algae then I would recommend getting some oto catfish. They usually do not harm fish, plants, or even shrimps. I never kept loaches so I'm not sure on that one.
    I second this, otos always mind their business. Loaches are active but i dont think they'd mess anyone, always do your research and use multiple sources

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read/seen, otos don't eat snails but loaches do. Depending on the loach you get, some may also burrow or dig up substrate for food.

I actually have both species in my tank. I got the oto cats to help me with algae and they are known to be very shrimp/fish/plant safe. For the snails, I got a couple of pea puffers but they are so small that they only go after the tiny snails that you had questioned about above. They left the medium to larger ramshorn ones alone. I recently bought a couple of dwarf chain loaches and, even though I haven't witnessed them eat the ramshorns, I do seem to have a lot less of them in my tanks now.

Edit: Loaches may eat baby shrimp

Moderator Master SCAPER Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yoyo loaches will eat your snails to a point, but they do enjoy digging a little bit. They will also eat any shrimo you might have in your tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Yoyo loaches will eat your snails to a point, but they do enjoy digging a little bit. They will also eat any shrimo you might have in your tank.
    What about butterfly loaches? They are so pretty and was thinking of getting that kind... anyone with experience with that species?