Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I never updated this thread.

While I was out on a job in Kentucky in January, the overflow to this tank had a breach, and I had my wife disable the return. It stayed fine on "life support" of just circulation, but a couple of its inhabitants passed on, so we moved what remained, when I got back home, to my wife's tank in her office at work.

A day later in late January, I spent about a month and a half in the great lakes region for work, and the tank stood somewhat empty. When I came back on March 17th, by march 21st it was completely torn down and scrapped out.

Most of the pieces sat idle - pumps, return plumbing, live rock, heaters.... Some of it didn't even turn back on, so it all pretty much went into the garbage. I made peace with it pretty quickly, while I was on the road, because I knew it would be hard to come back from after 6 weeks away from home.

So this tank is now swimmin' in the ocean of tank heaven.

As my wife and I are preparing for buying a new home in the next year, I vowed to never again move tanks (it is a ridiculous challenge, the larger the tanks get) and I have been tearing down my 90 gallon for the past month piece by piece.
    @SamSam563 picked up my RBTA and my Yellow tang that were the only major inhabitants besides some soft coral and reef invertibrates.

I have a plan to make a little pico or a nano to keep in the garage of a little hermit crab that I have kept since my very first salt water tank almost 7 years ago. I plan on setting up that tank in the next couple of weeks and moving that little guy over to it, and just keeping it going... Or maybe puthim in my wife's tank. Her office tank is immaculate, and she has been doing great, and he would fit in well there, the little scarlet-legged hermit crab that he is.

Within the next two weeks, I should have everything from my 90 gallon boxed back up and taken apart as well. There are many things going on at my house (due to covid, my little sister had to postpone her wedding twice, and as a result, changed venus 3 times. Now, we are having a very small event for it next weekend in our backyard, and I have been trying to break down as many superfluous things as possible).

My next big thread might be a for sale thread, and then when that is done, a Pico/Nano Saltwater "Stablizer" setup, and as the itch is difficult to scratch without a real tank, I will very likely dive back into a nano freshwater setup to keep my fix satiated.

Something AIO like a fluval edge that looks pretty and is lightweight.

2. Likes jem_xxiii liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr jem_xxiii's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Johnny
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UNS AIO are pretty nice too.
    Buce Fiend - Small Tanks Keeper

4. Likes swoof liked this post
    SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about the tough times, Nick.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

6. Likes Nick Shades liked this post
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Sorry to hear about the tough times, Nick.
    It was a tough moment when I realized what happened on the road. I was trying to walk my wife through diagnosing what was going on with the tank while she had Duo open on her phone, walking her through each component, and I asked her to get the camera over to the over flow. From 2200 miles away, there isn't much that can be done, as I was not going to ask her to suck on an airline in order to get a siphon going. Again.

What this allows me, however, is the ability to make better safeguards in a future project.

I did sink a bit of money into this one, but it ended up being mostly a learning experience more than anything and I am okay with that.

It had its sad moment as I tore it down, but it was actually a bit of a relief knowing that by doing so I I wouldn't need to rebuild it with what had some broken components.

Can't wait for the next one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww man but Im sure your next tank is going to be insane. The next one is always the better ones

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick, come on, this group is about helping each other. There are at least half a dozen people on here you could have tried to contact to see if they could have helped your wife. Not trying to be rude. Just remember in the future, if something like a possible extended trip comes up, contact a fee members near your new home to see if they might be able to stop by if something comes up like this. Some would do it at the drop of the proverbial hat, but don't alway want to worry about being that guy.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    Nick, come on, this group is about helping each other. There are at least half a dozen people on here you could have tried to contact to see if they could have helped your wife. Not trying to be rude. Just remember in the future, if something like a possible extended trip comes up, contact a fee members near your new home to see if they might be able to stop by if something comes up like this. Some would do it at the drop of the proverbial hat, but don't alway want to worry about being that guy.
    Maybe.

I've helped out some friends in similar situations, but my friend who lives closest to me who I've helped in a similar situation was out of town, and I think it was around 10pm on a Sunday, PST, when I got the call about this.

I think i exhausted my own mind, because I had setup the external overflow as a redundancy, and the primary had already failed.

Just means that the next one is going to be built with additional safeguards.