Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby tears

I received some from an established tank friend, and they are tall. Is there a way to plant them and make them carpet again? Or a special way to propagate them from cuttings? I love the look either way but curious on my options with the plant.

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Mr.PurpleJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Eddie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just plant them in good substrate. They will start carpeting. The length is dependent on the light. Low light to Med = tall growth. Med to High light = short growth. They will eventually shoot roots from the stem (like stem plants) and you just cut and plant again.

Also when established ( month or so) cut them to encourage side growth.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of baby's tears are they? I've seen this common name used for H. cuba (dwarf baby tears), Lindernia Rotundifolia ('baby's tears'), and pearlweed. I wouldn't be surprised if some people called Monte Carlo baby tears either.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baby tears is HM/HG aka pearl weed, Dwarf baby tears is HC. @jayo Lindernias common name is not baby tears, I have never heard the plant associated before, but anything is possible. Just like star grass in Asia. Like 10 plants are commonly called that.

@Mrspopescu plant it, dose nutrients, add high light and co2 you'll have a carpet soon. Anytime the plant grows vertical just trim it down.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Mrspopescu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have low full spectrum light, so I know they will grow tall after all. I went with my gut and planted it toward the back. It was a gift so I'm not sure what the original name is. But I'm very happy with the look so far!20190221_121154.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't call Lindernia 'baby tears' either, but if you search for 'lindernia baby tears' you'll see hits. Common names are a mess. And that doesn't even get started on mislabeled plants!

Mrspopescu, the plant in the picture looks to me like pearlweed (Hemianthus micranthemoides). It will grow like a stem, but can be sheared down to a lawn. It's a great plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    I wouldn't call Lindernia 'baby tears' either, but if you search for 'lindernia baby tears' you'll see hits. Common names are a mess. And that doesn't even get started on mislabeled plants!

Mrspopescu, the plant in the picture looks to me like pearlweed (Hemianthus micranthemoides). It will grow like a stem, but can be sheared down to a lawn. It's a great plant.
    Is it a low light plant?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IME, it grows fine in low light, yes. It's hardy, a much better choice for a low-light tank than dwarf baby tears (H. cuba).

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    IME, it grows fine in low light, yes. It's hardy, a much better choice for a low-light tank than dwarf baby tears (H. cuba).
    That's a relief! My husband was the middle man in all this so I'm sure some important info like lighting got lost in translation. It's more of my hobby. Lol

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr craycrayfish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Philip
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey again, if you want fast propagation plant what you have, cut it 3/4 of the way down, leave 1/4 of the base there and replant the other 3/4. Make sure you leave some leaves on the base that you leave behind, otherwise itll take longer. It promotes faster growth but it will make them grow bushier at the start.

Im not stalking you, I swear, just trying to get some meaningful posts xD
    Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craycrayfish View Post
    Hey again, if you want fast propagation plant what you have, cut it 3/4 of the way down, leave 1/4 of the base there and replant the other 3/4. Make sure you leave some leaves on the base that you leave behind, otherwise itll take longer. It promotes faster growth but it will make them grow bushier at the start.

Im not stalking you, I swear, just trying to get some meaningful posts xD
    Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
    Haha no it's okay. See I know there was a method like that!

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr sayurasem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrspopescu View Post
    I received some from an established tank friend, and they are tall. Is there a way to plant them and make them carpet again? Or a special way to propagate them from cuttings? I love the look either way but curious on my options with the plant.
    I would cut each stems about 3-5 inches long and plant 1 inch (preferably no leafs to promote root growth) of stem into the substrate. 1 stem every half an inch across the substrate would be ideal, but you can plant more stems if you like. For carpeting, you need high light and alot of nutrients to keep them short, but on a low/ medium light its a really cool background plant.

By any chance are you Sebastianís spouse? Because those baby tears looks familiar lol. If you are, I apologize Iím very bad with names. Let me know if you need some more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roszlynn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
    I would cut each stems about 3-5 inches long and plant 1 inch (preferably no leafs to promote root growth) of stem into the substrate. 1 stem every half an inch across the substrate would be ideal, but you can plant more stems if you like. For carpeting, you need high light and alot of nutrients to keep them short, but on a low/ medium light its a really cool background plant.

By any chance are you Sebastianís spouse? Because those baby tears looks familiar lol. If you are, I apologize Iím very bad with names. Let me know if you need some more!
    I am! Thank you so much for the start and advice! My son and I are both really happy with the look and the way it came out!
    20190221_112013.jpg

14. Likes sayurasem liked this post