Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    alaura mcwillam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110gal breeding pond

With the start of the new year I want to breed something different this spring-fall in my 110 breeding tub. Last year I did blue wag platies (more of a test run fish but they still turned out gorgeous). I want to try some other than livebears as I honestly find it a little boring.

If YOU had the opportunity to breed any type(s) of fish/invert in this pond what would you breed and why?

It has a diy Canister filter, a heater (for cold nights and to allow late fall-early winter breeding), bog plants, and usually a ton of floaters.

Base parameters are as perfect as they can get. I have been able to achieve 0 Nitrites, 0 nitrates, and of course 0 ammonia because of the shear amount of plants in the pond! So I am able to handle more sensitive fish/inverts when it comes to parameters.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think pencilfish are a bit under-represented - at least I don't seem them often enough. I would try some Coral Red Pencilfish. They retail in the $20+ range I think so could give you a decent return if successful. I would consider adding some Otocinclus cocama but assume it's possible they will eat any eggs they find. Finally I would add any one of the higher price small shrimp that fit those water parameters. If you are able to provide enough safe havens you could have an interesting pond that produces some $ - at least enough to pay for more fish.

Oh, and while you are at it you might as well put some buce or other suitable plant with good value - at least that's me. Enjoy the pond, enjoy the challenge and if it goes well you have somethink to blog about, produce some cool video of breeding and some cash for a 1200 gallon pond.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two words. Oryzias woworae. Beautiful and endangered fish with awesome breeding behavior, they hold their eggs in their back fins! They also breed constantly, almost daily.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    alaura mcwillam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCas View Post
    Two words. Oryzias woworae. Beautiful and endangered fish with awesome breeding behavior, they hold their eggs in their back fins! They also breed constantly, almost daily.

Sounds like an amazing fish! I will do see research tonight. Thank you!

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr SCas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaura0202 View Post
    Sounds like an amazing fish! I will do see research tonight. Thank you!

Np, rachel o Leary has a video on them, also seriously fish has a page on them