User Tag List

Thread: Whats your fertilizer dosing regimine?

SCAPE President Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats your fertilizer dosing regimine?

Hey there everyone,
    We have been seeing an increase in new members over the last several months, many of which are new to the hobby in general. I thought it would be cool if everyone could share their fertilizer dosing regimines.
    Types of fertilizers you prefer/have had good success with based on growth/color? I only use liquid ferts. I personally have had great success with NilocG Macros and Micros. This is what I used when I had my dutch aquascapes, always great growth and good color....also has no copper so is shrimp safe. The CK Fish World All-In-One is pretty good, I currently use it in planted tanks that house shrimp since it has no copper. My other tanks that dont have shrimp I am trying out the Ultum Nature Systems All-In-One (has copper), still too early to judge. I ALWAYS dose extra Iron even though it is in the other ferts I use, I use either SeaChem Iron or Ultum Nature Systems Iron.
    Dosing schedule and amounts? All-In-One on Wednesday and Saturday (1 pump per 10 gallons), Iron on Thursday and Sunday(1 pump/ml per 10 gallons). When doing Dutch aquascapes or high tech with high light I dosed NilocG Macros on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday (1 pump per 10 gallons). NilocG Micros and extra Iron on Thursday, Saturday, and Monday (1 pump/ml per 10 gallons).
    Co2 dosing? If yes, a rough estimate of how much? (Bubbles per second, drop checker) Currently I am running co2 on all of my tanks that I dose fertilizers to. Shrimp tanks have 1 bubble per second, tank without shrimp has 2-3 bubbles per second.
    Water change schedule? Every Wednesday. 50% water change on tanks that are dosed with ferts, 25% on tanks that aren't.
    Are there any fertilizers you have found work better/different in different conditions? (Low light/high light/high tech/low tech) I found the NilocG ferts worked best when I had my high tech dutch aquascapes. I didn't have the Ultum Nature Systems ferts then so I can't compare those 2 together. The CK Fish World All-In-One has been working perfect on my Mid-Tech aquascapes.
    Theres no need to answer all of the questions, those are just some ideas of information to share that could be useful to others.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

2. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice topic.... with a newborn, liquid fertz all the way! Pre-newborn, dry fertz EI... right now, I’m trying out NilocG new thrive fertz for low tech tanks... it is said to have a non-glut sourceof carbon... was about to inquire if anyone else has started using this and if anyone knows the source.... generally, I’m doing much like you, alternating days with an all in one with adding envy and/or iron on off days.... I do have dry fertz if I see any indication of deficiency, but so far not needed. I do multiple water changes though and still add excel (half dose, occasionally) with press co2 mostly to address algae, chiefly BBA. Liquid fertz are more expensive, but super convenient for new dads with little time... I also feed at the roots, using NilocG root tabs and or oscomote...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some random fertilizer by api I think. It says dose once a week so that's what I do. Hoping to get some better fertilizer sometime in the future (maybe at the meet today?)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    Nice topic.... with a newborn, liquid fertz all the way! Pre-newborn, dry fertz EI... right now, I’m trying out NilocG new thrive fertz for low tech tanks... it is said to have a non-glut sourceof carbon... was about to inquire if anyone else has started using this and if anyone knows the source.... generally, I’m doing much like you, alternating days with an all in one with adding envy and/or iron on off days.... I do have dry fertz if I see any indication of deficiency, but so far not needed. I do multiple water changes though and still add excel (half dose, occasionally) with press co2 mostly to address algae, chiefly BBA. Liquid fertz are more expensive, but super convenient for new dads with little time... I also feed at the roots, using NilocG root tabs and or oscomote...
    Anything stopping you from just turning your dry ferts into your own mixed liquid solutions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, laziness .... plus I like trying out new marketed items.... I still use em every so often too, liquid fertz only last a few weeks with multiple tanks...

CAS, I encourage you to check out macro/micro fertz... I’m not sure API is going to be comprehensive...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, well I could understand measuring the small amounts of dry ferts everyday would be annoying, but I figure DIY liquids only take like 10 minutes to make. My problem with DIY is that I always get some sort of growth in my micro bottle even if I sterilize the bottle, add excel to the solution, and keep it refrigerated.

My solution has been to cut down on the concentration to about half. In addition to not growing funky stuff, I found it works well for me since my tanks all have shrimp and I don't want to accidentally overdose on copper. Even though CSM+B supposedly is far below the lethal point for copper, I have personally felt like my shrimp weren't breeding nearly as much when I was dosing full strength micros.

I use basic PPS dosing amounts except I cut out the KNO3 (I get plenty of nitrate from my stock) and put in more KH2PO4. This helped me to contain green spot algae with phosphates and replace the missing potassium from not dosing the potassium nitrate. I chose PPS over EI because I'm too lazy to deal with the EI reset water changes and because of my concern for dosing too much with my shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is easy green any good?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No shrimp for me... I raise CA and SA cichlids and tetras with high bioload- so water changes are a must... and thus ei makes sense... I use to mix my own, and may return to it, but right now I’m enjoying the ease of thrive and similar products... and just adding this and that when needed...

Easy green I believe is a similar all in one product... Cas, I shot you a pm if u want to discuss it further...

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use EI method, though I have cut down my dosing with the big tank, as I canít do 50% water changes every week.

I recently tried going to dry dosing and killed all of my Nerite snails and I suspect many of my amanos. Serves me right for taking a shortcut, so back to making my own liquid I go.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...