Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erich
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello from Los Angeles

Hello Everyone, live in East Hollywood area of Los Angeles. Just joining SCAPE to learn (a lot!) from others, and connect with fellow enthusiasts and pros in SoCal and check out what amazing tanks you folks are working with.

A bit of background: after obsessively viewing aquascape videos and sites for over a year, this past summer I finally decided to start one of my own, and bought a Cobalt "microvue" 5 gallon kit, an assortment of "starter" additives (Borneo Boost and Balance, plus bee balls, as I initially hoped to eventually get shrimp), and carbisea eco-complete substrate.

Here is a pic of it at week 1, with monte carlo at the front, grass at the left, and I'm forgetting what the plant on the right was called.
    5gal scape_week 1.jpg

I'm not sure if it was the mineral content of the rocks I chose (i believe the big one was a lava/basalt, but not sure about the smaller ones), or perhaps having too many plants in such a small aquarium, but I ended up having a lot of algae build up by week 4, and did a cleaning and rearrange, so it then looked like this:
    5 gal scap_week 5.jpg
    I did do water testing and none of the parameters seemed too far away from "normal" ranges.

And then, in July, we had a long stretch of incredibly hot days - I'm sure many of you remember, it was right around the Fourth of July, with high 90s or over 100 for days on end. I live in an apartment without AC, and unfortunately temps were pretty high in my place for quite a while. A heat wave happened again a few weeks later. Sadly, I think it kind of killed most of my plants, as much of them turned "gooey" and disintegrated, and the whole tank turned pretty gross. I cleaned some and held out hope it would bounce back, but eventually got discouraged with all the sad deadness and just tore down the whole tank a couple weeks later. Cleaned the gravel and dried it, so now the empty tank and all supplies are sitting in storage.

SO, I'm hoping to get back into it and start a new scape at some point this year (the set-up & arranging was the most fun part anyways ). But also worried about the coming summer and curious what tips folks may have for dealing with that without AC.

Thanks for reading!

2. Likes vlow714 liked this post
    Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Erich, welcome to Scape! We have a few Erics and Ericks, but you are our first Erich! Anywho, cool little tank, congrats on taking the plunge, pun intended. Make sure you limit sunlight during the hot months, that is if the tank receives it. Your tank has Dwarf Hair Grass(left) Monte Carlo (front) and Water Wisteria(right).

I would suggest getting a clip fan and keeping a jug of R/O DI water ready for nightly top offs. That's what most of us do. Clip fan, desk fan or PC fan diy. We have a meeting at Lotus Aquarium this weekend Tomorrow Sunday Jan. 20th. If you can make it I highly suggest doing so, You'll walk away with the most stuff for the least spent, pennies on the dollar. Plus if you go to the meeting you get to meet fellow hobbyists and ask questions, pick up a discount card at the check in table and score deals from Lotus since they always have a big sale.

Meeting click here: http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...161#post333161

Auction site click here (create an account with your same screen name and user name) http://scapeclub.org/auct/
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

4. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    Likes erbs liked this post
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club, glad to have you here with us. As Zenzu said we have a meeting in Lawndale at Lotus Aquariums tomorrow where we will have an auction, food, a presentation, and good times. On February 9th Lotus Aquariums is also hosting an aquascaping workshop, free to attend.
    Hope to see you around the forum and at some of the meetings.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned from the past that carpeting plants that have small/short root system like Monte Carlo or DHG struggle from sending out runners with Eco complete due to its course gravel type of substrate. The only carpeting plants that I have successfully grown with this substrate is dwarf sag and S.Repens.

7. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cindy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLoRd View Post
    I have learned from the past that carpeting plants that have small/short root system like Monte Carlo or DHG struggle from sending out runners with Eco complete due to its course gravel type of substrate. The only carpeting plants that I have successfully grown with this substrate is dwarf sag and S.Repens.
    Thanks so much for this tidbit of info! This is the first time I've heard/read someone mention why Monte Carlo doesn't do well on the type of substrate I use. I just figured it was because I have it in a low-tech tank. I see new growth all the time but it just starts to float in the water instead of digging through the substrate. Now I know what I need to do

9. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    James
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome" - when I think of hair algae lol

Setups
    - 7.5g Aqua Japan planted
    - 5g UNS 45s CPO tank (in the making).

Instagram @nodeadfish

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Cool to see someone closer than the valley area haha! You should come to the next meet at nautilus located in Lakewood. Chat it up w people and you’ll learn a lot man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoni View Post
    Thanks so much for this tidbit of info! This is the first time I've heard/read someone mention why Monte Carlo doesn't do well on the type of substrate I use. I just figured it was because I have it in a low-tech tank. I see new growth all the time but it just starts to float in the water instead of digging through the substrate. Now I know what I need to do
    Try a much finer substrate. I switched to extra fine Controsoil and worked out just fine.

13. Thanks erbs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear your troubles but all of us in the hobby have experienced set backs in more ways than one.

I agree, creating, arranging and rearranging is the fun part. That's one sure way to eventually end up with more tanks than you can count with two hands, lol!

As far as beating the heat, even a regular fan that will cool off the surface will do. Just have it positioned next to it where cool air will blow on the surface. Also keep ice packs at the ready and dip them in to help with the cooling. I'm assuming you have a thermometer so you can gauge temps? If you need ice packs let me know. At work we get medications shipped to us via mail and I get tons that end up in the landfills. I can give you several. I should be at the next meet if you decide to go.

15. Likes erbs liked this post