Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rotala bonsai melted or died?

It looks dead, but I've heard it might have just melted, but it looks really dead. I dont have a picture atm but I can get one later.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was the tank you posted where you planted it under that jungle val, yeah it's likely dead. Rotala Bonsai needs high light and ample nutrients and co2. I also saw you were interested in keeping L. Pantanal. My suggestion is to save your cash and read up a bit. If you just killed rotala bonsai, then the L. Pantanal is dead the second you hit the payment button.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

3. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always a chance that it will come back. As Zenzu suggested, you might consider moving it away from the jungle Val into a better-lighted area. My experience with Rotala bonsai is that it grows very slow, and takes a little while before it really starts looking good. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some rotala bonsai too... I planted it by my tiger lotus. I got the 1-2-3 grow bonsai from tropica. Theyíre slow growing forsure, Iím using regular gravel and theyíre growing pretty slow but really healthy. Iím injecting Co2 Iíll try to send a pic on how it looks now. But as everyone suggests, try giving it a place where the light can hit it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, it had a lot of light, the jungle val was being pushed to the front by the filter output and the light in in the middle. The substrate is also good, and I have c02. But I could try moving it. If not I might try some sort it bacopa because it looks similar to the look I'm trying to achieve (dense Bush of round leaves). Also the other plants I'm getting are going under more intense light

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright so I moved all the rotala bonsai and it was just roots, but a some seemed to be alive so I replanted it. I also cut back the jungle val a lot and have some runners that I cut and replanted somewhere else so I can keep them alive and sell/trade them.

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the two plants, from two very different regions of the world, have different requirements... I would research this aspect (hardness, ph, etc)...

Also, here’s a thread by someone who also had difficulty with RB, but for a different reason (bought emerged and difficulty transitioning...

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/...ai-melt.35384/

Lol, It’s not always pleasant to hear, but Zenzu is 100% right... his advice has saved me tons of frustration and cash...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks, I might actually get rid of the jungle val entirely.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCas View Post
    Ok thanks, I might actually get rid of the jungle val entirely.

If you still want that effect why not try some sort of crypt? sometimes their leaves flop over like that depending on what kind

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.under.ground View Post
    If you still want that effect why not try some sort of crypt? sometimes their leaves flop over like that depending on what kind

Yeah maybe, I want something slower growing though so it's easy to trim in the Bush of RV that I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was some stem with root intact, it may bounce back. Just make sure it gets lots of light, the tank has good flow for co2 dispersion and dose ferts accordingly. As for plant suggestions. Crypts as mentioned would make a great addition. Maybe cryot lucens.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    If there was some stem with root intact, it may bounce back. Just make sure it gets lots of light, the tank has good flow for co2 dispersion and dose ferts accordingly. As for plant suggestions. Crypts as mentioned would make a great addition. Maybe cryot lucens.
    I might just take out all the jungle val and use some slower growing plant that looks like it. Maybe wont use anything at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might use narrow leaf of trident java fern. How do they grow? Runners?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They grow by rhizome. Before you purchase anymore plants, I suggest buying a light suitable for your tank. You currently have cheapest of the cheap Chinese led... a 12" one. On an 18" tank... You're not going to grow much of anything unless you spit out the cash for proper base equipment. Then after you get the equipment, before you purchase more plants, try reading about the care requirements.

You're still gunning for L. Pantanal which is one of the hardest plants to keep I would say 95% of this forum couldn't keep that plant alive for more than 2 weeks, meanwhile I'm looking at a starter tank barely capable of growing moss... not trying to discourage you, but there is definitely a gap in what you want and what you know.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

16. Likes webby, Bongox3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpl...llata-pantanal

Listed as “very difficult”....

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm okay, guess I was wrong. I do have bright light and co2, and am getting fertilizer later, so I'll hold off until I get that

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe instead of RB I'll get bacopa compacta, bacopa monnieri (moneywort) or hygrophila corymbosa, I don't want one that would send long uncontrollable runners that would mix with the ar mini. Also does anyone know anything about Didiplis diandra?

Last edited by SCas; 01-14-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpl...diplis-diandra

Without the proper lighting and nutrients it’ll quickly look horrible and the bottom portions will decay... with the proper setup, it’s a beautiful plant. I don’t know what lighting your using, but unless its a quality light, you’re in for a headache... that you mention you’re getting fertz later is concerning, as this thread is about why a plant of yours withered away...

I am not saying this to be mean, but please do a bit of planning and research before buying plants... once you have things dialed in, you’ll be able to grow pretty much anything... but this takes time to understand- and if folks like Zenzu offer advice, maybe not blow it off... he, and those of his cablier in the hobby, know what they’re doing bigtime and are a great help...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Cas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticpl...diplis-diandra

Without the proper lighting and nutrients itíll quickly look horrible and the bottom portions will decay... with the proper setup, itís a beautiful plant. I donít know what lighting your using, but unless its a quality light, youíre in for a headache... that you mention youíre getting fertz later is concerning, as this thread is about why a plant of yours withered away...

I am not saying this to be mean, but please do a bit of planning and research before buying plants... once you have things dialed in, youíll be able to grow pretty much anything... but this takes time to understand- and if folks like Zenzu offer advice, maybe not blow it off... he, and those of his cablier in the hobby, know what theyíre doing bigtime and are a great help...
    Alright thanks, I'll do more research from now on, does anyone know any good sites? The light I have is a nicrew light. It has rgb and it's pretty bright. Its growing monte carlo good so I think it's alright, but maybe not. Also I do have some random fertilizer but I dont really know what it is. Anyways sorry for all this and I'll hold off on higher needs plants until I get the ferts, I'm planning on getting aquarium co op easy green, what's ur guys input?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good... no need for sorry... it’s just I killed a lot of stuff myself until I took the advice of folks here...this is a good site, the planted tank is also good but not as welcoming... all in ones fertz are good, but to get the knack of this look into what makes up macro and micro fertilizers, dosing, and how to spot deficiencies in plants... dry fertz are super cheap and are a great way to learn, but all in one dosing is easy....I maybe wrong, as I never had a nicrew light, but I think they maybe ok for moss and some types of ferns but not suffient for much else.... check out literature on photosynthesis with aquatic plants and the types of color spectrums best for ur wanted plants...”bright” is not a good indication - for example a light for marine life maybe super bright but maybe poor for plants due to the colors emphasized...