Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nolan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about switching to RODI/Acclimation

I'm back with a bunch of questions! Hoping to get some help to decide on how I should proceed.

I'm in the process of setting up my new 15g tank and moving over the livestock from my big tank before taking it down. Right now I'm just using tap water. Since I'm using mostly amazonia (with a little controsoil cuz I ran out), I didn't want to start off with RODI water knowing that I would be doing so many water changes. But it seems that the amazonia is finally done leaching ammonia and my tank is finally done cycling. So I'm hoping to transition to using RODI water soon.

Right now I have 6 amano shrimps and 1 lone glofish danio all used to super hard tap water. (Last I checked it's like 8.2-8.4. kH and gH are so high that I lost count of how many drops.) I'm also doing pressurized co2 in the new tank, so it will be quite a big change for them. What would be the best way for me to go about acclimating them? I'm gonna do drip either way. But would it be better to acclimate them now to the new tank and then start doing top off with RODI? Or just switch to RODI and then acclimate them?

Will plants be affected by the switch to RODI water? The most sensitive things I have in there right now are probably the buce.

I'm also still trying to decide between doing RODI + tap, or just remineralizing. Not sure if/how each option would affect the switching process...

In case my stocking plan will affect anything: I'm planning on keeping a school of cardinal tetras, and possibly a small school of pygmy corys. The glofish danio will stay if it gets on with the cardinals, or I'll either rehome it, or set up my spare 10g tank for it. Also considering some neos (trying to decide between red or blue) in addition to the amanos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about switching to RODI/Acclimation

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulan View Post
    I'm back with a bunch of questions! Hoping to get some help to decide on how I should proceed.

I'm in the process of setting up my new 15g tank and moving over the livestock from my big tank before taking it down. Right now I'm just using tap water. Since I'm using mostly amazonia (with a little controsoil cuz I ran out), I didn't want to start off with RODI water knowing that I would be doing so many water changes. But it seems that the amazonia is finally done leaching ammonia and my tank is finally done cycling. So I'm hoping to transition to using RODI water soon.

Right now I have 6 amano shrimps and 1 lone glofish danio all used to super hard tap water. (Last I checked it's like 8.2-8.4. kH and gH are so high that I lost count of how many drops.) I'm also doing pressurized co2 in the new tank, so it will be quite a big change for them. What would be the best way for me to go about acclimating them? I'm gonna do drip either way. But would it be better to acclimate them now to the new tank and then start doing top off with RODI? Or just switch to RODI and then acclimate them?

Will plants be affected by the switch to RODI water? The most sensitive things I have in there right now are probably the buce.

I'm also still trying to decide between doing RODI + tap, or just remineralizing. Not sure if/how each option would affect the switching process...

In case my stocking plan will affect anything: I'm planning on keeping a school of cardinal tetras, and possibly a small school of pygmy corys. The glofish danio will stay if it gets on with the cardinals, or I'll either rehome it, or set up my spare 10g tank for it. Also considering some neos (trying to decide between red or blue) in addition to the amanos.
    Doing a swap from RODI water is probably gonna be a good thing in the long run. But youll get many opinions, just depends how your tap water is. With me personally the switch wasnít to hard neither with acclimating just did 20%(RODI) water changes to the tank for a week then 50-60% water changes of RODI till my TDS levels dropped to where Iíd like them to be. I remineralized my water with gh/kh+ and some iron. But the acclimation part was easy at least for me I drip acclimated my neo for a couple hours and they did just fine. Ps go with the blue neo

Plant wise you might see some changes in leaf color or even welting but its up to you if you want to continue to switch waters. But I recommended slowly doing water changes of 30-25% so they can acclimate.
    Hope this helped just getting into the hobby so still got a lot of learning to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chuy; 01-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nolan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
    Doing a swap from RODI water is probably gonna be a good thing in the long run. But youll get many opinions, just depends how your tap water is. With me personally the switch wasn’t to hard neither with acclimating just did 20%(RODI) water changes to the tank for a week then 50-60% water changes of RODI till my TDS levels dropped to where I’d like them to be. I remineralized my water with gh/kh+ and some iron. But the acclimation part was easy at least for me I drip acclimated my neo for a couple hours and they did just fine. Ps go with the blue neo

Plant wise you might see some changes in leaf color or even welting but its up to you if you want to continue to switch waters. But I recommended slowly doing water changes of 30-25% so they can acclimate.
    Hope this helped just getting into the hobby so still got a lot of learning to do.

Thanks for the info! I should probably look into picking up a tds meter as well. And yeah I will definitely have to switch over slowly. Just in case.

I am kinda leaning towards blue neos because blue is my favorite color. Lol. But reds do look nice in a planted tank. And I might want to try to keep some caridina in there eventually (though it seems that's not easy with a high tech tank), and I don't know if I want to have all blue shrimps. Lol.

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of fish mentioned will appreciate the softer water.... you’ll just need to monitor the plants that come from harder water areas (like buce) and ensure they get their mineral content...

I now swear by rodi water... everything seems healthier and easier to control... algae is a constant, but significantly less a hassle since switching from tap...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you guys using to remineralize your RODI water? I was using Equilibrium, Alk/Acid buff, and was having trouble stabilizing my PH. Not that I really have a need to switch back to RODI water but I may try it out on a tank for fun later on. Turns out SFV tap is amazing lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    What are you guys using to remineralize your RODI water? I was using Equilibrium, Alk/Acid buff, and was having trouble stabilizing my PH. Not that I really have a need to switch back to RODI water but I may try it out on a tank for fun later on. Turns out SFV tap is amazing lol.
    I personally just use kh/gh plus by shrimp king and very little ferts. I donít really go to in depth on the Alk/Acid buff and equilibrium since I havenít read into it that much. Yet I seem to have steady water parameters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nolan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    The majority of fish mentioned will appreciate the softer water.... you’ll just need to monitor the plants that come from harder water areas (like buce) and ensure they get their mineral content...

I now swear by rodi water... everything seems healthier and easier to control... algae is a constant, but significantly less a hassle since switching from tap...
    That's good to know. Since I plan to keep tetras, I know they'll definitely appreciate the softer water. And I'll definitely keep an eye out for the plants.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RESURRECTION!

just want to say that after 2 years of ownership, i finally setup my used RO system and added a de ionozer cartridge to it.

I will not feign expertise. The two years was me completely unsure of how the thing worked. I got it used from a friend and kept getting turmned off by the expense of various replacement pieces.

Then, i decided to call the bulk reef supply help line, told them the modek I had and a guy named Larry walked me through the whole process of what pieces went where, what parts to order new, and how to optimize it for my very hard tap water.

My model came with a TDS meter on board, so I can actually see that the 117 TDS from tap goes to 0 as it makes its way to my DI cartridge.

This thing is a game changer.

I have had it running for a little over two weeks now, and just yesterday got the DI cartridge running.

The high quality RO cartridge I upgraded it to allows me to manually replace the membrane (for half the price) and the capillary discharge port allows me to have so much less waste watrr as well as reduce high flow through the membrane.

I have forgotten I have had it filling buckets from time to time, but I actually have this sucker knocking out about 10 gallons a day within just about 3 hours.

Nowhere near as fast ss going to tue water store down the street, but even their TDS is about 17 at best.

I highly recommend that if anyone sees one come up used and has sensitive aquarium parameters - pick one up.

I should have gotten this YEARS ago.

9. Likes KeyeNewen liked this post
    SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr sayurasem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Raymond
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    RESURRECTION!

just want to say that after 2 years of ownership, i finally setup my used RO system and added a de ionozer cartridge to it.

I will not feign expertise. The two years was me completely unsure of how the thing worked. I got it used from a friend and kept getting turmned off by the expense of various replacement pieces.

Then, i decided to call the bulk reef supply help line, told them the modek I had and a guy named Larry walked me through the whole process of what pieces went where, what parts to order new, and how to optimize it for my very hard tap water.

My model came with a TDS meter on board, so I can actually see that the 117 TDS from tap goes to 0 as it makes its way to my DI cartridge.

This thing is a game changer.

I have had it running for a little over two weeks now, and just yesterday got the DI cartridge running.

The high quality RO cartridge I upgraded it to allows me to manually replace the membrane (for half the price) and the capillary discharge port allows me to have so much less waste watrr as well as reduce high flow through the membrane.

I have forgotten I have had it filling buckets from time to time, but I actually have this sucker knocking out about 10 gallons a day within just about 3 hours.

Nowhere near as fast ss going to tue water store down the street, but even their TDS is about 17 at best.

I highly recommend that if anyone sees one come up used and has sensitive aquarium parameters - pick one up.

I should have gotten this YEARS ago.
    Just wanted to add if you ever need clean RO in a pinch, the water shop next to boba tea house in Loma Linda has a tds between 3-6 ppm for 25 cents per gallon.

11. Likes Poochaku liked this post
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah! I know that place! Never stopped by there, as I am always passing it from one place going to another with urgency.

There is a decent water place about a mile from me that on good days will hit almost 0 tds, but there are those days that it gets pretty high, 17 or more.

That is real cool though. That place is pretty close by me, and I occasionally will stop into the bona place for a Thai iced tea, or some popcorn chicken.