Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    alaura mcwillam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trimming Stem Plants

I got some free 4" elodea densa trimmings last weekend and it went absolutely nuts in my tank (which I am fine with lol). Well I am looking to start trimming and growing it for my pond but I am not sure the best way to trim it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just cut it with enough length to stick in the substrate and it should grow no problem (as you learned!). Generally speaking, you want to cut just above a leaf node; then the remaining plant stem will start growing two new stems from that point (like a "Y"). Trimming is very healthy for plants.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant requires no trimming. It is a floating plant which also means it does not require you to plant it. The planted portion will eventually die.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE President 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    This plant requires no trimming. It is a floating plant which also means it does not require you to plant it. The planted portion will eventually die.
    Everybody says that but I have personally had this plant root in a dirted tank when planted.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

5. Likes amzreefs liked this post
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Alaura0202's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    alaura mcwillam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Everybody says that but I have personally had this plant root in a dirted tank when planted.

I think it depends on the soil/substrate! I had the same plant in flourite clay substrate and the planted portion would melt and it would float up where as this time it is in eco-complete and it is doing just fine and actually rooting into the soil already.

Also thank you for the help. I rescaped the tank and trimmed a bunch of it down so I could spread it around the tank!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    alaura mcwillam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rescaped the tank the Densa was in since I got my tissue culture crypts order in. I trimmed the plants down so I could spread them around the back more and they look pretty good! Thank you for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaura0202 View Post
    I think it depends on the soil/substrate! I had the same plant in flourite clay substrate and the planted portion would melt and it would float up where as this time it is in eco-complete and it is doing just fine and actually rooting into the soil already.

Also thank you for the help. I rescaped the tank and trimmed a bunch of it down so I could spread it around the tank!

Yeah. When you google it, it says that if is found in many different sediment types and is hardy enough to survive free floating...which means they find it planted in soil in the wild. It also says that in warmer temeratures it will detach and float. Just a warning, the stuff grows insanely long and quick lol.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shoots out anchor roots. It doesn't grow like a stem plant and just because you have rooted it in substrate doesn't reclassify it as a stem. It's a floating plant bro. Just like najas which can also root.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shoots out anchor roots. It doesn't grow like a stem plant and just because you have rooted it in substrate doesn't reclassify it as a stem. It's a floating plant bro. Just like najas which can also root.
    Sorry to keep this going but I like these kinds of debates......tropica classifies it as a stem plant, planted in substrate up to 2" deep like normal stem plants.

More Tanks!

11. Likes Swank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a true stem plant. When you plant it the plant anchors itself, then portion planted dies, the roots hold it in place while it is technically floating. Unlike most other stem plants, Where the stem converts and produces fine roots for nutrient uptake, Anacharis only roots from the nodes to anchor.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.... I’m not as knowledgeable, and off topic, but I was under the impression that Anacharis prefers cooler temperatures- which could effect livestock types and the warm water preference of the other plants in there....

I’ve always saw it lush floating... but again, I really don’t have anything to add to the above debate...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a true stem plant. When you plant it the plant anchors itself, then portion planted dies, the roots hold it in place while it is technically floating. Unlike most other stem plants, Where the stem converts and produces fine roots for nutrient uptake, Anacharis only roots from the nodes to anchor.
    Just because you have had a different experience doesnt mean that it gets reclassified. So Tropica is wrong? Everything on google is wrong? Isn't your catch phrase "help me help you....use google"....so find something or somewhere that has it classified as anything else? It is found in many different sediment types in the wild, that means its in the ground and not floating. Warm temperatures will cause it to come loose at the base and float....most peoples tanks are warmer temperatures. I have had anacharis root without the portion under the substrate wrotting away whatsoever, both in just sand with root tabs and in dirt with a sand cap. I have never had it float on me or act as a floating plant. Experience doesnt make fact and people have scientifically classified this plant.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, it's like calling water Sprite a true stem plant, it's a floating fern and grows as such. It can be used to mimic background plants, but sends out plant lets, to free float and propagate, just like guppy grass and anacharis will break and split at the node to free float and spread.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screenshot_20181217-200423_Firefox.jpg

It's just the way the plants are marketed for sale. So yes you are right the internet is wrong.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screenshot_20181217-200423_Firefox.jpg

It's just the way the plants are marketed for sale. So yes you are right the internet is wrong.
    Thats hornwort, not anacharis. Your so stubborn Carlo! I love ya anyways man, lol. Hope you can come out to the next meeting.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *serious derail* I hope I can too, stuff is crazy right now. Today was supposed to be my day off, I got called in and all this crazy drama happened, then I got flexed. I also think my boss resigned today and I was offered a union position which I declined...
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First it's fake news and now the internet is wrong? I thought his name is "BUCK" ? What is i going on here? I'm confused. LMAO!!!

So going off of experience, and not to contradict the Pres. "experience does not make fact", I've experienced this plant "anchored" down on good substrate acting as a stem plant and in poor soil like sand it rotted away and wanted to float about with roots sprouting off attempting to anchor elswhere. I've noticed it does really well in my bowls with rich fertilized soil with no flow or filtration. Anyways, my $0.02 is that I like this easy carefree plant that seems to have people in a stir. I do like the debate though. Keep it up guys! I still don't see a clear winner here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    alaura mcwillam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am enjoying this debate! Lol.

I am on board with calling it not a "true" stem plant but I will still say it is a stem plant because it does well in *most* substrates unlike if it were a floater it wouldn't be able to survive planted. Also the plant is a stem with leaves on it right?

You can't plant water lettuce or red root floaters in the substrate... That is what I would classify as a floater where as Elodea can be planted.

Side note: I love the look of the new growth on this plant! Super dense curled leaves.