Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pond Adventure

Ive been seeing people make these indoor ponds...outdoor ponds... and it got me itching for one lol sounds like MTS! I was lurking around my work place and I found this beauty!
    Iíve never had a pond so Iím here to seek for advice and help! Here are a couple of questions I have.
    Is it okay to not have a running filter in the pond?
    What kind of submerged and emerged plants would work?
    What type of fish would adapt to this California weather?
    Whatís the doís/donít of ponds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes John7429 liked this post
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Alaura0202's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    alaura mcwillam
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to #PondLife !

It is perfectly fine not to run a filter although it is a good idea to have a small sponge filter in there if you want to keep fish.

Fish wise, the absolutely easiest and safest fish would probably be white clouds. They do really well in cold and seem to do fine in heat (from my experience). But you could also look into doing guppies/endlers, CPD (celestial pearl danios), or rummy nose tetras.

Plants:
    Water lotuses are super great for small "ponds" like yours. They come in a ton of different colors and are rather easy to care for.

Elodea Densa, hornwort, and some Vals seem to do pretty well in pots and ponds that are smaller.

Emerged plants like dwarf papyrus

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    come to a meeting and lets talk!
    Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 25+ turtles/tortoises

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x green cheek conure

1x dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a really nice pot! I would get creative with this. Dwarf papyrus is a great choice as Aluara mentioned. I actually have some and would gladly provide you some stems with roots when your pot is ready. I would add lava rock on the surface and create a waterfall feature that will work as a filter if you use a submerged pump wrapped in course sponge. I would also use moss on the surface of lava rock. Create some kind of structure to hold the lava rock above the water level so you don't take up all the space below the water level. Alaura provided great information regarding fish. Good luck with this new adventure.