Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Invasive Plants > Plant Disposal & Control

I was reading through some weed risk assessments for plants that are common in many aquariums on this page

USDA APHIS|Noxious Weeds Program Risk Assessments

There are not only banned plants but plants that are indicated to likely be pests including many that we may have in our tanks.

I know most of us are probably careful but some of these guys propagate from fragments or seeds so aggressively that they can present create major environmental headaches.

I'm thinking I will have to mulch or otherwise nuke fragments when I clean up my tank and just putting this out there to see how you handle this yourselves. I guess a lot of out aquarium plants could become problems so having a recommended dispose/destroy process is critical for each one of us.

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are couple of plants which i have purchased from China as well as florida that turned out to be CA invasive.

The problem, though, is that they are fresno/stockton waterway invasive and are not the same kind of problem as they are in the south. CA is such s huge state, but they ban them for all of us.

I try to steer clear of them now, though, simply because i do not really care for them anymore.

3. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All noxious weeds should be completely dried out before being ground up before composting or mulching. You want nothing but powder left. Just because the plants have only been a problem in Fresno or farther north in Stockton (there is a wide section of state between these areas) doesn't mean they can't harm the local water ways.

5. Likes stormvisions liked this post