Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to this

Hi guys, need some advice and got a couple questions.1st.) I was wondering if it's okay to plant a new tank without being cycle. Probably dumb for asking but just wanted to make sure. 2nd.) Was wondering on advice on tissue culture? Since I'm kinda iffy. I know they're meant to prevent pest which is good and I'm all for that but I'm scared that they'll melt and wither away. 3rd) Took your guys advice and got some water test and was wondering if it okay to fill up my tank and filter with only running on PH, KH, GH, and TDS on the water before filling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So recently I set up a 3.5g PRL tank. I filled it up with controsoil and planted ar mini tissue cultures I got from CK. I added some buce I had from another tank and added some red moss from another scape member and a whole lot of floaters. I sprinkled sl-aqua magic powder and filled the tank up with R.O. Water. Then I dosed with nitrifying bacteria I bought a while back. Day 1 I had .25 ammonia which I assumed it was from controsoil. After 2 days I did a 80% water change with R.O. water remineralized with sl-aqua blue wizard to match the parameters of my PRL which was tds of 150. Filled it back up and added a sponge filter that was seeded from my blue diamond shrimp tank and dosed with bacteria for another 3 days. Did water test for the 3 days and my parameters were stable at 0/0/10. About a week or so I added my PRs and they are still happy with zero deaths. On the 17th, the tank would be 1 month old. I did a water test today and my parameters are 0/0/<5 ph 6.2 tds 147. All I did was top offs with R.O. and going to do a 25% water change on the 17th.

As for your questions, Yes it is ok to plant in a new tank without the cycle. My AR minis are doing great, but some did experience melts. My shrimp are cleaning them up and figured the floaters are blocking too much of the light, so im going to get rid of most of them to my pond in hopes the melting ar minis will bounce back. I think when you're cycling you want to do daily water tests. I feel like ammonia/nitrate/nitrate are your biggest concerns when cycling a tank and ph/kh/gh/tds are things you tinker with once the cycle is over. I never used these insta-cycle bacteria bottles before, but I am thoroughly impressed. I got 2 of them from $4 back when Dr.Fosters & Smith had their sale and I don't regret getting it all. Made my cycling life a whole lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahboram View Post
    So recently I set up a 3.5g PRL tank. I filled it up with controsoil and planted ar mini tissue cultures I got from CK. I added some buce I had from another tank and added some red moss from another scape member and a whole lot of floaters. I sprinkled GLA CO2 atomizer with check valve and bubble counter and filled the tank up with R.O. Water. Then I dosed with nitrifying bacteria I bought a while back. Day 1 I had .25 ammonia which I assumed it was from controsoil. After 2 days I did a 80% water change with R.O. water remineralized with sl-aqua blue wizard to match the parameters of my PRL which was tds of 150. Filled it back up and added a sponge filter that was seeded from my blue diamond shrimp tank and dosed with bacteria for another 3 days. Did water test for the 3 days and my parameters were stable at 0/0/10. About a week or so I added my PRs and they are still happy with zero deaths. On the 17th, the tank would be 1 month old. I did a water test today and my parameters are 0/0/<5 ph 6.2 tds 147. All I did was top offs with R.O. and going to do a 25% water change on the 17th.

As for your questions, Yes it is ok to plant in a new tank without the cycle. My AR minis are doing great, but some did experience melts. My shrimp are cleaning them up and figured the floaters are blocking too much of the light, so im going to get rid of most of them to my pond in hopes the melting ar minis will bounce back. I think when you're cycling you want to do daily water tests. I feel like ammonia/nitrate/nitrate are your biggest concerns when cycling a tank and ph/kh/gh/tds are things you tinker with once the cycle is over. I never used these insta-cycle bacteria bottles before, but I am thoroughly impressed. I got 2 of them from $4 back when Dr.Fosters & Smith had their sale and I don't regret getting it all. Made my cycling life a whole lot easier.
    Thanks on the Reply. I was wondering if the process of getting your water parameters down would be drastically different if i would be using tap water;plus haven't never tested the water. Im waiting on the api master freshwater test kit to arrive on Friday. I guess ill have to wait on that till then. But at least i can get the plant tonight.

Question on the sl-aqua magic powder & sl-aqua blue wizard may i find it a CK?

CO2 question: Are bubble counter important even if you have a check valve since my UNS complete mini CO2 system didn't come with one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
    Thanks on the Reply. I was wondering if the process of getting your water parameters down would be drastically different if i would be using tap water;plus haven't never tested the water. Im waiting on the api master freshwater test kit to arrive on Friday. I guess ill have to wait on that till then. But at least i can get the plant tonight.

Question on the sl-aqua magic powder & sl-aqua blue wizard may i find it a CK?

CO2 question: Are bubble counter important even if you have a check valve since my UNS complete mini CO2 system didn't come with one?
    Personally, I never use my tap water for my shrimp. I always used R.O. and remineralized it myself. Even for my neos I use R.O. with salty shrimp gh/kh+. Maybe someone with more experience with tap water and co2 can help you out.

I have no idea on the co2 question and I have no idea if CK sells sl-aqua items. I bought mine online at theshrimptank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I never use my tap water for my shrimp. I always used R.O. and remineralized it myself. Even for my neos I use R.O. with salty shrimp gh/kh+. Maybe someone with more experience with tap water and co2 can help you out.

I have no idea on the co2 question and I have no idea if CK sells sl-aqua items. I bought mine online at theshrimptank.
    Im gonna be cheap on this one and go with tap but if it doesnt work out I'm willing to go the other route. Ima give it my all and go the tap water and try it out but i sure will look into these products at theshrimptank and pick up a few items it seems. tanks

Any good foreground plant you might recommend?

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your going to want to test your tap water to see if its within a reasonable range for neocaridina. Its better to KNOW then to take a gamble when putting $30 or more worth of shrimp in the tank.
    As far as the bubble counter question, your going to want a visual indicator of how much co2 is going into the tank. You can do this with bubble counters or drop checkers, drop checkers being more accurate. You dont want to accidentally gas out your livestock.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Your going to want to test your tap water to see if its within a reasonable range for neocaridina. Its better to KNOW then to take a gamble when putting $30 or more worth of shrimp in the tank.
    As far as the bubble counter question, your going to want a visual indicator of how much co2 is going into the tank. You can do this with bubble counters or drop checkers, drop checkers being more accurate. You dont want to accidentally gas out your livestock.

Thanks on the live stock not planning on adding them till the tank is cycled. But going back on the bubble counter and drop check i think ima go with the drop check since i already have one. But tanks Kole!

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, drop checkers are more accurate in the long run.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of other bacteria product i might add will cycling? as of right now i have tetra safe start concentrated aquarium bacteria plus. any other you might suggest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
    Does anyone know of other bacteria product i might add will cycling? as of right now i have tetra safe start concentrated aquarium bacteria plus. any other you might suggest?
    I used fluval and sl-aqua. Same results just one is way more expensive cause of name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used fluval and sl-aqua. Same results just one is way more expensive cause of name.
    Awesome, should be clear sailing Till its actually set up.