Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to rescape my 17 gallon community tank but

..... I donít know what I want to do with it. I set this tank up like 2-3 months ago... idk what my goal is, and Iím kind of getting bored of it. I donít know how to proceed, weather I want a jungle type or nature... I have some rotala (mixed) java fern, and some other stem plants... I just donít know, any tips? Hereís a pic for reference on how it looks like now
    It was taken this weekend. Itís literally just a bunch of rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted GettinTanked's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sarah
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This tank looks great to me Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Super peaceful.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GettinTanked View Post
    This tank looks great to me Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Super peaceful.
    I donít know haha itís kinda bland , I kind of want a nature aquarium type but idk how to start it, I donít want any wood tho because I hate dealing with fungus

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Jeffrey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeffrey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts: ditch the floaters and get a couple nice, big background species, or something that will grow in big and bushy in that back-left corner. Like some Jungle Val, or a big sword, or a hygro...or something.

SCAPE Member Just Planted BrysonZheng's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Bryson Zheng
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Build up a canyon with the rocks so you get a clear middle ground, then use a lot of needle leaf fern and attach it to the rocks and there you go, nature style! I'd also recommend some stems in the back and some slow mid ground crypts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nolan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always soaked wood before adding it and I don't think I've noticed any problem with fungus. But I think you can still do nature style without wood. (Not sure where exactly the line is drawn between nature style and iwagumi.) I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've seen, nature style seems to be pretty deliberate with the way it draws your focus. They talk about using the golden ratio/spiral a lot. Everything is arranged to form a shape (concave, convex, or triangle). That or it mimics landscape, so like riverbanks, canyons, forests, etc. When I was planning out my tank, I looked up a lot of pictures, especially of aquascaping competition entries. Even though most of them were pretty unrealistic for me to recreate, they were really great for inspiration.

If you don't wanna do a complete rescape, I would move the rocks around, so there's more on one side than the other, or maybe the biggest ones on one side kinda cascading into smaller ones towards the middle. Move your plants (of the same species) closer together so they're more clumpy/bushy rather than spread out. Maybe add some more green plants with bigger leaves for contrast since most of the ones you have right now have small leaves. I really love how bright the java fern is and it pops really nicely against the reds and browns in the rest of your tank. So I would add more java fern, and/or green plants with that same kinda bright green. I'm generally not a fan of floaters so I'd just do without those. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have shrimps in there you won't have a fungus problem. A nice twisty piece of manzanita wood, covered with moss or other plants, will definitely change the look of the tank.

Otherwise, start thinking about level changes - make a big hill in one back corner or something. To really change the look, change the topography.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So hereís what ended up happening. Thanks for all the advice about moving plants and rocks and maybe adding a little bit of dimension. I realized that I have a hard time with scaping big tanks. I think itís hard to pay attention to detail when thereís also many areas to focus on. Hence why I like nano tanks because you can really focus on one side of the tank and still make the scape look good. Anyways, I moved some rocks from the left side. I realized that I had way too much hardscape. I removed around 2-3 rocks and moved the rest a little closer to the other ones on the right. I moved all the stem plants to the back and now they look much fuller. Before that they were scattered everywhere and looked really weird having different size rotalas in random spots. I had this tiger lotus in the back and it never really got to shine, so I decided to put it in the front next to my ďAnubias islandĒ to give it a nice color contrast with the dark green.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to rescape my 17 gallon community tank but

I also got a new light from nicrew and replaced the all white LES finnex
    Finnex :
    Nicrew:
    Ps: before and after the scape

Last edited by the.under.ground; 11-15-2018 at 08:23 AM.