User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Anyone drill tanks?

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone drill tanks?

    I need a 60 gallon drilled, will be a single 3 or 4 inch hole. Would rather not buy my own bit for one use.

  2. #2
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr kberg2498's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Winnetka
    Posts
    228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I need a 60 gallon drilled, will be a single 3 or 4 inch hole. Would rather not buy my own bit for one use.
    largest I have is 50mm aka 2inch

  3. #3
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Largest i have is 28mm.

    I ordered mine from ebay for about 6 bucks.

  4. #4
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    largest I have is 50mm aka 2inch
    Too small, I'll probably just have to buy one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Largest i have is 28mm.

    I ordered mine from ebay for about 6 bucks.
    I'll look on there. never drilled before though. Do you just use a spray bottle with water to keep it cool?

  5. #5
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Too small, I'll probably just have to buy one.



    I'll look on there. never drilled before though. Do you just use a spray bottle with water to keep it cool?
    Have you called CK fish world to ask if they could help?

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  6. Likes swoof liked this post
  7. #6
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Upland
    Posts
    5,268
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also try Ocean Aquatics. A new sponsor in Redlands. @Nick Shades knows them.
    Last edited by swoof; 11-10-2018 at 07:54 AM.

  8. #7
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Too small, I'll probably just have to buy one.



    I'll look on there. never drilled before though. Do you just use a spray bottle with water to keep it cool?
    I take plumbers putty and wrap the area i am drilling into with it like a donut. Then i put the water in that donut like a trough and start drilling. Slow at first, and if I can make a template out of wood, I do that as welll.

  9. #8
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr kberg2498's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Winnetka
    Posts
    228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Too small, I'll probably just have to buy one.



    I'll look on there. never drilled before though. Do you just use a spray bottle with water to keep it cool?
    you gotta keep it wet and keep new water going over it. The water helps with cooling down the glass. Basically you just create a groove for the bit and once it's started just slowly work at punching it threw. When I did my 40 I used a peice of junk board and drilled a hole through it to use as a guide so I didn't tilt the bit mid-drill and break the tank. Clamp the wood down on where I want the hole. Had a hose nearby and started. Also put a towel in the inside of the tank and taped the other side of the hole so when I did go through the slug didn't pop out and scratch up/crack the tank.


  10. #9
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    Also try Ocean Aquatics. A new sponsor in Redlands. @Nick Shades knows them.
    Did talk to them at your suggestion, they told they could but it would be pricey since it would have to be sent out. I think I'll do it myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    I take plumbers putty and wrap the area i am drilling into with it like a donut. Then i put the water in that donut like a trough and start drilling. Slow at first, and if I can make a template out of wood, I do that as welll.
    I'll try that thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Have you called CK fish world to ask if they could help?

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Not yet, figured with the drive out there and depending on their cost, I can buy the bit myself. Might just pick one up and have it for future projects.

  11. #10
    Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    3,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why so big....?



    New Tank Build Thread!


    Dont insult me with your low-balls


    Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

    Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises

    Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

    1x dog

  12. Thanks swoof thanked for this post
  13. #11
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    why so big....?
    Haha, not fish related. Because even my arowana tank doesn't have drains that big.

    I am building a hamster cage and I wanted a hole drilled into it so I can add an ABS pipe for him to tunnel into a burrow which is compartment that would be under the stand. Have really big plans for this cage, I am also working on a second story addition so, the little guy might not even be around anymore when I finally finish this thing!

  14. Likes swoof liked this post
  15. #12
    Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    3,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Haha, not fish related. Because even my arowana tank doesn't have drains that big.

    I am building a hamster cage and I wanted a hole drilled into it so I can add an ABS pipe for him to tunnel into a burrow which is compartment that would be under the stand. Have really big plans for this cage, I am also working on a second story addition so, the little guy might not even be around anymore when I finally finish this thing!
    a 4" hole would be big enough for a chinny. A hamster, even a giant variety, would only need 1.5" at most. It's much easier to drill a smaller hole. One of the hardest parts is keeping the bit perpendicular to the glass and avoiding wobble.

    Just make sure it's not a tempered pane. I'd avoid using a cordless drill unless its a newer one with li batteries. Let the weight of the drill and the bit do the work - don't apply too much pressure.

    Frankly, all that isn't really worth it for building a hamster cage. if you want a 100-150g tank with a hole already drilled, hit me up. I can hook you up. (Fulleron)



    New Tank Build Thread!


    Dont insult me with your low-balls


    Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

    Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises

    Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

    1x dog

  16. Likes swoof liked this post
  17. #13
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    a 4" hole would be big enough for a chinny. A hamster, even a giant variety, would only need 1.5" at most. It's much easier to drill a smaller hole. One of the hardest parts is keeping the bit perpendicular to the glass and avoiding wobble.

    Just make sure it's not a tempered pane. I'd avoid using a cordless drill unless its a newer one with li batteries. Let the weight of the drill and the bit do the work - don't apply too much pressure.

    Frankly, all that isn't really worth it for building a hamster cage. if you want a 100-150g tank with a hole already drilled, hit me up. I can hook you up. (Fulleron)
    I was hoping to eventually do degus in here thats why I wanted the bigger hole, but I think I'll go with your advice doing the 2 inch first, I mean I can always go bigger later.
    I have no kids, so the animals get a lot of the money. This 15 dollar hamster has $200+ spent on his 20 gallon. Can't imagine the 60 gallon end cost haha.

    Price and dimensions for your tank?
    Also, saw some videos where they start the drill bit at a 45 degree angle and then start flattening it out once the bit cuts a groove. I assume this is prevent bit wandering. You suggest this or should I just go flat and slow from the start?

  18. #14
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Upland
    Posts
    5,268
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John has many tanks of various sizes. ..

  19. #15
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally avoid the 45 degree angle. If you make a good enough holding stencil, it will not wobble while you drill, anyway, and while scoring is good for some construction and crafting aoplications, it will actually shorten the curve of the circle in the bit, making the eventual hole that is cut a bit messier than it needs to be.

    Just start it off at low rpm, and build up as you have a track to go through. It takes about 2 minutes to cut a while through glass with a glass rated hole saw.

  20. #16
    Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    3,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I was hoping to eventually do degus in here thats why I wanted the bigger hole, but I think I'll go with your advice doing the 2 inch first, I mean I can always go bigger later.
    I have no kids, so the animals get a lot of the money. This 15 dollar hamster has $200+ spent on his 20 gallon. Can't imagine the 60 gallon end cost haha.

    Price and dimensions for your tank?
    Also, saw some videos where they start the drill bit at a 45 degree angle and then start flattening it out once the bit cuts a groove. I assume this is prevent bit wandering. You suggest this or should I just go flat and slow from the start?
    free



    New Tank Build Thread!


    Dont insult me with your low-balls


    Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

    Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises

    Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

    1x dog

  21. #17
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,682
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    free
    A free 100-150g tank? If he says no I might jump on that lol.

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  22. #18
    Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    3,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    A free 100-150g tank? If he says no I might jump on that lol.

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    doesn't hold water



    New Tank Build Thread!


    Dont insult me with your low-balls


    Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

    Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises

    Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

    1x dog

  23. Likes swoof liked this post
  24. #19
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    free


    Hey, havent been on.

    If I break the 60 I'm drilling I might have to go for your tank. Thanks.

  25. Likes John7429 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •