Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question?

Hello once again, was wondering what’d be a good species of shrimp that can bring great color variation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on your water source... If doing straight up tap H2O... go with neocaridinas...

Caridina species now have a VERY wide selection of color variations but are finicky with H2O parameters and would require RO water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLoRd View Post
    Depends on your water source... If doing straight up tap H2O... go with neocaridinas...

Caridina species now have a VERY wide selection of color variations but are finicky with H2O parameters and would require RO water.
    Neocardina are nice but for me I had worst experience with neocardina so I decided go with caridina they thrive check your tds for tap water mine was 190-206 for regular tap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks you for the advise. Im gonna start up with some neocaridina colony of ten but debating on on either Pumpkins, Blue Dreams, or Sunkist Oranges. WonderIng which would be the hardest of the bunch.

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capo used to have remarkable water quality. It has been a while since I have known anyone out there in the fish world, but, their tap wateused to be tied into a naturally untreated aquifer up and in to the homes hills.

Research time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
    Thanks you for the advise. Im gonna start up with some neocaridina colony of ten but debating on on either Pumpkins, Blue Dreams, or Sunkist Oranges. WonderIng which would be the hardest of the bunch.
    Try to get some shrimp from local breeders or breeders that have similar parameters to yours. I had trouble til I found some shrimp kept near the same parameters as mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks on that little fact. Your got me curious and started to do some research but sadly got confused. If you wouldn't mind telling me how i might get more informed on this or may i just run test's on my tap water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks on that. Might have a little trouble too but I'm sure ill figure it out. If so you guys be getting and updated if i go through with it

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuy View Post
    Thanks on that little fact. Your got me curious and started to do some research but sadly got confused. If you wouldn't mind telling me how i might get more informed on this or may i just run test's on my tap water?
    Buy a freshwater test kit from Amazon. It will test your tap water or whatever water you plan to use. It test ph, high range ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. You also want to invest in a gh/kh test also can be bought on Amazon to test for general hardness and carbonate hardness of your water. Tds pen is also highly recommended. I bought mine from ebay for 5 bucks or so and it helps a lot. Usually do water changes based on tds and whenever I get new shrimp I use tds to judge how long to acclimate.