Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CO2 Help please

I bought a dual gauge UNS regulator and I have been having a hell of a time getting things to work. I bought the UNS check valve and when I put it on, it causes the tubing to pop off where it connects to the regulator. I tried a different check valve and it worked, but ended up leaking when the regulator turned on and had to push the back flow water back through the line.

I guess my question is this. Does anyone have a reliable check valve/bubble counter that they have used for a long time and is reliable? Is it normal to get back flow into the CO2 lines every time the CO2 shuts off?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you using CO2 tubing? if so can you provide some pictures of your setup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the brass check valve sold by Aquatek and it works very well.,

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    brian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check to see if you installed the check valve correctly. There should be an arrow on the check valve indicating the direction of flow. It might be that you put it on backwards which causes your tubing to pop off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Zach
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1. I agree that you need to make sure that the valve is going the right way.
    #2. I have also had issues with CO2 tubing popping off of check valves, bubble counters, etc. This usually happens with plastic accessories, as the brass and glass items seem to hold better. When I have this problem, I just attach the hoses with small zip ties. This seems to be enough to get everything to stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right so I think I have it fixed. I think I got unlucky with the UNS check valve that I first tried. I installed it with the arrow going the correct way (and even tested it the other) and it just kept popping at the regulator attachment location. Then I tried a plastic one that came with a glass bubble counter from amazon. That worked and let the air through but it didnt stop the water from backflowing. It then started to leak the second day. SO I guess that was bad too. SO this morning I went to petco and bought to cheapo check valves and installed one before and after the bubble counter. So far no water at ALL in the line and everything is functioning properly. I guess Ill know tomorrow if it was bad check valves.

If these fail, Im going to drop the $30 on the brass and glass bubble counter/check valve. If that doesnt work then I swear Ill march the whole unit into a professional gas provider and make them set it up for me lol. Thank you for all the posts!

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You HAVE to use the black rigid/soft co2 tubing on the UNS regulator to avoid it popping off.

8. Thanks c3an thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Swoof! You are right on the tubing. The co2 tubing I bought was soft clear tubing. That is the stuff that kept popping off. I tried the rigid kind I got online and it hasn't popped once. I think I also had bad check valves. Woke up this morning and everything is finally working as intended. Super happy. Thank you all for the help. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well so far it looks like it took 2 days for the check valves to allow back pressure to fill the diffuser and co2 line full of water. Fortunately neither line allowed water to back flow past the check valve, but they are definitely allowing air to leak past. Not sure if this is normal, so maybe someone can let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of where the water back flows to before it stopped this morning to help you guys visualize

IMG_0990.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on quality of diffusers it will happen, it's normal. As long as water doesn't past your check valve or if your tubing collapses.

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I do see one slight issue that could have been overlooked, your check valve. Its looks like a regular run of the mill plastic air line check valve. Those check valves can fail with co2, much higher pressure and the co2 can damage the interior of the valve making them not function. You need a stainless steel co2 check valve. You can check your LFS, I know CK Fish World carries them though call ahead of time.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kole is right, your check valve looks like a regular air pump check valve. CO2 will corrode it and non-CO2 tubing over time and cause it to fail. You can check out the GreenLeafAquarium website and they have CO2 rated check valve that I use for all my tanks. The stainless CO2 ones Kole mention works as well I used it in the past. I just like GLA atomizer check valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Well I do see one slight issue that could have been overlooked, your check valve. Its looks like a regular run of the mill plastic air line check valve. Those check valves can fail with co2, much higher pressure and the co2 can damage the interior of the valve making them not function. You need a stainless steel co2 check valve. You can check your LFS, I know CK Fish World carries them though call ahead of time.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyeNewen View Post
    Kole is right, your check valve looks like a regular air pump check valve. CO2 will corrode it and non-CO2 tubing over time and cause it to fail. You can check out the GreenLeafAquarium website and they have CO2 rated check valve that I use for all my tanks. The stainless CO2 ones Kole mention works as well I used it in the past. I just like GLA atomizer check valves.
    Just ordered a GLA CO2 atomizer with check valve and bubble counter ith check valve. I checked my tubing and its rigid Co2 rated. I guess the good news is plants are doing well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update, I cut all the low budget check valves out and added the GLA bubble counter and diffuser. Diffuser quality is like night and day. Same with the bubble counter. Ill keep you guys posted on the check valves. Thanks again!

17. Likes KeyeNewen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Khai
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just in case check valve doesn't allow CO2 to go through initially, you might have to crank up to 35 PSI to get CO2 flowing . After that you can dial it back down.
    I had that problem the first time, that's how Marco at GLA told me to do it. Their customer service is awesome.