Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New to the hobby.

Hello to anyone reading this my nickname is Chuy and thats what I go by all the time. Im just getting into the hobby after a few years of anticipating on it but always held back due to it being a pricey hobby. But beside that I finally the bought myself a 5 gallon rimless nano tank in the hopes of setting it up for my koi betta fish. I really don't want it to be any normal better tank and want to set it up with Co2 paint ball system and a canister filter but thats where my questions arise. Not on the Co2 system but on the Canister filter and weither which one would be most suitable for this tank or is I should just go with a Azoo Mignon Series(Just something not to loud since it'll be in my bedroom. Please any advice would be helpful and deeply appreciated.

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Chuy!

There are a couple of smaller canister filters that exist for picos and nanos.

Most people DO use smaller HOBs, like the azoo, and there are some hybrids which HOB but are canisters themselves, such as the zoo med.

The least expensive canisters come from SUN SUN, and might appear as overkill for a 5 gallon, but are still feasible for them.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you are interested in an internal filter- but I picked up a couple of Aqueon Quiet Flow filters and like 'em. I also have the Azoo and it also seems to move a lot of water for the size.

And welcome to the community. Great group of people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jesus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    Welcome, Chuy!

There are a couple of smaller canister filters that exist for picos and nanos.

Most people DO use smaller HOBs, like the azoo, and there are some hybrids which HOB but are canisters themselves, such as the zoo med.

The least expensive canisters come from SUN SUN, and might appear as overkill for a 5 gallon, but are still feasible for them.
    -Thank you for advice I truely appreciate it! Well I end going with one similar to the sun sun being a Polar Aurora.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannister filters consume alotta desk space... I'd go with a HOB filter instead. I dont even have a filter nor light for my betta fish... Low tech plants take care of O2 for me and sits next to my kitchen window for light but I do 30% weekly H2O change...

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a single betta in a 5G, I would also go low tech choosing plants like anubias, buce and moss all of this grows slow and stays small. I would skip co2 and a canister as both are not required and add to the budget which stated is already an issue for you. For a Single Betta, you probably would not need a filter as long as you maintain weekly water changes, the plants should take care of the rest.

If you do go with a filter, choose an azoo hob they are small, affordable, do the job and are reliable. A canister filter can be used if you really choose to purchase one, but will need to be dialed down considerably and cost about 4-20 times more than an azoo hob. If youw ant a cheap canister that will last a1-2 years grab a sunsun or jebao, if you want quality then choose an eheim, zoomed or sicce, I have never been fond of fluvals designs and every marineland canister filter I have ever owned has leaked.

If you do choose to add co2, it couldn't hurt, but again adds to the budget and if you stick to low tech plants it's not required. Most plants that would actually require co2, would not fit very well in your tank or would require lots of trimming to prevent overcrowding.

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and Welcome to Scape!!!