Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Algae... what kind?

I saw this while looking at my scape today... itís only on my crypt parva... dosing flourish, flourish potassium and running co2 I have a finnex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats BBA. I would use some 3% peroxide and squeeze it out onto it with a turkey baster. After an hour it should change color or bubble. If that doesn't kill it, do the same thing but with some seachem excell.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    Thats BBA. I would use some 3% peroxide and squeeze it out onto it with a turkey baster. After an hour it should change color or bubble. If that doesn't kill it, do the same thing but with some seachem excell.
    Iím hesitate to use the peroxide cause ive never done that, I do have seachem excel, will it be the same effect?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.under.ground View Post
    I’m hesitate to use the peroxide cause ive never done that, I do have seachem excel, will it be the same effect?

I've used peroxide in loads of tanks. It breaks down into oxygen and water. The only danger of using it is overdosing and killing off your filter. You can stop you filter for like 10-15 minutes if you're super worried but I've done it to systems running no problem. I've done like large doses without having an issue so the margin in which it kills off your filter is fairly high. I also spray it inside my tank when I do water changes now and then to kill wide-spread algae no problem.

The Excel you should be more scared about because overdosing excel is very deadly in my experience. However if it's only a few spots around the tank a syringe or two won't be enough to hurt it at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    I've used peroxide in loads of tanks. It breaks down into oxygen and water. The only danger of using it is overdosing and killing off your filter. You can stop you filter for like 10-15 minutes if you're super worried but I've done it to systems running no problem. I've done like large doses without having an issue so the margin in which it kills off your filter is fairly high. I also spray it inside my tank when I do water changes now and then to kill wide-spread algae no problem.

The Excel you should be more scared about because overdosing excel is very deadly in my experience. However if it's only a few spots around the tank a syringe or two won't be enough to hurt it at all.
    Where can I get the peroxide? Is it like the generic brand? Iím gonna have to look it up just incase. And yes itís only on a couple of leaves of the crypt parva. Itís the only plant that has it ive been looking at the other plants but nothing. Iím going to try the excel tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can I get the peroxide? Is it like the generic brand? I’m gonna have to look it up just incase. And yes it’s only on a couple of leaves of the crypt parva. It’s the only plant that has it ive been looking at the other plants but nothing. I’m going to try the excel tomorrow.

Hydrogen Peroxide is sold at like every generic pharmacy, 99cents store, target, etc. near like bandaids and stuff. All the brands are the same 3% unless you somehow find a random company with a higher percentage. 3% is what is recommended because it's very common.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U can pick em up @ ur local pharmacy store.... Hydrogen Peroxide... Walmart sells one that comes in a small spray bottle for a buck which is way easier to use than a syringe... Get the bigger bottles too so u can just refill the sprayer if u ran out. It will make ur plants look like they are pearling with bubbles once applied. I usually keep my filters off until I see the bubbles disappear which is about an hour. BBA is something that u have to get on top of due to its aggressive nature of quickly spreading in the tank. It took me about 3 months or so to completely get rid of it. ... Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BossLoRd View Post
    U can pick em up @ ur local pharmacy store.... Hydrogen Peroxide... Walmart sells one that comes in a small spray bottle for a buck which is way easier to use than a syringe... Get the bigger bottles too so u can just refill the sprayer if u ran out. It will make ur plants look like they are pearling with bubbles once applied. I usually keep my filters off until I see the bubbles disappear which is about an hour. BBA is something that u have to get on top of due to its aggressive nature of quickly spreading in the tank. It took me about 3 months or so to completely get rid of it. ... Best of luck!
    So should I spray it when the filter is off? Like when doing a water change? Is it cool if I pm you so you could tell me a step by step? Never dealt with bba, so Iím trying to be cautious, donít wanna kill anything in my tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Algae... what kind?

The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
    I followed this thread and now Iím seeing some bba in my fluval spec on a piece of a drift wood.... how often should I treat the area? and how effecting is the h202 or excel? Kinda stressing out since itís my first experience with bba. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...4&share_type=t
    I followed this thread and now I’m seeing some bba in my fluval spec on a piece of a drift wood.... how often should I treat the area? and how effecting is the h202 or excel? Kinda stressing out since it’s my first experience with bba. Thanks

I went aggressive myself and did spot treatments daily since I have a 55gal and have much room for error. I'd turn off the filter, spot treat and turn on the filter an hour later. I've read that you should only treat 1mL/gal but i went way over that limit daily and only lost an otto...

I have a 55 gal so