Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20g attempt at Iwagumi

All right, its my first aquascape so be gentle. finished planting yesterday and the water cleared up a bit this morning. Haven't added CO2 yet, still waiting on a couple parts. But so far so good. Had a lot of issues with the stem plants floating up from the substrate but I seem to have fixed it. The idea is very simple carpet around 3 rock formation with a small amount of color in the back to draw the eyes away from the heater, and intake/outflow. Hopefully it fills in nicely.

IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg

Thanks for all the help and advice from members.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr sc91006's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sidney
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice start, S. repens will carpet but you will need to trim it once it begins to get taller. This will stimulate it to send runners instead of growing tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sc91006 View Post
    Nice start, S. repens will carpet but you will need to trim it once it begins to get taller. This will stimulate it to send runners instead of growing tall.
    I didn't actually know they will run naturally. I just thought I had to cut the up growth and propagate and plant it. That's really good to know. Ill keep it tight once the roots set. Thanks for the info.

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. Can I ask why you started 2 threads for the same aquascape though?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One was in the beginner corner where I was asking questions during set up. Thought this forum would be more appropriate since its now set up. Im happy to delete one if I was wrong

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c3an View Post
    One was in the beginner corner where I was asking questions during set up. Thought this forum would be more appropriate since its now set up. Im happy to delete one if I was wrong
    Its not a problem, was just curious lol.
    After your stem plants grow out some you might want to try moving your heater behind some to hide it out of sight. A few small pieces of dragon stone placed around your big pieces may look nice as well after the carpet grows in, it can help accentuate the bigger pieces and looks cool having the tips come out through the carpet.
    Cant wait to see it fill in.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the feedback, I like the suggestions. I actually have some smaller pieces so Ill give that a shot. Trying to get the roots going so everything isn't so fragile then Im looking forward to playing around a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9. Thanks Kohaku thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    brian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking really good! Your are off to great start! Keeping it simple is the way to go. Cant wait to see the s. Repens fill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right well here is an update to the tank. With the guidance here I got through a lot of the initial set up hurdles. I was able to find vinyl tubing to replace the fluval ribbed lines and got the glass intake outflow to fit and it works great. The piping is a little rigid and curved so they don't sit totally perfect, but good for what I was trying to accomplish. Thanks to a member I was able to find a good bubble counter and atomizer/check valve for my CO2 so that's going great at 1.5 bubbles a second. I replaced the cheap LED light I had with a Kessil 180 tuna sun which I think was a mistake. It looks amazing, but I'm dealing with algae outbreaks everywhere and it seems to be killing my S Repens and building up on a lot of the plant leaves. I'm hoping this is new tank algae bloom blues and everything bounces back, but Im not too sure. Tank hasn't fully cycled yet so I cant add Amano shrimp and Nerite yet but I'm hoping that helps when I can. I'm at 0 Ammonia, 20 ppm Nitrate, 3 ppm Nitrite.

I guess Im just looking for some guidance on what to do with the algae. CK Fish world guys were great. They gave me some floating plants to try and help with the nutrient overload and I ordered a couple petite water lettuce as well. I have been doing 25% water changes weekly to try and reduce the nitrite and added a few more plants. Here are some photos for you guys to take a look at. Happy belated to turkey day to all!

IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1058.jpg

12. Likes Barliman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anthony Ragan
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think it looks great. I can see the dread green fuzz starting on your red plants (alternanthera?) It killed mine before I got the tank balanced.

I think you're seeing an algae outbreak in part because you switched to a more powerful light in the Kessil. As a suggestion, you might a)raise the light a few inches, or b) cut the photoperiod a bit. (How long do you have the lights on?) Also, you might experiment with upping the CO2: I got algae under control in my heavily planted 20-long when I upped it to 2-3 bubbles per second. (If I'm counting right, it's just under three.) What fertilizer are you using, and how often do you dose?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! I am at a 10 hour light cycle. I am using NA Thrive as a fert but I think thats where I ran into trouble. The first time I used it I had a huge Nitrite Nitrate spike and thats when the algae started. My thought is I started using fert before I had the nitrifying bacteria to deal with it and it caused an imbalance in the tank. The Kessil has an option to reduce the intensity so I have turned it down to about 50%. Ill try boosting the CO2 and see what affect that has as well. I would be really bummed if the algae kills the Ludwigia Super Red too. It did a number on the S Repens and if it kills the Ludwigia too, I might as well break the tank down as start over. I did raise the light about 3 inches off the water from where it was so that seemed to help. Oh well, all part of the learning process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Steve Thomas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FED4F2E4-3F64-4F3D-9F7A-6D1F6FDCF036.jpg

Just thought I would update the progression on my 20g iwagumi that is no longer an iwagumi. I battled some major melt on my s repens and almost lost all of it but it’s slowly coming back. The super red is going well and I’ve had to cut it back. I had a major algae bloom during the first cycle when nitrate and nitrite was abundant so I went with the siesta method on the lighting and picked up some Amano shrimp and nerite snails as soon as the water parameters allowed for it. With the combination of light change and clean up crew, the bloom disappeared. Still struggling with some melt on the crypt and the s repens but I’m happy with the progress.