Real Name
    Anastasia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selecting fish for my community tank

Hello everyone!

I'm still cycling my new planted tank, so I'm probably not adding fish too soon, but I'm starting to plan what species I want so that I have time to study up on them and their needs before I start buying. I have a 20g long with an Aquaclear 50 filter, Aqueon 150V heater, and NatGeo 24inch light (soon to be replaced with something longer and a bit brighter)

Here's what animals I'm thinking of (even numbers of males and females where possible):
    Shrimp (not sure what kind yet, maybe blue cherry shrimp?)
    6 Cherry Barbs
    6 salt-and-pepper corys (Corydoras habrosus)
    2 Honey Gourami

Of course I won't get all of them at once, I'll probably start with the shrimp, then get barbs, then corys, and last the honey gourami.

Does this seem like a good group?

SCAPE Member Just Planted Tiny_Fish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anastasia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, could you guys please advise me what would be good food to feed these guys? I know they are all omnivorous, but what sort of variety do they need? I'd prefer to stick to dry or frozen food, but I want to do right by my fish. My childhood experience with pet fish involved buying a giant can of flakes at Costco once a year (which I'm pretty sure isn't best practice), so I'm feeling a bit lost in all the other possibilities out there. What would a good basic routine be?

Also, how to I make sure the corys get enough food near the bottom of the tank, and aren't out-competed by the bolder fish? Is that a real concern or am I making it up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roger
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I can tell you shrimp with those fish is a very bad idea. I'd probably just go with the fish on ur list which is a good amount for your size tank and filter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Excuse me while I return to my forest

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anastasia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by regormang View Post
    So I can tell you shrimp with those fish is a very bad idea. I'd probably just go with the fish on ur list which is a good amount for your size tank and filter.
    I was going to get shrimp first, let them multiply for a bit, and then get the fish and hope the shrimp get eaten slower than they reproduce. My tank will have a lot of rocky nooks and areas of dense plants when everything grows in, do you think that won't be enough hiding spots? People do seem to keep shrimp in community tanks - is there a specific species on my list that will pose a large threat to them?

EDIT: Maybe I could get some Amano shrimp instead? I know they won't breed, but would they be large enough not to get eaten? I'd like to have some invertebrate to act as a cleaner, but I was hoping to avoid dealing with snails since their numbers seem harder to control.
    Last edited by Tiny_Fish; 10-12-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roger
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could be wrong about this but bigger fish tend to stress shrimp which would lead to shrimp not reproducing. Barbs especially are known to be aggressive. I've heard of people having some success keeping them together for a little while but very rare. eventually the fish wipe out the shrimp once they get a taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny_Fish View Post
    I was going to get shrimp first, let them multiply for a bit, and then get the fish and hope the shrimp get eaten slower than they reproduce. My tank will have a lot of rocky nooks and areas of dense plants when everything grows in, do you think that won't be enough hiding spots? People do seem to keep shrimp in community tanks - is there a specific species on my list that will pose a large threat to them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anastasia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by regormang View Post
    I could be wrong about this but bigger fish tend to stress shrimp which would lead to shrimp not reproducing. Barbs especially are known to be aggressive. I've heard of people having some success keeping them together for a little while but very rare. eventually the fish wipe out the shrimp once they get a taste.
    Is there anything then that I could keep as a cleaner species? It seems like most of the fish do this are either too big for my tank, or need to be in a group larger than I can support while still having other fish. Snails don't like soft acidic water, and breed like crazy. What else is there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roger
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny_Fish View Post
    Is there anything then that I could keep as a cleaner species? It seems like most of the fish do this are either too big for my tank, or need to be in a group larger than I can support while still having other fish. Snails don't like soft acidic water, and breed like crazy. What else is there?
    Amano shrimp and otos are my clean up crew. I think that's for most of us here.