User Tag List

Thread: Was is this and how do I get rid of it?

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr dave7739's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was is this and how do I get rid of it?

Brown algae from what I can tell from the net? over feeding is one cause(may be guilty of that) too low light or lights on too long based on my research. Got it off the wall with micro fiber cloth, but it came back. Which critters eat it? Don't want to do plecos just yet (trying to keep the Tang. vibe going). Thinking maybe a nerite or two. I dunno just need some advice all is appreciated. I have to move the tank so might just redo the rock work and start over. Thinking about round river type rocks stacked high in the corner with more open area for the shell dwellers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr sc91006's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sidney
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First is this a new tank setup? If so don't worry too much just get some nerites or algae eaters and the problem will be eaten away. Also, do a 20% water change. Yes, over feeding can attribute to the algae bloom. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been up since the end of august, but just upgraded the single t5 flouro to a Current USA led type light, but it was there before switching the lights. Thanks was thinking about a nerve or two. Is to true they don't lay eggs until the reach certain size? I understand they won't hatch in a freshwater tank.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMAG0213.jpg

This is what the tank looks like now. 40 gal acrylic, 5 caudopunctatus (1 pair, I think) and a very young L. Kendali and one pond snail that I sometimes see. Java fern and anubius attached to some rocks and driftwood.

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current TYPE?

This could be many things.

Bulbs /lighting spectrums that have worn down or were never at an appropriate place to begin with will sometimes turn from 6500k range to a warmer range between 3000 and 4500k.

Current, as a brand, is not quite a finnex (which is generally pretty great), but not a poor spectrum desk lamp either.

Brown diatoms in your setup are often from excess nutrients, either in form of too much feeding, too many ferts, or a side effect of your substrate or your soil.

What substrate are you using?

What is the make and model of your light?

How are your nitrate levels?

Do you test for anything else? Are you running or have co2? Can you increase surface breakage of your water line (cause additional turbulence in your water movement?)

What kind of filter system are you running, including filtration medias?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well,
    It's a current freshwater led +
    I probably over feed, sometimes I see uneaten food on the substrate( I siphon it off every couple of days)
    substrate is pool filter sand
    not sure about nitrate levels, water checked by the local fish store and nothing was out of the ordinary. no Co2
    filter is a penn plax cascade 1200 rated for (100 gal tank?)with the OEM filter media with some ceramic media added. the sprayer seems to agitate the surface enough that I get fine bubbles under the surface
    Don't know if this helps, the primary goal is the well being of the fish but since the tank is in my living room I/the wife want it to look as nice as possible and brown algae
    is not pretty.
    I can adjust the yellow levels of the leds, is more yellow better for the plants?

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...

What is your lighting schedule?