Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saving private amanos lol

So two days ago I reinstalled my CO2 setup after refilling my tanks. And I have left home the entire day and came back at my usual time to turn it off everything was normal and fine my fish were fine my shrimp were fine my plants were great. The next day I turned it on again and left home for 3 hours however I did not notice the flow of CO2 was extremely high I came back put my daughter to nap and took a look at my tank and noticed all 13 of my amano's were on their sides or swimming upside down their legs we're paralyzed but their abdomen flap thing is I don't know what it's called they were still able to swim they were barely alive I thought for sure they were all going to die at the same time. What I did was I use my fingers to go through all my plants and find each and every single one of them all the same I put them in a net and transfer them to my blue shrimp tank which has no CO2 in it they were all paralyzed and just lying at the bottom of the tank. I have left them there overnight come to see this morning I had only lost one of them he was pink and dead but all my other shrimp are up on their feet eating and trying to move about still slightly paralyzed. So I'm making this thread to let y'all know if you see your shrimp still moving around just even a little bit there is a chance you can save them transfer them to new water with no CO2 in it leave them there for approximately 24 to 48 hours to fully recuperate they should be fine I also noticed that all my Guppies which usually hang out at the top two graze for food on the surface of the water are all in all swimming along the tank so I learned a great lesson to pay touch to the flow of CO2 into my tank I think I may have lost a great deal of guppy babies I do not see nearly as many as I did before it's sad because they were all newborns but my lesson is well learned20180926_122846.jpg
    "Keep your sleeves wet"

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dax
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moving them into a tank with an airstone may help them recuperste much faster.

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always do a 45% or larger water change in situations like this.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr Ravensrose29's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didnt do a water change because i just did a 50% a day prior
    "Keep your sleeves wet"

Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensrose29 View Post
    I didnt do a water change because i just did a 50% a day prior

What Ben is insinuating, is the water change will eliminate the saturated carbon dioxide in the water causing asphyxia in the inhabiting organisms.

I think every single one of us has a co2 story where we have done this or similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, we have all had some major disasters with CO2 and fish and shrimp gasping for air or worst, floating critters! I'm glad mostly all your Amanos lived to swim again!