SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if a blacklight flashlight would make the good or bad eggs shine differently? Might be worth a look. Also here is an item on my wishlist https://amzn.to/2qvy36L it is a USB microscope there are others in the $20 range this one is $27). Maybe you could check them to quickly see if they are not developing and use a pipette to remove the dead ones.

usbmicroscope.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    I wonder if a blacklight flashlight would make the good or bad eggs shine differently? Might be worth a look. Also here is an item on my wishlist https://amzn.to/2qvy36L it is a USB microscope there are others in the $20 range this one is $27). Maybe you could check them to quickly see if they are not developing and use a pipette to remove the dead ones.

usbmicroscope.jpg
    I've tried it. Sometimes it works but often it's just the reflection off the plate or whatever I was using to hold them. What I do now is after they lay I let the eggs sit in the tank for 1 day to color up. It's getting easier to sort but I will end up with less overall eggs but more with much more successful batches from what I've seen.

After a few hours and they change color often what I do is put them in a container and do alot of squinting to figure out thier overall color but it does take awhile. It's very annoying when you get 2-3 spawns in one batch so some eggs are fully colored up and others are questionable.

3. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    Been doing some experiments with some of my adolfoi babies. So I had this 9gal grow out tank in my living room that I was using for my sterbai and stuff. Well it got detritus worms, and I mean like a TON of detritus worms. Usually most people would do a gravel vac and feed less to get rid of them. I decided to try raising entire batches of corydoras just off the worms and dry-food (aquarium coop fry food). So far the test has been very successful with a large number of duplicareus surviving past 2 weeks now off just dry food and all the mulm/detritus worms in that little tank. I think I am going to try doing this for alot of my batches as it seems to be a pretty good method of raising babies easily with very little die off.

Notice the detritus worms in the substrate. There are 2 week old adolfoi next to some day old newly hatched fry

Tank just has black diamond blasting sand, Sponge filter, nicrew led, and a little fluval heater.

Update on the babies that I posted about a month ago. They're all doing very well. All I do is a bucket waterchange every 1.5week and give a double squeeze of the aquarium coop food into the tank. Works great.

They like to party on the sponge filter. At Least around 30-40 of em. 20 of these guys are going to get shipped to texas soon for a friend to start a colony of them First time shipping, going to follow all the regular stuff. Styro lined box, Polyfilter, 72hour heatpacks the whole shebang.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update pics

Ones I still have in my breeding tank. Probably going to keep most to create an even larger colony.

These are the ones from 11/3 Only 2 months ago. I shipped them out to a friend in Texas who wanted them and they all arrived alive after 4.5 days in the mail. +1 for good shipping practices and watching tons of youtube on how to ship fish

6. Likes stormvisions, Barliman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    shawn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good job breeding them kyle! i am planning to breed my cory's in 2019 need to set up some tanks first!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    good job breeding them kyle! i am planning to breed my cory's in 2019 need to set up some tanks first!
    Awesome what species of corydoras do you have? I think I saw you had eques awhile back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    shawn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    Awesome what species of corydoras do you have? I think I saw you had eques awhile back.
    cw45
    cw49
    cw28
    eques

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cw45
    cw49
    cw28
    eques
    Good luck man, most of those are rarely bred in captivity. Eques and the 28 are probably the only ones possible the other two I dont think anyone has done. I was planning on trying to breed some eques I got from Derek's Fish but he shipped out fish with internal parasites and we were having problems with them slowly dying off Never buying from that dude again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    shawn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i believe frank falcone and this other guy on aquabid have bred the cw049 seen him sell F1 on aquabid. but i think mostly cuz they are pretty rare to come by. and when they're for sale the price is pretty steep. and people are turn off by the price. took me awhile to find cw45 and cw49. sorry to hear about the eques. they're probably the smartest corys i have. they would eat from the surface and graze the surface for food. they are all over the place when hungry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear about the eques. they're probably the smartest corys i have. they would eat from the surface and graze the surface for food. they are all over the place when hungry.
    Does that mean they have a big brain or a big stomach? LOL

13. Likes Shawn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    shawn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    Does that mean they have a big brain or a big stomach? LOL
    they're smart pigs

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on this breeding setup. I recently upgraded them to a 20 long from a 20 tall. Eventually I will be tearing down the 20tall but for now it's used as a grow out of the fry I have left. During this move I got 2 new wild caught duplicareus to add to my group of 8 from Lotus. After collecting my group of 8 into a cup and letting them calm down I now know I have a 50/50 split of females to males. Even with the 2 new additions I think I am still 50/50 which is not good but not super bad either. Ideally you would want like 60-70% males. For now the 20 is just going to be how I usually have my holding tanks setup. Heater, Good filtration, sand. I also threw in the 20$ of chrismas moss from @amzreefs just for fun to see how much it will grow in a 20long with an okay nicrew delux led. For now it makes a great cover and spawning mop for my group!

This tank I decided to use a Filstar XP filter I had on the old 20tall and leave the 20tall with just a sponge filter. So far its been doing great and the flow from the canister really gives the cories a fun jetstream to swim against. This morning I found some eggs but not a ton. Seems like only one female decided to spawn considering I find the eggs in groups of 30-35-60-65-90-120 I think every 30 is about one fully loaded female. After sorting I am left with around 25-28 good eggs tumbling away so we will see how those go in a few days.

In other news I had a small spawn of around 10-15 sterbai eggs in another tank I decided to try hatching out for fun. I put the hatchlings in the 9gal that was over run with ditritus worms and now today (a week or so later) I have around 7-8 that are fat and happy. I probably will be doing the same with the duplicareus when they hatch. I seemed to have good results with this method last time aswell on a spawn of 60, about 55 grew out with 0 effort towards raising baby brine.

Picture spam time.
    My original group of 8

2 New wild caught ones from Lotus Aquarium. Left is male, right is female. Look at the dorsal fins and overall shape .

The best scape in existence.

Close up of Sterbai Corydora 1w old (Notice the detritus worms!. No life food or regular feeding on this tank yet super healthy and fat.)

Detritus worm party

16. Likes Aquaman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on the corydoras sterbai in the last post. Here is a little collage with the sterbai from my Insta @Moostanks Bottom picture is 11 days old, middle is around 20, the top picture is today at 40 days old! Living off nothing but detritus worms, aquarium coop fry food, and bug bites occasionally.

18. Likes aquamaniac, jayo liked this post