Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Harry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fish Suicide

I ask petsmart employees anything i need to know. and they said nope u got everything. doesnt tell me danios like to jump. doesnt tell me how much to feed. well i could google all this but im lazy.......... today came back from school and saw my fish DISAPPEARED. i guess it jumped into the black hole behind my cabinet which holds the tank... so i googled and they do jump, but only when they are newly introduced to tanks... i hope the rest dont jump.. if they do good bye they dont want to see me. i did lower the water and my edges have extra plastic to block but idont know how it managed to jump....

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Harry... when it comes to fish purchases, 3 suggestions...

1) avoid petsmart and petco, find a good LFS (like those commonly mentioned here)... fish sold at large chains are seldom kept in good conditions and are of questionable health
    2) take any advice from employees at these large stores with a grain of salt, unlike LFS - fish isn’t the focus of these stores and seldom to u get a really knowledgeable seller (am sure there’s some exceptions)...
    3) Do research and avoid impulse buys... a simple search prior to purchasing would have saved you from what you experienced... look into things like schooling habits, habitat, food requirements, etc and you’ll find yourself with a much more satisfying experience and a happy tank...

3. Likes catfishblues liked this post
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Shoulan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nolan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the one good thing about places like petsmart and petco is that they have a good return/exchange policy if your fish dies within like... 2 weeks or something I think. Lol. But I do agree with Mike that most of their employees aren't that knowledgable. They probably don't even know that fish can jump. For feeding, I'd go with the feeding directions on the fish food you got.

As for the jumping thing, you can always get a cover for your tank. Danios are what I started with too, but if I remember correctly, I've always had a cover on my tank so I never had to worry about jumpers. If your tank is new, check your water parameters often. Maybe use a little more water conditioner than you need. Danios are hardy fish, so as long as your water is ok, they should acclimate pretty easily.

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There a great petco and petsmarts, and there are terrible ones, and the great ones still are a chain store (people who get hired because they need a jo. And like a particular set of animals).

Generally, I buy alot of my dry goods from themand log on to either chewy or petco.com to fenagle their over priced ness when I do.

That being said, my local petco has one gal I can trust, and one guy I can haggle with. It took me years (at least 8 now) of really working with them before gaining confidence. I do not believe I have had a fish dead in any purchase from my local petco in the 3 years I have been buying from them in confidence,but they are one of those exceptional ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends on who works there and how much they care. The fish department at petsmart is not even a "title" you can specifically apply for. People get assigned it when applying for "sales associate". So the people who work the department may not even care about fish when in reality they just wanted to work at petsmart and eventually get moved to cashier etc overtime. They do have to pass some digital tests and stuff but that's about it and it's often on basic information. Petco you can apply directly to the fish debt but as I said in the beginning it all comes down to the employees.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I had the same problem but I didnít buy them from petco, I bought them from a local fish store called trekkers, I bought 6 golden zebra danios and now I only have 3... maybe they jumped too and I kinda had an idea they did..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Just Planted dave7739's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had the same issue before I had my cat, now sometimes they just disappear

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Temple City, I recommend Super Pets. Good variety and decent staff last I was there.

10. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said, they are some exceptions... but unfortunately the one you purchased from doesn’t seem to be one... I say, why take a chance with tank health and $$$, go to a store that’s proven trustworthy... I buy lots of stuff for my home “zoo” from both petsmart and petco, just not fish... they are wonderful stores and generally with well meaning staff... just on something as delicate as fish and shrimp, go with speciality stores... whatever you choose though, you’ll be in a good way if you research the fish b4 purchase...

As this is generally a plant/shrimp based site, you may also wish to check out forums like tropicalfishkeeper, apistogramma.com, monsterfishkeeper for further info... but definitely ask questions here too about specific fish care and types.... don’t feel bad either, I’ve had plenty a fish “end it all” from my tanks too... best wishes...
    Last edited by Bongox3; 09-14-2018 at 11:33 PM.

SCAPE Member Just Planted crazykiddo1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Harry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    In Temple City, I recommend Super Pets. Good variety and decent staff last I was there.
    WOOPS i meant super pets the whole time not petsmart xD ..... for some reason i have like 4 different types of algae in my tank and its only 30 gallons... whyyyyyyyyyy i just got the tank to

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The store can't be the only reason you have algae. There are other things to factor in.

SCAPE Member Just Planted crazykiddo1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Harry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea i know it was a different topic i was just windering how could there be so many types in one tank lol. nothing to do with the store at all.