User Tag List

Thread: Is this LED NatGeo light good enough for a low-tech tank?

SCAPE Member Just Planted Tiny_Fish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anastasia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this LED NatGeo light good enough for a low-tech tank?

Hi!

I recently obtained a secondhand 20g long tank that came with a cover, stand, filter, light, and heater. I really only wanted that tank, cover, and stand, so I didn't look into the other accessories much before I got them, and now I'm trying to figure out which ones to keep and which to replace. I'm planning on using the tank for a low-tech aquascape housing some small fish (still choosing plants, but they will all be low-light varieties).

I'm not sure if the light I have is right for this, and I was wondering if anyone else is familiar with it: its a 24" NatGeo LED light with two strips of LEDs, and as far as I can tell its the same as this one from petsmart. I'd prefer to keep it for now since I'm new to the hobby and don't want to spend too much money right away, but if it isn't suitable then I'd appreciate suggestions for a replacement!

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is probably ok for low tech, but I would choose at least a finnex instead.

A 20g long does not require much, but this doesnt have much flood, as opposed to spot. So a 24 inch over a 30 is going to severely limit the 3 inches on either side.

SCAPE Member Just Planted Tiny_Fish's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Anastasia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then could I just not plant anything in the areas not covered by the light? I was hoping to have a small group of pygmy cories in there eventually, and they might appreciate a stretch of unplanted sand (maybe with some driftwood, so they dont feel too exposed).