User Tag List

Thread: Anyone have info on where to donate childrens books?

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have info on where to donate childrens books?

Hey guys I have a pretty hefty load of childrens books, over 100 easy. I know the obvious places like the library, goodwill and some other programs that I googled, however I don't really want to the books to end up getting sold to pay someones salary.I want these books to go to a good place where they will benefit the most people. Has anyone donated books? Do you know a good place to donate?

I found "Books for Africa" online, however they are not local to me. Shipping the books, would cost a small fortune... Anyone know a good local place? I know we have a wide range of people on Scape Social workers, Law enforcement, Teachers/Educators. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Hey guys I have a pretty hefty load of childrens books, over 100 easy. I know the obvious places like the library, goodwill and some other programs that I googled, however I don't really want to the books to end up getting sold to pay someones salary.I want these books to go to a good place where they will benefit the most people. Has anyone donated books? Do you know a good place to donate?

I found "Books for Africa" online, however they are not local to me. Shipping the books, would cost a small fortune... Anyone know a good local place? I know we have a wide range of people on Scape Social workers, Law enforcement, Teachers/Educators. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
    Have you tried going around to any of the local schools? I know a lot of teachers have to pay for things out of their own pockets these days. You could probably divide those up among 4 or 5 kindergarten/1st grade classes. Kids for years would be able to read them.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

3. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Glen
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riley’s Red Wagon in Long Beach! It’s a wagon on the sidewalk where you can donate books. Rules are simple, if you want to take a book you have to leave one. Been around for years

https://www.facebook.com/RedWagonBookSwap/
    Fluval Spec V - Male Black Dragon Betta / OEBT and Sakura/FR Neos
    UNS 3N - Wild-type Neos

"...you can noodle with the layout forever... have fun!"
    -octanejunkie

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glenCOCO View Post
    Riley’s Red Wagon in Long Beach! It’s a wagon on the sidewalk where you can donate books. Rules are simple, if you want to take a book you have to leave one. Been around for years

https://www.facebook.com/RedWagonBookSwap/
    I should be in LB this weekend, I will definitely donate a few books here thank you Glen!
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also save some of them for a month or two and donate them to Toys for Tots for their Christmas drives.

More Tanks!

7. Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Have you tried going around to any of the local schools? I know a lot of teachers have to pay for things out of their own pockets these days. You could probably divide those up among 4 or 5 kindergarten/1st grade classes. Kids for years would be able to read them.

ABC school district pays their teachers nearly six figures, verified via website. The schools in my area are very well stocked and frequently have successful mandatory fundraisers and we as parents get a list of supplies that need to be donated at the beginning of the school year and everything gets donated and then some. I found a group that puts books in the hands of impoverished intercommunity kids. It looks like I may be splitting up the books to go to multiple sources. Which I am fine with as long as they get used as second hand books and not sold. I find that there are too many "overhead costs" that eat up funds when dealing with this type of "non-profit" Like cars4kidz that sells donated vehicles on ebay and the majority of the money they earn goes to operational costs, advertizing and payroll.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kars4ki...donors-report/
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also save some of them for a month or two and donate them to Toys for Tots for their Christmas drives.

They only accept new donations.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look into the Head Start program. My aunt used to be a teacher for them. They work with low income families to get them ready for school. A lot of the families were ESL and they needed help learning basics so they don't fall behind once they start kindergarten.

11. Thanks Zenzu thanked for this post
    Likes Zenzu liked this post
    SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven’t donated them yet.... my unit always encounters kids that go without, especially in the areas i cover... I’ll be in touch as soon as I’m back...
    Very cool of you to do too!!!

13. Thanks Zenzu thanked for this post
    Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongox3 View Post
    If you haven’t donated them yet.... my unit always encounters kids that go without, especially in the areas i cover... I’ll be in touch as soon as I’m back...
    Very cool of you to do too!!!
    Mike I will give you a hefty load of books, shoot me a text when you get back in town.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

15. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
    Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Look into the Head Start program. My aunt used to be a teacher for them. They work with low income families to get them ready for school. A lot of the families were ESL and they needed help learning basics so they don't fall behind once they start kindergarten.
    This is perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for. A lot of the books are early ready books. Baby - 2nd grade. Then there is a lot of AR reading books average kids books 3rd grade - 6th grade.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

17. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    This is perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for. A lot of the books are early ready books. Baby - 2nd grade. Then there is a lot of AR reading books average kids books 3rd grade - 6th grade.
    Hopefully you find one nearby. When my aunt was doing it, she would have to go visit some of the families for weekly sessions since they didn't have the means of getting to a preschool even if they were allowed in at no cost. I used to help during their Christmas drives.