Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking into Changing Companies/ Leaving Cali for Texas

Slight Rant/Dialog

Over the years for me I thought I would stay in Cali forever or a good chunk of my life. But this last year I have noticed even though I have gained some nice raises, they have only kept up/fallen behind my "home operating expenses" Due to kids, taxes, and food costs rising. The culture in my City has gone from a mild country home town feel to Busy city life something I am not as much as a fan of. I have cut down on my leisure/unnecessary operating costs but have found that even though I have lowered those costs my savings has not increase by much.

This being said I am starting to look outside of Cali and Looking at Texas as a place to settle in. (lower mortgage, no income tax)
    My employment is Electrical Engineering for an Aerospace Company. If anyone has contacts or knows of good Companies to work for outside of (Lockheed, Raytheon, Bell) I am all ears.

Also if anyone has recommendations of locations to live in Texas I wouldn't mind hearing those ideas also.

2. Likes stormvisions, John7429 liked this post
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't blame you. The cost of living and quality of life out here in Cali is rough. My daughter is here so here I will stay. I keep telling her when it comes time to think of college look outside of California and look to set up roots elsewhere as well. I know I will be in California for at least 6-7 more years.
    Good luck with the move, best of luck to ya.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

4. Likes ACalmADDFreak liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve only visited Texas, but each time was better than the last... very nice people at least in Austin, Killen (Fort Hood), and Dallas...and the BBQ out there is worth the move alone! I agree, California (especially LA and the Bay Area) are off the charts expensive and the urban sprawl is worsening...I don’t care what stats police agencies are putting out, crime rates are ridiculous high in both areas too... i was in SF on vacation, chilling at the Hilton,and some poor guy got stabbed - I watched from my window as SFPD was putting up crime scene tape...I went up there to escape from this down here! I’m older now, so my roots are deep here, but if I was a young man I’d be gone for sure!

6. Likes ACalmADDFreak liked this post
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has got to be something for you in Austin. That's where all the tech geeks in your shoes are going.aerospace is a niche one, but i bet you could settle well there.

8. Likes ACalmADDFreak liked this post
    SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr Aquaman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Erick
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest getting a LinkedIn account and update all your expertise and companies will target you for employment and you could do the same as well. Right now its a very good time to look for a job, there are more job openings than people available.

10. Likes ACalmADDFreak liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr ACalmADDFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Aquaman Yeah part of what has spawned this decision to move and look for a new job is the linkedin account. A number of people are contacting me since I am very marketable being 4-5 years into my career. So far nothing from Texas. Most from Cali or East Coast.
    I have been looking for that right job that I will be happy at since I would like to settle long term just not quite the right place yet. @NickShades I have started looking elsewhere outside of Dallas Fort Worth since that was the initial scene of big markets of aerospace. Will Check out Austin to see if there are some aerospace places that I am Not familiar with. So far it has been BAE which was a customer once. @Bongox3 I have heard community BBQ is like a weekly thing in some areas and it is worth moving out to. Unfortunately I do have deep roots with my parents and siblings here in cali but Cali inhospitable environment is slowly choking us and making living here not much fun like it use to.

12. Likes Aquaman liked this post
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Papa Smurf's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Phillip
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved out here from Dallas in 2013 and spent a good chunk of my life in TX. I would say do it! The hospitality and quality of life is much better. I made less than half my current salary in TX and we were more than comfortable providing for the lifestyle we want. Put things in perspective, 1br 900sqft apt - at that time - with all appliances, was $700 a month. I paid double that in LA until I decided to buy a place. Still for the price we bought our condo. I could have bought a 4br house with 2car garage in TX. Housing prices have gone a bit since Toyota and State farm moved to Dallas. Plano, suburb North of Dallas. Has a pretty good school district. Any questions let me know.

14. Likes ACalmADDFreak liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr ACalmADDFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    TJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Papa Smurf yeah looking for areas that have good schools, family friendly, active community, safe areas type of thing. Thank you in advance for any advice you give.

16. Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Papa Smurf's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Phillip
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best school districts are usually associated with the schools that have the best football teams. Football is big part of the culture in Texas. Some schools have multi-million dollar stadiums! So Allen, Frisco, Westlake, Southlake, Highland Park are usually the best school districts.
    Each city has parts that are safer than others. I would just look up the crime stats to be sure. If I moved back I would likely start looking in Frisco. It's probably one the better areas to raise a family.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

18. Thanks ACalmADDFreak thanked for this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phillip gave excellent advice... don’t go by stats only though, many agencies “adapt” them to look “effective”... if you really want to know a community before a move, schedule a ride along with the police/sheriff department that patrols the area... you’ll see things that most residents don’t even know are present in their neighborhood (narcotics, prostitution, gangs, violence, etc) and once you get most cops talking, you’ll get a truly honest picture of the area...

20. Thanks ACalmADDFreak thanked for this post