Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meeting Auctions Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    “5-8 minutes” is a bit of an exaggeration, man.

I agree the auction process could use some refining, but it is a good problem to have.

Are any members of the board specifically responsible for how the auctions work?
    I don't see any way in reducing the auction times unless the amount of items that can be auctioned is reduced. And I don't think anybody would like that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sergeant of Marines 3000 posts, Grand Master SCAPER John7429's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
    I don't see any way in reducing the auction times unless the amount of items that can be auctioned is reduced. And I don't think anybody would like that.

There are many ways

New Tank Build Thread!

Dont insult me with your low-balls

Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

Reptiles: 15+ turtles/tortoises

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

1x dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    There are many ways
    Show me da way Mr. John!

4. Likes John7429 liked this post
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meeting Auctions Discussion

The main one I keep pushing at EVERY meet. Everyone not running needs to be out in front of the auctioneer. Not off to this side or that, keep your hand up till the price is out of your range. Wear name tags with your user name on it. I don't feel like mentioning more.

6. Likes John7429 liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think reducing the items is a solid idea

Towards the end of every auction, it seems like we have more items to sell than we have serious bidders.

What if we had a limited number of items per category? Like each auction had 25 slots for plants, 20 for live animals, 10 for hardware...? I am just brainstorming.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

8. Likes CaliGold liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    The main one I keep pushing at EVERY meet. Everyone not running needs to be out in front of the auctioneer. Not off to this side or that, keep your hand up till the price is out of your range. Wear name tags with your user name on it. I don't feel like mentioning more.
    Acknowledging those points, we should be mindful of setting up a specific, shaded area for auction participants to gather.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

SCAPE Member SCAPEr AquaGreenThumb's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sonny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it possible to have both silent and live auction? Prioritize the items and the top items get the live auction.

11. Likes CaliGold liked this post
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towards the end of every auction, it seems like we have more items to sell than we have serious bidders.

What if we had a limited number of items per category? Like each auction had 25 slots for plants, 20 for live animals, 10 for hardware...? I am just brainstorming.
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGreenThumb View Post
    is it possible to have both silent and live auction? Prioritize the items and the top items get the live auction.
    The problem with trying to limit the auction is that the auction is where the club makes a lot of its money to put back into the club with the grand raffle meets. Less auction items means less profit which means less of a grand raffle.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

13. Likes yogi1774 liked this post
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acknowledging those points, we should be mindful of setting up a specific, shaded area for auction participants to gather.
    I made a suggestion for ck, no one cared. There isn't always enough shaded area. Also the eezee ups reduce visibility of the auctioneer with everyone standing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roger
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my first auction and I just felt we could have mixed things better. It felt like we went thru long periods of just plants. Maybe we can try 5 plants then 5 shrimp and 5 tanks etc.. just a nicer mix instead of doing plants all at the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Excuse me while I return to my forest

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very difficult to organize all pieces of the auction into categories, but, if it WERE possible to do all anubias in their same chunk, etc, it would certainly help.

But.

That would be sooooo difficult. It would takeg, perhaps, just as much time just to sort as it would to sell half the auction.

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone is good at programming Java, please hit me up, as a scape app, here would truly benefit us.

We could plug in the item number per each auction as it goes up, and everyone could be notified precisely of what it was, etc.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each item is automatically numbered when its registered.

If i may suggest, before the auction start please sort all the number in order.

By doing this all Scape member have an access to Scape.auction website to see which number they are interested to participate.

As one of the bidder, most of the time i cant hear whats the item is being auctioned, sometimes its a bit too fast.

I agree with Kole limiting the item is not a good idea for the club and member.

19. Likes yogi1774 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see, as separate from the auction, a member sales table. That would be perfect for cheap, more common items - five bags of pearlweed, java moss, floaters, etc, that a member could set at a cheap price and it could just be sold. Saves auction time, preserves the goal of Scape meets being a place to get good deals and for members to spread their excess stuff around, gives more options to people who can't stick around for 5+ hours. Ideally we could either just set a donation percentage for sales (25%?), which would make it really easy to implement, or add a field to the auction site that says "sale/auction" which determines which table it gets set on, but tracking is otherwise identical.

21. Likes GettinTanked liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

This is exactly the growing pains we went through 10 years ago. All these suggestions and ideas have been discussed and tried. When I get a few minutes, I'll try to explain the pros and cons. Some worked. Some didn't. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer. Just saying we've been there and done that.

The biggest challenge is getting the folks WITH the above experience to LEAD going forward. As long as the seasoned members and leaders don't implement the things that worked and the things that didn't, we're going to continue in circles.

New Tank Build Thread!

Currently running: 270g monster fish, 180g monster fish, 180g planted (coming soon!), 90g community, 75g cichlid, 2x 7g planted, 6.7g planted, 2g planted, 2.5g opae

Birds: 1x African grey, 2x double yellow headed amazons, 1x umbrella cockatoo, 1x sun conure

1x dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've moved auction-related posts to a new thread so we don't hijack this thread

http://scapeclub.org/forum/showthrea...ons-Discussion

New Tank Build Thread!

1x dog

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been to a meet or a SCAPE auction but just as an fyi when we have church auctions some of the items are silent auction items. They are on view on tables, people write their offer for the item number and drop it into a box. They can do this at any time until the main auction ends and then highest bid for item wins it. You could also set a minimum bid of say 50% or whatever of the item value on a card next to each item just to make sure nobody gets it for a penny. If you suss out a particular group of items by category (ie filter stuff) or by price range (i.e. items valued under $15) you could invite people donating items to voluntarily use the silent auction at your next auction and see how it goes. In theory if 1/2 the items are done this way you save half the time. If they are the lower cost items, and you have minimums set then you should not lose any money.

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see the problem with trying to organize everything how you guys are asking is there simply isnt enough room or time. Theres not enough room on 2 tables to categorize things, most of the time stuff is piled on top of itself because there isn't much table space. Stuff is usually falling off onto the floor. It would take quite a while to try to categorize that many items too, especially when people don't show up at the same time to load up the auction, it happens over the course of an hour or 2. And then theres always people who haven't registered their items so thats being done, people don't label their items properly so the items have to be rechecked with CGAR as theyre being auctioned. The auctioneer always says it before and during the auction too, stand where you can easily be seen, keep your hand raised if your bidding, if your not bidding don't do something that makes it look like you are and confuse the auctioneer.
    Another thing I noticed as a runner was how much the crowd was talking and how loud it was when auctioning items. I know the meetings are social gatherings, but if your not interested in an item don't just start up a conversation. Other people join in on your conversation and it couldve made it to where the person standing by you couldn't hear when an item theyve been waiting on is up for bidding.
    Another thing that I think will make the auction items geared more towards people who want to buy them is that people don't utilize the "Meeting Wanted to Buy/Sell/Trade" threads we put up before the auction enough. Those threads are put up for people to get an idea of whats wanted in the auction so people who have these things can bring em. Most of the time these are left pretty blank so people (like myself) just bring a wide assortment of everything they have. This leads to a lot of the common varieties of plants being in the auction. Also, if your asking for something in these threads then please actually bid on those items. People were asking for lots of moss and floaters, people brought lots of them, and nobody really wanted to bid on them.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

26. Likes stormvisions, John7429 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to respond to some of the suggestions made as well as provide a bit of my added thoughts/suggestions:

See a few of the suggestions below. We've tried this. This isn't the biggest or longest meeting in SCAPE history.

SCAPE has generally avoided putting limits on auctions because it is the main way of generating revenue. The auctions, in general, have struggled in recent years. That includes raffle meetings. The last meet was actually unusually successful and I’m sure the leaders were caught off guard. Better planning next time is all that’s needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    It is very difficult to organize all pieces of the auction into categories, but, if it WERE possible to do all anubias in their same chunk, etc, it would certainly help.
    But. That would be sooooo difficult. It would takeg, perhaps, just as much time just to sort as it would to sell half the auction.
    We've tried limiting the number of "items" each person can submit for auction (10 per member) as well as recommend people group their like items together (e.g. instead of 3 bags of golfball java moss, make it one large portion/item). It worked ok when needed but it’s very hard to judge that when people wait to the last minute to post their auction items on the site and/or RSVP the day of the meet.

Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post

People NOT paying attention is a HUGE factor. “WHAT’S THAT AGAIN” “HOW MANY SHRIMP” RIGHT after the auctioneer just said exactly that makes the item take twice as long. People need to be respectful (to EACH OTHER) and keep the auction area quiet and focused. I’m not saying it needs to be silent but the MEMBERS should be shushing each other, not the jackass former Marine only (me). Discussions between members is FINE, just do it elsewhere or before/after the auction. That’s what the social/meal time is for!
    Name tags are great. Labels on the item is great. Write “10x CRS” so the auctioneer doesn’t stand their counting them!
    Shade is valuable – priority goes to the items or to the members? SCAPE owns 1 canopy. Maybe the board should consider buying more? This is another reason why we’ve preferred using indoor venues for the hotter months. We had other members take their personal canopies and tables in the past with a signup sheet BEFORE the meeting. I haven’t seen this happen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by regormang View Post
    That was my first auction and I just felt we could have mixed things better. It felt like we went thru long periods of just plants. Maybe we can try 5 plants then 5 shrimp and 5 tanks etc.. just a nicer mix instead of doing plants all at the beginning.

This can be 100% controlled by the runners. That is the most effective way to do this. Volunteer to be a runner. <Wink wink>

Quote Originally Posted by AquaGreenThumb View Post
    Yes. We’ve done it in the past when raffle meetings were normally 100+. See comments below.

Quote Originally Posted by dealend View Post
    Each item is automatically numbered when its registered.
    If i may suggest, before the auction start please sort all the number in order.
    By doing this all Scape member have an access to Scape.auction website to see which number they are interested to participate.
    As one of the bidder, most of the time i cant hear whats the item is being auctioned, sometimes its a bit too fast.
    I agree with Kole limiting the item is not a good idea for the club and member.
    Not going to happen. The auction numbers are generated when members post the items to the website, not when people arrive. Also, there are often gaps in time to posting items so someone could have a string of numbers that are interrupted (e.g. 13, 14, 15, 28, 29, 36, 45). Expecting the members or a board member to sort through and organize by number as people trickle in is a daunting and unrealistic task. Sorting by number order actually accomplishes nothing… people are going to look through ALL items on the table even if they picked out some favorites from the auction website list first.
    We have also tried sorting multiple tables by auction number. The reason for was to promote people to enter their auction items earlier on the website. There were several benefits driving the desire for this. As mentioned elsewhere, many people will scope out the auction listing on the website prior to the meeting to have an idea of what’s going to be offered. It also generates excitement before the meeting and hopefully boost attendance (e.g. I need a heater… ooooh a heater in the auction – I should go). Items added earlier were auctioned off later in the day – giving more exposure time at the meeting.
    We have also tried sorting the tables by arrival time. Meaning – tables were labeled with either sequence or time (#1 , #2, #3 etc or 1pm, 1:20pm, 1:40pm etc) and the folks getting their earlier will have their choice of when their items get put up for auction. The benefit of this was driving earlier arrival time of members – both putting items for sale and looking to buy. Late arrivals/timeliness is one of the single biggest drivers of meeting end times. This allowed sellers who need to leave early also put their items on the table to be auctioned first. Or… conversely, spread out their items as desired. The only problem with this was people moving items around and tables getting overcrowded – we needed a designated volunteer to “manage” the table area as people came and went.

Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    I'd like to see, as separate from the auction, a member sales table. That would be perfect for cheap, more common items - five bags of pearlweed, java moss, floaters, etc, that a member could set at a cheap price and it could just be sold. Saves auction time, preserves the goal of Scape meets being a place to get good deals and for members to spread their excess stuff around, gives more options to people who can't stick around for 5+ hours. Ideally we could either just set a donation percentage for sales (25%?), which would make it really easy to implement, or add a field to the auction site that says "sale/auction" which determines which table it gets set on, but tracking is otherwise identical.
    We’ve done this with a “Buy It Now” (BIN) option like on Ebay. It worked pretty well. We did this with the silent auction items at previous grand raffle meets. Having a separate table for first come first served BIN at every meet isn’t a bad idea – it just not necessary since we haven’t had the 100+ turnout like in the past. Pricing of the items for said silent auction/BIN items is irrelevant. The dollar amount is less important than the value/savings a member sees in the pricing. (e.g. $3 java moss is not a better deal than a $5 buce)
    As you’ve stated, the SCAPE tax on auction items is necessary to generate revenue for the club. People don’t need to wait to the end of the day to check out. If they got what they want, they’re welcome to check out before the auction, or whatever other program, ends.

The MAIN thing we need is someone to step up and take responsibility for the meeting/auction. I’m hearing good things about and from Kole as a new board member. Things can only get better. I’m always willing to share my opinions and experiences. There are many. However, I’ve learned that it’s not always welcomed and have even been called a bully for trying to implement things with a “loud keyboard.” Is it so bad to have a mechanical gaming keyboard at home? I digress….

The meetings will benefit by starting (meal and activity/auction/presentation) on time and staying focused. That means organizers and board members get there EARLY and members come ON TIME or EARLY. Members need to be respectful to other members by keeping discussions and interruptions to a minimum during the auction. The auctioneer needs to stay focused and move through the items. COAST coasts through their HUGE auction every month because they don’t allow the willy nilly goofing off.
    If people would post their items earlier on the website, the board can better prepare the auction tables to accept the number of items accordingly. EVERYONE plays a part.

New Tank Build Thread!

1x dog

28. Thanks geektom thanked for this post
    Likes swoof liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI. I didn't put this thread in the auction website section since this is more about the meeting logistics than simply the website. However, there are some old threads in there to show some of the above mentioned ideas implemented:
    http://scapeclub.org/forum/forumdisp...uction-website

New Tank Build Thread!

1x dog

30. Likes swoof liked this post