Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    The only way you could have gotten algae is if the jug is exposed to light either through a window, desk lamp, tank light etc. If it is in a pitch black room all the time and magically still grows algae, take the jug in the backyard and burn it, because none of us want that crazy darkness algae.
    Ya, im assuming light was on it somehow, just weird how I just noticed the green spots. Im assuming its no harm to shrimp, but regardless will just buy a new jug. Just wondering if other people get this with their jugs.

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where are you filling up? A water shop or lfs?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you filling up? A water shop or lfs?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    lfs, strictly fish to be exact.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ah gotcha. There was a dude selling a 6 stage r/o for $25, new filter set is another $50 off auction website. I paid $160 for my 3 stage r/o unit...
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend disinfecting jugs with a 1:100 bleach solution. Reusing jugs with RO water will eventually grow something. Also depending on where you are storing it while empty and with lid on, with this crazy heat, its a perfect environment to grow some kind of bacteria. I do this every so often or if a catch a smell of something from inside the jug.

Important note: make sure you have a way to test for residual bleach after rinsing. You definitely don't want to add that to your tank.

Just another way of reusing something that still has life instead of ending up in a landfill.

6. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pot of boiling hot water should kill anything in there. That's how I disinfect stuff, usually.

8. Thanks ahboram thanked for this post
    Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    I would recommend disinfecting jugs with a 1:100 bleach solution. Reusing jugs with RO water will eventually grow something. Also depending on where you are storing it while empty and with lid on, with this crazy heat, its a perfect environment to grow some kind of bacteria. I do this every so often or if a catch a smell of something from inside the jug.

Important note: make sure you have a way to test for residual bleach after rinsing. You definitely don't want to add that to your tank.

Just another way of reusing something that still has life instead of ending up in a landfill.
    Ya i think it is the combination of the heat and just reusing it for well over 3-4 years might have grown something. However, I stray away from using bleach just because of the off chance it might nuke my tanks. Using this jug for 4 tanks and buying a new jug for 10-12 dollars is justified for the time, money, emotion invested in my shrimps. That's why I never reuse my purigen, just not worth the risk for me. xD However, probably going to reuse it as a DIY plant pot and grow some dwarf sag outside or floaters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
    A pot of boiling hot water should kill anything in there. That's how I disinfect stuff, usually.
    Ya, I washed it off with hot water and put some vinegar in there for now, in case it might be mold, but pretty sure it's algae... Going to reuse it as a DIY plant pot and grow some dwarf sag outside or floaters.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr Suedehead92's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ernie Ramos
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use it for water changes. I use one that is rather old as well only to gage the amount of gallons removed in order to re add and remineralize

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

12. Likes aquamaniac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was filling 4 jugs a week and lugging them back and forth from Carson Tropical. I decided to just buy an R/O unit, 100ft hardline, hose/faucet adapter, float valve, and brute trash can and put it on a furniture dolly.

To dispense the water I use a pond pump, I then purchased a ball valve, 12ft 1/2 hose and 2 1/2 barbed fittings to whatever the threading was.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was filling 4 jugs a week and lugging them back and forth from Carson Tropical. I decided to just buy an R/O unit, 100ft hardline, hose/faucet adapter, float valve, and brute trash can and put it on a furniture dolly.

To dispense the water I use a pond pump, I then purchased a ball valve, 12ft 1/2 hose and 2 1/2 barbed fittings to whatever the threading was.
    That's exactly the direction that I'm headed in! I'm going to use two membranes to reduce wasted water. I've had a unit underneath my kitchen sink and never realized how inefficient these little units are. Goin to have to run the reject to my plants outside and make use of wasted water instead of it going straight to drain.

Getting back to thread discussion and I'm sure you are aware, these ROs also require occasional disinfection. Manufacturer for my unit inside the sink recommends using 1% bleach solution,. As stated before, so long as you have an effective way of testing for residual I don't see a big deal in using diluted bleach solution. Just another thing to consider.