Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

African ciclid forums based in so cal

Are there any any groups similar to SCAPE in So Cal that emphasize African cichlids?

Pew Pew Lazor 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click this----> www.google.com enter keywords African + Cichlid + Southern + California. Results will show.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

3. Likes JohnC liked this post
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave7739 View Post
    Are there any any groups similar to SCAPE in So Cal that emphasize African cichlids?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    Click this----> www.google.com enter keywords African + Cichlid + Southern + California. Results will show.
    http://bfy.tw/J7Fp

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr dave7739's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks for that, I wasn't asking how to find local groups, my question should have been "Do any of my fellow club members know of any local clubs similar to SCAPE that deal with African Cichlids, so I don't have to wade through pages of ads and outdated posts?" I'll try and be more clear next time. However, a simple yeah I do, or a nope or a no post would have probably been a better response. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how it would be wading through pages and pages, the first 2 results show 2 forums based in socal both specializing in african cichlids. I appreciate the condescending post though, we'd get along great! What kind of beer do you drink?
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't take it personally, Dave- some of the members here want everyone to defer to Google on everything, all the time- which would pretty much eliminate the need for a group like SCAPE, in my opinion.

If we are not here to ask questions and be helpful to each other, what's the point?

I am not familiar with any local clubs, but https://www.cichlid-forum.com is a great resource- and there may be some local activity on there. Good luck!

What kind of cichlids are you keeping?
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

8. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have cichlids right now so I have not searched for clubs. I posted that link because if you do the "Click Here" it takes you straight to the google search results. Thats how I found SCAPE, so if there is one for Cichlids you can find it there.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry Tom, but I disagree, Scape's value lies in it's locality. Like you said the answers are already out there if you look and while we do spoon feed members, it's not why the forum is here. Google doesn't host local meets if it did Scape would be dead and buried instead of spreading it's wings with some new Board members who will liven up the club and create more awesome local events.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry Tom, but I disagree, Scape's value lies in it's locality. Like you said the answers are already out there if you look and while we do spoon feed members, it's not why the forum is here. Google doesn't host local meets if it did Scape would be dead and buried instead of spreading it's wings with some new Board members who will liven up the club and create more awesome local events.
    And I have nothing but respect for you, Carlo- but I disagree that being rude to new members who are trying to initiate conversations helps the club grow. It took you the same amount of time to post a snarky reply as it would have to just answer his question- or you could have simply said nothing.

If SCAPE was only about events, we could just have a bulletin board and not the forums, right?

Not looking to argue- you are still the man- but I think we could be better, thatís all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel the same sir, but how was I being rude? My solution was sound. A quick google search brought up not one but two ideal results. Exactly what he was looking for. I tried to post lmgtfy, but could not from my work PC.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I knew nothing about skiing which I do not, but you absolutely loved skiing and wanted to have a conversation with someone about skiing would you prefer someone who knows nothing about the subject or someone who was interested, read some stuff and has more questions?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks Tom. I'm going to go with either the peacock species or smaller Tanganykans, Shellies, letup(sp) or regain. Ive done a lot of research on the fish (I googled them) but can't decide whether to revive the 75gal I have in the garage or start with a smaller tank. If I go with the peacocks I will defiantly stay with the 75. I've been out of the hobby for a while, but got the urge to start up again.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roger
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.instagram.com/nolansaquariumco/

Hey Dave
    try this guy out it's a new shop in Santa Ana and has tons of them. Gl

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Excuse me while I return to my forest

16. Thanks Bongox3 thanked for this post
    Likes Bongox3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah thanks Tom. I'm going to go with either the peacock species or smaller Tanganykans, Shellies, letup(sp) or regain. Ive done a lot of research on the fish (I googled them) but can't decide whether to revive the 75gal I have in the garage or start with a smaller tank. If I go with the peacocks I will defiantly stay with the 75. I've been out of the hobby for a while, but got the urge to start up again.
    Dave
    I've had cichlids in the past, they are very cool fish. Some of the coolest tanks are the ones filled with peacocks. A 75g peacock cichlid tank would be awesome. If you want something cool for your aquascape, look up on google or youtube how to make cichlid caves out of feather rock. You have to anchor the feather rock since it floats, but its super easy to carve and you can make some cool cave systems for your fish. Cichlids love caves.
    I would recommend double the recommended filtration for the 75g and overstocking the tank, this will help to lessen some of the aggression between the fish.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw...Ontario Building Materials has Grey Feather Rock and Black Feather Rock for 50 cents a pound, their red lava and black lava (some really nice pieces) for 29 cents a pound. Its a good resource for larger aquascapes, especially ones using lots of rock.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Dave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up Kole, my sister lives out that way and I may have to stop by OBM to check it out. The big "if" in the whole equation is the wife, she thinks the 75g is too big for the living room. So I may be relegated to a 40 or smaller, which will seriously limit my options. BUT the would put me back in the planted tank realm realm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up Kole, my sister lives out that way and I may have to stop by OBM to check it out. The big "if" in the whole equation is the wife, she thinks the 75g is too big for the living room. So I may be relegated to a 40 or smaller, which will seriously limit my options. BUT the would put me back in the planted tank realm realm.
    A 75g isn't too big, especially if done right. I always tell everyone to take the wife to ikea and start saying things like "wouldn't that coffee table look nice next to the tank?" Or "hey, theres that piece of furniture you wanted, I think it would look nice to help pull the room with the tank together. You should get it." Subliminal messages, lol, but it's give and take.

More Tanks!

21. Likes aquamaniac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    BUCK
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't John7429 has a 75G African tank in his living room? He used to be a big cichlid guy.
    THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    John
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doesn't John7429 has a 75G African tank in his living room? He used to be a big cichlid guy.
    Yeah, right next to frag tank in the middle of the room and the monster tank on the opposite wall and a few fluval setups near the cichlid tank. I think we should all ask do I have enough room for a living room in my fish room? hmmm. haha.
    Last edited by Electric; 07-20-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does! Got the fish from me, actually- and in typical John fashion, made them even more beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Likes Zenzu liked this post