Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preparing for Shrimpers

Hey y'all, I have finally set up my tank. After a lot of hard work, I'm proud to finally be close to done lmao. Gotta wait for the tank to cycle and so on but I need some help here!

What kind of shrimp should I get?! My pH will be roughly between 6.5-6.8, for my tetra Cardinals and SAEs. Different types of shrimp would be great but they should be within each other's gH kH range right?

Shares pics of your awesome shrimp please.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Gredival's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you are using an active substrate. I'm not sure how seiryu and an active substrate will balance out in the end, but generally soil substrates are meant to help buffer your water under 7 to handle caridina. Are you going to be using RO?

Neocaridina usually prefer harder water but you *can* adapt neocaridinas to the same water as caridinas (it does not work the other way around though).

3. Likes ohmiko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ it definitely depends on your source, if you're not using RO with the substrate and keeping those stones, caridina is out of the questions(except tigers) I would just stick to neos. If you dont care about breeding for color or grade, having a skittle tank is nice. Youll definitely result in some brown shrimp but a shrimp is a shrimp! Otherwise, If you want caridina which hybridize instead of reverting to wilds, you'll want RO, a shrimp remineralizer, and remove those Seiryu stones.

SCAPE Member Just Planted AlanR's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Looks like you are using an active substrate. I'm not sure how seiryu and an active substrate will balance out in the end, but generally soil substrates are meant to help buffer your water under 7 to handle caridina. Are you going to be using RO?

Neocaridina usually prefer harder water but you *can* adapt neocaridinas to the same water as caridinas (it does not work the other way around though).
    I am using RO water, my tap is high in nitrate...

I'm supplementing the water to control GH and KH. Right now the pH is at 6.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmiko View Post
    ^ it definitely depends on your source, if you're not using RO with the substrate and keeping those stones, caridina is out of the questions(except tigers) I would just stick to neos. If you dont care about breeding for color or grade, having a skittle tank is nice. Youll definitely result in some brown shrimp but a shrimp is a shrimp! Otherwise, If you want caridina which hybridize instead of reverting to wilds, you'll want RO, a shrimp remineralizer, and remove those Seiryu stones.
    Will I still be able to keep shrimp if I'm using RO, an active substrate, and stones?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
    Will I still be able to keep shrimp if I'm using RO, an active substrate, and stones?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
    I am using RO water, my tap is high in nitrate...

I'm supplementing the water to control GH and KH. Right now the pH is at 6.8

So the thing about seiryu is that it affects water chemistry because those white veins are calcite. The point of RO/remineralizer is that it basically makes it so that you can manually manipulate the water to perfect parameters. Having seiryu means it will always be leeching changing parameters, which in turn means water changes will be bigger spikes in parameters every time.

If you want caridinas then I would get rid of the seiryu. They are too sensitive to deal with constant chemistry changes. An alternative to seiryu is Ohko/Dragon which doesn't affect water chemistry.

Neos are more likely to be able to deal with the seiryu since they are naturally better in harder water, but the goal should always be to minimize fluctuation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    So the thing about seiryu is that it affects water chemistry because those white veins are calcite. The point of RO/remineralizer is that it basically makes it so that you can manually manipulate the water to perfect parameters. Having seiryu means it will always be leeching changing parameters, which in turn means water changes will be bigger spikes in parameters every time.

If you want caridinas then I would get rid of the seiryu. They are too sensitive to deal with constant chemistry changes. An alternative to seiryu is Ohko/Dragon which doesn't affect water chemistry.

Neos are more likely to be able to deal with the seiryu since they are naturally better in harder water, but the goal should always be to minimize fluctuation.
    Would the fluctuations in water be so great that it would affect a 75 gallon? I have less then 10 pounds of seiyru stone. What if I moniter the changes to GH over a course of two weeks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    itll affect your water sooner or later. I would only get neos if you're keeping the rocks. Make sure to add a shrimp remineralizer to your water or you'll be dealing with some failed molts

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Alan
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmiko View Post
    itll affect your water sooner or later. I would only get neos if you're keeping the rocks. Make sure to add a shrimp remineralizer to your water or you'll be dealing with some failed molts
    I'm using these two guys to remineralize my water. Would you recommend anything else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Chris
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need both.

Salty GH/KH is already balanced for the correct proportion for neos. If you add GH on top of that the balance would be skewed.

GH only salt is for caridina which don't want KH in their water.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

12. Likes ohmiko liked this post