Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mushrooms?

I think I saw someone talking about mushrooms in a paludarium. I wonder if anyone has seen Reishi Mushroom growing plugs anywhere? I can always buy some mushrooms and harvest but if I can get 5 or 6 plugs somewhere it would be good. I want to try them on the top of my floating cork 'log'

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a culture. Blackdiamondshrimp went to a mushroom convention, yeah they have those... I know they sell mushroom grow bags all over the internet with various types of shrooms that are ready to grow and harvest in 60-120 days..

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I saw them. I figured if there was some sort of supply shop I could just buy some on my way home today - plus most of the plugs and stuff are about 50 to 100 in a bag and I just wanted to try a handful to see if they survive. They might just rot if it is way to wet. I did see reference to the only know aquatic mushroom in Oregon, but not available. I'll buy some dry mushrooms on the way home and shake out the spores to see. what I can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be a good idea to do some research on how to grow mushrooms. I'm not sure what plug means, but I feel you are under the impression someone can provide you with some type of growth trimming and you can just provide it light and you will grow mushrooms. Mushrooms need a sterile environment, specilized growing medium (usually a wood material), specific humidity levels and a certain dark/light cycle as well as specific temp ranges. The cheapest I found online is $25 for a culture and instructions.

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. Now that bounce and discosoma mushrooms are becoming all the rage again in reef culture, it only would be natural that mushrooms would also come to freshwater.

Part of me peeked in on this thinking there might be an actual underrated sporous mushroom.

6. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A plug is just a sort of saw dust and other material mixed with spores that looks like a little wooden cork you can push into your growing media. It's a starting material and ready to go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

8. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I spoke to an online mushroom dude about what might be a nontoxic mushroom that could handle my usage and he suggested the reishi.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10. Likes Zenzu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see. I assume you'll start em in a box in the closet then move em under low light then transition to your tank. Sounds like an interesting project. This may open up a whole new rabbit hole for us planted tank extremists. @BlackDiamondShrimp how did your stuff work out? Care to share your experiences?

12. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we'll see if they work or not. I'll actually start them right on the log. It is moist enough and it floats behind the lights but as I look at the size those reishi grow to I am thinking there isn't enough clearance between the top of the log and the canopy. Still I can always try it and if they grow more than an inch I can pop them off. Really need a micro mushroom - but one that is non-toxic. Mushroom guy says they reishi live for a bit where a lot of those tiny mushrooms are only around for a day or so.