User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Regulator stopped working

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Regulator stopped working

    Hey all- looks like my regulator stopped working- or more specifically, I think the solenoid did.

    I have plenty of gas left in the tank, timer it was plugged into works, also tried it directly into the outlet without the timer, outlet works... any ideas how to fix this, or do I need a whole new one?

    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  2. #2
    SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Hey all- looks like my regulator stopped working- or more specifically, I think the solenoid did.

    I have plenty of gas left in the tank, timer it was plugged into works, also tried it directly into the outlet without the timer, outlet works... any ideas how to fix this, or do I need a whole new one?

    I know when I worked on electrified panic bars (the push bar on a door, usually hospitals) the magnetic solenoid would sometimes get stuck after years of use. It is possible your did this. Is there anyway to get into the solenoid?

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  3. #3
    SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Hey all- looks like my regulator stopped working- or more specifically, I think the solenoid did.

    I have plenty of gas left in the tank, timer it was plugged into works, also tried it directly into the outlet without the timer, outlet works... any ideas how to fix this, or do I need a whole new one?

    I'm pretty sure the solenoids on these regulators are "Fail Secure" meaning that if the solenoid shorts out it closes the regulator so the gas doesnt just shoot out conitnuously. Could be possibly be a short.

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  4. #4
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the solenoids on these regulators are "Fail Secure" meaning that if the solenoid shorts out it closes the regulator so the gas doesnt just shoot out conitnuously. Could be possibly be a short.

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    Is that fixable? Or is it fried? It wasnít an expensive one- I just donít want to be without CO2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  5. #5
    SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Is that fixable? Or is it fried? It wasnít an expensive one- I just donít want to be without CO2


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you could probably get a replacement solenoid that would work on that regulator. The manufacturer might even sell replacement parts for it. Try Amazon or you can call up a Matheson or a home brewery supply store and ask. You can also try AirGas but my experience with them is that they don't know much about co2 beyond the cylinder exchange, they looked at me like I was speaking Japanese when I asked if the had 3 way manifold splitters for co2 regulators.

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  6. #6
    SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand is the regulator?

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  7. #7
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    What brand is the regulator?

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    Not even sure- it was an amazon purchase. I will have to look it up in my history.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  8. #8
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was this one- price driven choice, obviously:

    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  9. #9
    SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking online it looks like a replacement solenoid is about $20, just gotta get the one that will work for you. You might be able to find a decent one for cheap from another member here if you dont feel like replacing the solenoid. I think the last time I was at Carlo's he was saying he had like 3-4 regulators just laying around in his garage, lol.

    Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  10. #10
    SCAPE Member Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure is pretty. How long did you have it?

    Sometimes, you can take a high powered magnet and move it up and down enough that it will free itself.

  11. #11
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    It sure is pretty. How long did you have it?

    Sometimes, you can take a high powered magnet and move it up and down enough that it will free itself.
    Interesting!

    I have had it less than a year- probably what I should have expected for a $50 regulator. I have to say, I have been super happy with it up to this point.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  12. #12
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Interesting!

    I have had it less than a year- probably what I should have expected for a $50 regulator. I have to say, I have been super happy with it up to this point.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ha! Nick, that totally worked! At least to get it open again...
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  13. Thanks Nick Shades thanked for this post
    Likes Nick Shades liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •