User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: Ebony or Red Oak?

  1. #21
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great, what brand did you use for the finish?

  2. #22
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr shrimp's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job...very nice

  3. #23
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Placentia
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ebony or Red Oak?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Looks great, what brand did you use for the finish?
    Minwax for stain

    With 3 clear finishing coats of Minwax Polycrylic




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Placentia
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shrimp View Post
    Great job...very nice
    Thank you!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #25
    SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Redlands
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    Minwax for stain
    With 3 clear finishing coats of Minwax Polycrylic



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool, Its my go to as well since its so cheap and available everywhere. I usually go with the Jacobean when I am doing something dark though. I'll post mine in a week or two when its finished.

  6. #26
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,056
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The polycrylic is good stuff, but the sparathane is even better for potentially wet applications.

  7. #27
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can never go wrong with MinWax. After doing woodworking for a few years, their whole line is very good.

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  8. #28
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Placentia
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great suggestions guys regarding staining and finishing products. Iíll definitely consider the products like Jacobean and Sparathane on my next project. I used what I had available and wanted to avoid buying yet more ďstuffĒ. Garage is jam packed with excess ďstuffĒ.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Placentia
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished filling her up! Iím quite happy with the outcome.

    Apologies in advance but Iím just too lazy to study and learn the names of all the plants. As you can see itís mostly common plants with some demanding carpet plants. Iíll get better and list everything later on.

    There is still more to be done but the bulk of the work is complete.

    I started with the dry start method. Grew some glosso from seeds and attached Christmas moss to various parts of the wood and rock with the yoghurt method. Itís there but still needs to grow out. I have various anubias that I will be adding and some bolbitis.

    I went against my own experience on sloping and adding dual substrate. I just had to do it! Worst case Iíll remove the sand and add more soil if it gets all blended together.

    Take a look and let the comments flow.






    More pics displaying the equipment will follow. I have an FX5 filter, and 20lb co2 with diffuser. Iím going to make my own in-line diffuser for the fx5 outflow hose and Iím adding a separate filter for inline heater. I just really hate to see all the miscellaneous components that distract from the set up.

    The view from my recliner. Ahhhh bliss!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. Likes Bongox3, privinvlu liked this post
  11. #30
    Moderator 2000 posts, Star SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    2,056
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a very beautiful tank, Victor.

    I am amazed at the number of individuals who put their tanks in front of windows.

    I have never had a problem with it, though i know many individuals who do. The complaint which I often receive is that they are prone to variable algae issues with lack of control. Most guys i know who do it just compensate with additional algae eaters in any way that can be had and it fixes any possibility of issue.


    My main concern has always been in accessibility to the maintenance of the window itself. (cleaning it, operating it, lubricating its channels, etc).

  12. #31
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Placentia
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    It is a very beautiful tank, Victor.

    I am amazed at the number of individuals who put their tanks in front of windows.

    I have never had a problem with it, though i know many individuals who do. The complaint which I often receive is that they are prone to variable algae issues with lack of control. Most guys i know who do it just compensate with additional algae eaters in any way that can be had and it fixes any possibility of issue.


    My main concern has always been in accessibility to the maintenance of the window itself. (cleaning it, operating it, lubricating its channels, etc).
    Thanks Nick!
    I actually left enough space to where I can actually squeeze in and work in between the tank and the windows. The CO2 tank was a bit tall and didn't quite fit inside the stand but I was able to perfectly set it behind the stand due to the space.

    I'm not too concerned with algae. With the frosted rear I'm sure will aid with algae outbreaks. If it becomes an issue I can always close the blinds which will block out any outside light. And yes, a good few algae cleaners will be in there as well. Also, as long as I maintain my maintenance I should have no issues. Thanks for the head up.

  13. #32
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr DavoAkop's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Tujunga, California
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    Thanks Nick!
    I actually left enough space to where I can actually squeeze in and work in between the tank and the windows. The CO2 tank was a bit tall and didn't quite fit inside the stand but I was able to perfectly set it behind the stand due to the space.

    I'm not too concerned with algae. With the frosted rear I'm sure will aid with algae outbreaks. If it becomes an issue I can always close the blinds which will block out any outside light. And yes, a good few algae cleaners will be in there as well. Also, as long as I maintain my maintenance I should have no issues. Thanks for the head up.
    A good algae cleaner would be clams most likely a algae bloom check a video on LR Bretz aquatics who cleaned most the algae bloom the good think is they like sand and will be barely noticeable depending on color otocinclus are great for everything just make sure to check if they have a full belly


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #33
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Placentia
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavoAkop View Post
    A good algae cleaner would be clams most likely a algae bloom check a video on LR Bretz aquatics who cleaned most the algae bloom the good think is they like sand and will be barely noticeable depending on color otocinclus are great for everything just make sure to check if they have a full belly


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I never considered clams in a freshwater tank. Iíll definitely look up the video.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #34
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    Thanks! I never considered clams in a freshwater tank. Iíll definitely look up the video.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have heard some bad things about freshwater clams. I thought about getting one when I first started planted tanks since they are good filter feeders, I don't believe they eat surface algae though. The bad things I have heard are because they dig. Can't have them in a dirted tank which half of mine are right now. A lot of people have stories of their clam dieing while under the substrate and not realizing it and it killing their entire tank. The gold clams look pretty cool though.

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  16. #35
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Placentia
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I have heard some bad things about freshwater clams. I thought about getting one when I first started planted tanks since they are good filter feeders, I don't believe they eat surface algae though. The bad things I have heard are because they dig. Can't have them in a dirted tank which half of mine are right now. A lot of people have stories of their clam dieing while under the substrate and not realizing it and it killing their entire tank. The gold clams look pretty cool though.

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Good to know. Itís bad enough when a fish or two die somewhere in the tank causing more ills. Probably not the best idea. I think Iíll just add some cool snails like the nerite racer snails.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #36
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr DavoAkop's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Tujunga, California
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    Good to know. Itís bad enough when a fish or two die somewhere in the tank causing more ills. Probably not the best idea. I think Iíll just add some cool snails like the nerite racer snails.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Add Malaysian trumpet snails they go under gravel so air rate the sand which needs to be done or else air bubbles which expand then pop under sand


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #37
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr aquamaniac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Placentia
    Posts
    219
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a little while since I last posted an update on my biggest set up...

    I have 4 360 sun kessils but on this pic they are not on. I have my after hours light on this pic. Cheap led strip light.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. Likes stormvisions, jayo, amzreefs liked this post
  20. #38
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr regormang's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    roger
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good buddy keep it up

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Excuse me while I return to my forest

  21. Thanks aquamaniac thanked for this post
  22. #39
    SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2017
    Location
    91762
    Posts
    1,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man oh man! I need to get a big tank in my life!

    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

  23. Likes aquamaniac liked this post
  24. #40
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks fantastic! Thanks for keeping us updated!
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  25. Thanks aquamaniac thanked for this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •