SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great, what brand did you use for the finish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job...very nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ebony or Red Oak?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Looks great, what brand did you use for the finish?
    Minwax for stain

With 3 clear finishing coats of Minwax Polycrylic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shrimp View Post
    Great job...very nice
    Thank you!

SCAPE Member Just Planted JohnC's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    john
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamaniac View Post
    Minwax for stain
    With 3 clear finishing coats of Minwax Polycrylic

Cool, Its my go to as well since its so cheap and available everywhere. I usually go with the Jacobean when I am doing something dark though. I'll post mine in a week or two when its finished.

Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The polycrylic is good stuff, but the sparathane is even better for potentially wet applications.

SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can never go wrong with MinWax. After doing woodworking for a few years, their whole line is very good.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great suggestions guys regarding staining and finishing products. Iíll definitely consider the products like Jacobean and Sparathane on my next project. I used what I had available and wanted to avoid buying yet more ďstuffĒ. Garage is jam packed with excess ďstuffĒ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished filling her up! Iím quite happy with the outcome.

Apologies in advance but Iím just too lazy to study and learn the names of all the plants. As you can see itís mostly common plants with some demanding carpet plants. Iíll get better and list everything later on.

There is still more to be done but the bulk of the work is complete.

I started with the dry start method. Grew some glosso from seeds and attached Christmas moss to various parts of the wood and rock with the yoghurt method. Itís there but still needs to grow out. I have various anubias that I will be adding and some bolbitis.

I went against my own experience on sloping and adding dual substrate. I just had to do it! Worst case Iíll remove the sand and add more soil if it gets all blended together.

Take a look and let the comments flow.

More pics displaying the equipment will follow. I have an FX5 filter, and 20lb co2 with diffuser. Iím going to make my own in-line diffuser for the fx5 outflow hose and Iím adding a separate filter for inline heater. I just really hate to see all the miscellaneous components that distract from the set up.

The view from my recliner. Ahhhh bliss!

10. Likes Bongox3, privinvlu liked this post
    Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a very beautiful tank, Victor.

I am amazed at the number of individuals who put their tanks in front of windows.

I have never had a problem with it, though i know many individuals who do. The complaint which I often receive is that they are prone to variable algae issues with lack of control. Most guys i know who do it just compensate with additional algae eaters in any way that can be had and it fixes any possibility of issue.

My main concern has always been in accessibility to the maintenance of the window itself. (cleaning it, operating it, lubricating its channels, etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Shades View Post
    It is a very beautiful tank, Victor.

I am amazed at the number of individuals who put their tanks in front of windows.

I have never had a problem with it, though i know many individuals who do. The complaint which I often receive is that they are prone to variable algae issues with lack of control. Most guys i know who do it just compensate with additional algae eaters in any way that can be had and it fixes any possibility of issue.

My main concern has always been in accessibility to the maintenance of the window itself. (cleaning it, operating it, lubricating its channels, etc).
    Thanks Nick!
    I actually left enough space to where I can actually squeeze in and work in between the tank and the windows. The CO2 tank was a bit tall and didn't quite fit inside the stand but I was able to perfectly set it behind the stand due to the space.

I'm not too concerned with algae. With the frosted rear I'm sure will aid with algae outbreaks. If it becomes an issue I can always close the blinds which will block out any outside light. And yes, a good few algae cleaners will be in there as well. Also, as long as I maintain my maintenance I should have no issues. Thanks for the head up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nick!
    I actually left enough space to where I can actually squeeze in and work in between the tank and the windows. The CO2 tank was a bit tall and didn't quite fit inside the stand but I was able to perfectly set it behind the stand due to the space.

I'm not too concerned with algae. With the frosted rear I'm sure will aid with algae outbreaks. If it becomes an issue I can always close the blinds which will block out any outside light. And yes, a good few algae cleaners will be in there as well. Also, as long as I maintain my maintenance I should have no issues. Thanks for the head up.
    A good algae cleaner would be clams most likely a algae bloom check a video on LR Bretz aquatics who cleaned most the algae bloom the good think is they like sand and will be barely noticeable depending on color otocinclus are great for everything just make sure to check if they have a full belly

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavoAkop View Post
    A good algae cleaner would be clams most likely a algae bloom check a video on LR Bretz aquatics who cleaned most the algae bloom the good think is they like sand and will be barely noticeable depending on color otocinclus are great for everything just make sure to check if they have a full belly

Thanks! I never considered clams in a freshwater tank. Iíll definitely look up the video.

SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I never considered clams in a freshwater tank. Iíll definitely look up the video.

I have heard some bad things about freshwater clams. I thought about getting one when I first started planted tanks since they are good filter feeders, I don't believe they eat surface algae though. The bad things I have heard are because they dig. Can't have them in a dirted tank which half of mine are right now. A lot of people have stories of their clam dieing while under the substrate and not realizing it and it killing their entire tank. The gold clams look pretty cool though.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    I have heard some bad things about freshwater clams. I thought about getting one when I first started planted tanks since they are good filter feeders, I don't believe they eat surface algae though. The bad things I have heard are because they dig. Can't have them in a dirted tank which half of mine are right now. A lot of people have stories of their clam dieing while under the substrate and not realizing it and it killing their entire tank. The gold clams look pretty cool though.

Good to know. Itís bad enough when a fish or two die somewhere in the tank causing more ills. Probably not the best idea. I think Iíll just add some cool snails like the nerite racer snails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know. Itís bad enough when a fish or two die somewhere in the tank causing more ills. Probably not the best idea. I think Iíll just add some cool snails like the nerite racer snails.

Add Malaysian trumpet snails they go under gravel so air rate the sand which needs to be done or else air bubbles which expand then pop under sand