Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On top / trickle type filtration

Does anyone have any experience with these 'box on top' trickle/drip type filters? Recommendations? I've seen a few boxes that are in the $30 range; I already have a powerhead and would like to switch out the internal filters I have.

percolador.jpg
    c.jpg

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the type of filtration that Eclipse and later Jebao used on their tanks. It works okay, but splashes a bit. You'll have to clean your lights a bit more than usual. I think these are a great way to add surface aggitation. I always liked that these are easy to source raw foam and just cut to size. If this is what you want, go for it. Maybe youll start a new trend.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr sc91006's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Sidney
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This method of filtration isn't new. I heard Asia was using this type over 20 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct. I had used this type of filter in the 90's. Marineland had brought it over from Asia. It's very unpopular in the US planted market. If Burt sets up a planted tank with it. This just might be the first on Scape on more than 10 years. I can't remember anyone in recent years setting up an ecplise or jebao and not immediately swapping the hood for a hob/canister and t5/led.

5. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking at it mainly out of need. I have about 3-4" behind my tank and the wall and wanted to put a shadow box. Right now I am using some old filters I had which sit inside the tank - a penn plax cascade and a powerhead I attached a foam filter 'column'. Ugly as sin. I can't hang stuff on the back, can't put anything underneath (on a wooden file drawer which is in use - I reinforced the top for the tank). So the existing filters -aside from being a pain, take up space and block about 1/5 of the back view. I thought this might be a viable option. I was familiar with the 'under' trickle filters of course as they've been around for a while, but don't remember seeing the on-top models.

I guess the concept is simple enough that I could make one, and put it on-top of the shadow box area, just running the hose into the tank which would keep my canopy free for my lights.

Maybe something like this

image7,jpg.jpg
    Last edited by stormvisions; 06-13-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possible solution. hob or in/out canister on the side? Like put a hob on the rear right and a power head on the front left so you get flow back to the hob.I dig the idea of a top filter over your lights, but what happens if the unit leaks or overflows? Now you just shorted out your shadow box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the hob unit would be against the back so couldn't put the shadow box there -and you would see the unit. Hmmm... unless I build some physical structure on the inside to block the viewer from seeing the filter - that is a possibility. Thanks for the idea. That actually might be cheaper and easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have you put a hob on the back. it can be placed on the side or the front, it just needs a rim to hang onto. That's what I'm saying. I don't think you've considered hanging a hob on the side and not the back.

I have a tank with about a finger of room before it hits the wall, I mounted my HOB on the left side of the tank. So the filter blows left to right instead of back to front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got you but won't work for my setup. Left side faces living room and hob would hang over my wife's decorative stuff on a table, right side would put the hob behind my head when I sit at the computer desk - with the moisture I might grow a good head of moss and start looking like the not-so-jolly green giant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Well... uh... I got nothin...

12. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. That's the leaky boat I'm in. That's why I was thinking about the on-top model but on the back corner as you said might still work. I'll find a narrow profile hob, hide the intake and return flow behind a decorative element - maybe like an epoxy 'rock' stack and the rest of the back would still show the shadow box..