User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Topping off your tank

  1. #1
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Inglewood
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Topping off your tank

    How often do you fill your tank when water starts to evaporate?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr ahboram's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2016
    Location
    cerritos
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    abe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With this temp I have to top off every night :/ I have fans running in all my shrimp tanks so that probably accelerates the evaporation too

  3. #3
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Papa Smurf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tarzana
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Phillip
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might top off every 3-4 days unless I'm doing a water change that week. Then I'll just lower my spray bar to the water line and wait.

    Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built an ATO for about $30, total. They're prettier when using a sump, but you can make a usable version identical to my tutorial i posted last month.

  5. #5
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Inglewood
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahboram View Post
    With this temp I have to top off every night :/ I have fans running in all my shrimp tanks so that probably accelerates the evaporation too
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
    I might top off every 3-4 days unless I'm doing a water change that week. Then I'll just lower my spray bar to the water line and wait.

    Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
    I thought I was the only one who has to top it off every night haha, itís very hot where I live right now (Inglewood) especially during the summer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    SCAPE Member Just Planted dnguyen_08's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Canoga Park, CA
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jeff Nguyen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im topping off almost 1 gallon a day.

  7. #7
    Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cerritos
    Posts
    5,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is asap. As water evaporates the concentration of dissolved solids increases by volume. This can affect all parameters. So it's always best to top off as often as possible.

  8. #8
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr kberg2498's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Winnetka
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't top off my tanks regularly. I just do my weeklyish waterchanges and fill the tank back to the rim. Only time I go out of my way to top off a tank is if I left the lid off the tank and it has a hang on back filter or canister that requires the line to be at a certain point. Like the stupid tidal hang on filters or my sunsun canister that has a surface skinned that brings in air lol.

    Yeah the tds does increase when you water evaporates but LA water is very low in tds(120 tds here.) and even a 10% evaporation wouldn't be enough to significantly change your water parameters. If your tank is evaporating alot I would look into adding rodi or distilled from time to time to bring the tds down. This is if you are just constantly evaporating a ton of water and only refilling the tank. I do fairly large waterchanges so this is more of a risk for those running shrimp tanks with fans.

    If you are running a saltwater tank you should always top off asap because it will change your salinity.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,298
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on how often I have to top off my 20 and my 29, I am little scared about what keeping up with the 135 will look like.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

  10. #10
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr jayo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    J.A.Yo... are my initials!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    Yeah the tds does increase when you water evaporates but LA water is very low in tds(120 tds here.)
    Wow, I didn't think there was tap water that soft anywhere in southern california. My tap water (straight out of the cold tap) usually runs between 205-230. I live in Venice.

    I top off every day or two because I my filter (aquaclear 50) gives me the best surface agitation when the tank is really full. I've let it go as long as a week between topoffs.

    When I do a water change, I make up an extra quart to half gallon of new water and leave it in the bottom of the water change bucket. I use this water to top off throughout the week. That way I don't have to worry about chlorine/chloramine in the topoff.

    If you're doing enough water changes, I don't think rising TDS from tapwater topoff is worth worrying about.

  11. #11
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr kberg2498's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Winnetka
    Posts
    181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think a majority of us are on that soft water with high ph due to chemicals. At least I know the valley is. My tap is 120tds gh and kh of 4. Ph of 7.8.

    Uncle Sam's discus is 2 blocks from my house and they use the tap water for all their imported discus too. Except for the ph and chloramines, our water is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    Wow, I didn't think there was tap water that soft anywhere in southern california. My tap water (straight out of the cold tap) usually runs between 205-230. I live in Venice.

    I top off every day or two because I my filter (aquaclear 50) gives me the best surface agitation when the tank is really full. I've let it go as long as a week between topoffs.

    When I do a water change, I make up an extra quart to half gallon of new water and leave it in the bottom of the water change bucket. I use this water to top off throughout the week. That way I don't have to worry about chlorine/chloramine in the topoff.

    If you're doing enough water changes, I don't think rising TDS from tapwater topoff is worth worrying about.
    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    SCAPE Member Jr. SCAPEr Papa Smurf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tarzana
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Phillip
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kberg2498 View Post
    Yeah I think a majority of us are on that soft water with high ph due to chemicals. At least I know the valley is. My tap is 120tds gh and kh of 4. Ph of 7.8.

    Uncle Sam's discus is 2 blocks from my house and they use the tap water for all their imported discus too. Except for the ph and chloramines, our water is great.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yep, I'm in Tarzana and have the same parameters you have.

    Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Moderator Pro SCAPEr Nick Shades's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    1,882
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Nick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My water in eastern IE is very high pH, very Alkaline, decent hardness, but genrrally, tds around 127.

    I thought ours was unique. It is largely untreated spring water and only has chloramine added to it.

    Oc on the other hand.....

  14. #14
    SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Upland
    Posts
    5,227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked the ammonia levels?

  15. #15
    Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cerritos
    Posts
    5,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had your guys' water. OC tap water is horrible.

  16. Likes swoof liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •