Real Name
    Jack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green Algae on Christmas Moss

Hi All,

Loving my first 15 gallon tank. It's been 10 days and I'm beginning to see green algae flowing on my christmas moss. I think that I'm leaving my light on for too long. About 12 hours a day. Just got a timer so I'm changing it to 9 hours from 11AM to 8PM. Will this help reduce the algae issue? How long should I have my light on?

Green Algae.jpg

Thank you,

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dungBUG View Post
    Hi All,

Loving my first 15 gallon tank. It's been 10 days and I'm beginning to see green algae flowing on my christmas moss. I think that I'm leaving my light on for too long. About 12 hours a day. Just got a timer so I'm changing it to 9 hours from 11AM to 8PM. Will this help reduce the algae issue? How long should I have my light on?

Green Algae.jpg

Thank you,
    Yeah, 12 hours a day is too long and will grow algae. Looks like you got the start of hair algae. Best way to set your lights to avoid algae is to have at least 5 hours but no more than 10, and best to have it in 2 periods like 5 hours on- 4 hours off- 4 hours on. I have my timers set so the lights are on when I wake up for a few hours, turn off at 11am and turn back on at 5pm around the time I would be getting home from work.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

3. Likes dungBUG liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted dungBUG's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Kole. I'll do the intermittently timer light like how you suggested. Great idea!

How do I get rid of the hair algae? I'll see if I can manually remove it and change 25% water when I get home later today.

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dungBUG View Post
    Thanks, Kole. I'll do the intermittently timer light like how you suggested. Great idea!

How do I get rid of the hair algae? I'll see if I can manually remove it and change 25% water when I get home later today.
    Manually remove as much as you can, then you can treat the algae. You can use hydrogen peroxide (1-2 ml per gallon of water in the tank in a syringe squirted directly over affected areas), let it sit for about 10 minutes while it does its work, do your water change, and then double dose with Flourish Excel. I usually treat algae 2-3x a week like this when I have a break out. On my 40g Dutch I treat algae with every weekly water just to make sure it doesn't come back, but I had black beard algae which is harder to get rid of.

More Tanks!

SCAPE Member Just Planted dungBUG's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Manually remove as much as you can, then you can treat the algae. You can use hydrogen peroxide (1-2 ml per gallon of water in the tank in a syringe squirted directly over affected areas), let it sit for about 10 minutes while it does its work, do your water change, and then double dose with Flourish Excel. I usually treat algae 2-3x a week like this when I have a break out. On my 40g Dutch I treat algae with every weekly water just to make sure it doesn't come back, but I had black beard algae which is harder to get rid of.

Thanks, Kole. Tried it last night and changed 50% of the water. Also went to CK to fill my Co2 tank and I think I'll pick up some Siamese Algae Eater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    David
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 11 gallons and three to four days of overdosing Excel gets rid of hair algae. I used a capful each morning and by the 5th day it's completely gone. Kole's hydrogen peroxide method worked for me as well when I was completely overrun early into my plant tank learning curve.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Bongox3's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Michael
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    H2O2 and excel works great... just be mindful that using it too much may be harmful to some plants and aquatic animals... some plants will even melt with the introduction of excel... the combo is generally considered a spot treatment - and used kinda short term...usually a few treatments coupled with a few days blackout will do the trick and have a lessen negative effect in the tank... always consider that h2o2 and excell aren’t just killing algae when applied...some also note possible gill inflammation in fish with too much or too frequent use...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Victor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best method that has worked for me is hydrogen peroxide. Drain your tank to gain access to the moss, which looks like easily accessible, and spray directly. I let it dwell on contact for a few minutes and fill tank up with water. The most I've repeated this method is 3 times. Fish and snail eat up the dying algae. But to prevent it your easiest measure is limiting your light.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to have a crazy hair algae, in my fissiden Tank.
    I manually removed them with brush>reduce the light hour>and 2 times a week of WC. work the best in my opinion(no chemical added), and i have a shrimp inside so they probably ate them little by little.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will second the 'be careful with Excel'. I started double dosing my tank since I have no CO2 tank and a lot of plants but found the mosses started going mushy. I find that the shrimp and otocincilus will eat some algae especially if you don't overfeed -the shrimp will happily gorge on flake foods, pellets and everything else but when they get hungry they swarm my plants with their tiny claws picking and feeding themselves like frenzied little machines. The otocinculus don't seem to eat the hair algae. I also have a couple of true Siamese algae eaters and they also seem to eat some but it is more of a nibble here and there - side salads.

The 'pick off the big pieces' and then let the hungry shrimp eat the rest seems to work pretty well for me and haven't seen it reappear. I do have some algae spots on the leaves but that's because I leave the lights on all day.