Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Dwarf Gourami

Are they known to eat shrimp fry? Kinda worried about it since I had some shrimp in my semi-heavily planted tank and havenít seen any... are they possibly hiding or am I just tripping haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baby shrimp are tiny. Fish like tiny swimming things more than flake. . .

SCAPE Member Just Planted Jongo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dwarf honey gourami, it was initially curious, but has left my shrimp alone.
    The electric blue rams on the other hand....

Oh, also make sure your filter intake doesn't suck up your shrimp

SCAPE Member SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swoof View Post
    Baby shrimp are tiny. Fish like tiny swimming things more than flake. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongo View Post
    I have a dwarf honey gourami, it was initially curious, but has left my shrimp alone.
    The electric blue rams on the other hand....

Oh, also make sure your filter intake doesn't suck up your shrimp
    I recently added some juvenile shrimp to my tank... I fed my fish before introducing them but maybe theyíre hiding somewhere where I can see them because I had at least two baby shrimp prior to adding more and they were never bothered. Maybe I am thinking to much about it and theyíre just getting used to the tank and surroundings. Iíll keep this thread updated.

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.under.ground View Post
    I recently added some juvenile shrimp to my tank... I fed my fish before introducing them but maybe theyíre hiding somewhere where I can see them because I had at least two baby shrimp prior to adding more and they were never bothered. Maybe I am thinking to much about it and theyíre just getting used to the tank and surroundings. Iíll keep this thread updated.

Everybody's tank and it's inhabitants are different but there IS a saying among shrimp keepers: You can add small fish to shrimp tank, but you can't add shrimp to a fish tank.
    Meaning pretty much that if you want your shrimp to have a decent population you want to start them out in the tank several months before any fish so they have a chance to estabish a breeding colony so even if a fish eats some shrimp, theres enough breeding to counter-act it. And even if you have an established colony, depending on the fish you add, your shrimp will be less active and hide more to avoid predation. Some fish will even wipe out an entire shrimp colony.
    I suggest either moving any fish to a different tank and let your shrimp have free reign of the tank for a few months before adding any fish in, and I wouldn't suggest putting a Dwarf Blue Gourmi in with shrimp. They have a fairly decent sized mouth when mature and munch down an adult shrimp in 2 bites. If you really want success with your shrimp colony stick with Oto cats or a Ranger Pleco, maybe try some of the nano fish others have had success keeping with shrimp.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

SCAPE Member SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    Everybody's tank and it's inhabitants are different but there IS a saying among shrimp keepers: You can add small fish to shrimp tank, but you can't add shrimp to a fish tank.
    Meaning pretty much that if you want your shrimp to have a decent population you want to start them out in the tank several months before any fish so they have a chance to estabish a breeding colony so even if a fish eats some shrimp, theres enough breeding to counter-act it. And even if you have an established colony, depending on the fish you add, your shrimp will be less active and hide more to avoid predation. Some fish will even wipe out an entire shrimp colony.
    I suggest either moving any fish to a different tank and let your shrimp have free reign of the tank for a few months before adding any fish in, and I wouldn't suggest putting a Dwarf Blue Gourmi in with shrimp. They have a fairly decent sized mouth when mature and munch down an adult shrimp in 2 bites. If you really want success with your shrimp colony stick with Oto cats or a Ranger Pleco, maybe try some of the nano fish others have had success keeping with shrimp.

Iíve had shrimp and this blue dwarf Gourami in a smaller tank (8 gallons I now have a 13 gallon) and I havenít had a problem since... I added a few red cherry shrimp too and they seemed to be surviving. The only reason Iím asking this question is because I had a berried shrimp and I havenít seen any of the fry and sheís still out and about. I added some juvenile shrimp about a dozen or so yesterday lights off and everything and now I think Iím starting to regret this decisions ahaha. You live and you learn though. But like I said Iíll keep everyone updated on how the outcome goes...

SCAPE Board Member Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the.under.ground View Post
    Iíve had shrimp and this blue dwarf Gourami in a smaller tank (8 gallons I now have a 13 gallon) and I havenít had a problem since... I added a few red cherry shrimp too and they seemed to be surviving. The only reason Iím asking this question is because I had a berried shrimp and I havenít seen any of the fry and sheís still out and about. I added some juvenile shrimp about a dozen or so yesterday lights off and everything and now I think Iím starting to regret this decisions ahaha. You live and you learn though. But like I said Iíll keep everyone updated on how the outcome goes...

Ya, we live and we learn. One thing I have noticed is that if a fish gets a taste of a shrimp and likes it, they will hunt down others to get their new favorite food. I had a German Blue Ram that was in a community tank that also had crystal red shrimp, crystal black shrimp, orange pumpkins and red cherries. The Ram was fine with the shrimp for months and then one day he discovered he liked shrimp, especially the crystals, and he wiped em out.
    Just gotta remember that in the wild shrimp are on the menu, and for most fish, its the "Go To Item". They have the numbers game won in the wild though. If you have 1,000 breeding females each capable of carrying 30+ eggs, thats over 30,000 babies. Odd's are the shrimp are going to be just fine even if 25,000 of em get eaten. Hence the saying "You can add small fish to a shrimp tank but not shrimp to a fish tank".
    Live and learn, lol.

More Tanks!