Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alhambra, Ca Ravensrose29 new to the hobby need help

Hi my name is Raven and i am 29 years old. Im new to the hobby of aqua scaping and id appreciate any and all advice.
    Currently i have 3 comets in my tank with 1 live plant....its thw saddest tank you will ever see tbh...i would love some help in figuring out how to set up my tank for what i want. 20180524_214530.jpg
    aquariumliveplant.jpg

I know major difference right?! Lol im willing to put in work but for the life of me cant figure out how to fung shui this out. I have 1 cabomba which initially i thought was a coontail or hornwort.

In addition i want to use black sand but sadly the goldies need the gravel so is it possible to add sand ontop of this blue gravel and add a small layer of gravel ontop? What would be best?

Where can i find the best plants? Please help im overwhelmed with this whole good plant difficult plant info the internet is giving me.

2. Likes John7429 liked this post
    SCAPE Member SCAPEr the.under.ground's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Abel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensrose29 View Post
    Hi my name is Raven and i am 29 years old. Im new to the hobby of aqua scaping and id appreciate any and all advice.
    Currently i have 3 comets in my tank with 1 live plant....its thw saddest tank you will ever see tbh...i would love some help in figuring out how to set up my tank for what i want. 20180524_214530.jpg
    aquariumliveplant.jpg

I know major difference right?! Lol im willing to put in work but for the life of me cant figure out how to fung shui this out. I have 1 cabomba which initially i thought was a coontail or hornwort.

In addition i want to use black sand but sadly the goldies need the gravel so is it possible to add sand ontop of this blue gravel and add a small layer of gravel ontop? What would be best?

Where can i find the best plants? Please help im overwhelmed with this whole good plant difficult plant info the internet is giving me.
    To be honest the way I learned about plants and hardscape is going to my local fish store (Lotus Aquarium, Located in Lawndale) and he was very informative. I know CK Fish is somewhat close to Alhambra and they have a wide selection and are knowledgeable. Best thing Id do is go to them and show them the picture to help them understand what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member Just Planted OreoP's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ppp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Raven...welcome to the hobby. I am sure all of us in the hobby started of with "the saddest tank". As long as you have patience and are willing to learn and put in some elbow grease you will be fine. Can you give some additional details of your tank:

1. Size
    2. Water Volume
    3. Light
    4. Fertilization

Also do you have a test kit?

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is head into CK fish world in Azusa. Peter is a fantastic resource, let him know you are new to the hobby and have high aspirations(show him pictures etc). He will give you cost effective options for items you will need to accomplish your goal. Once you start rolling the rest will work itself out.

SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, judging by the picture you want your tank to look like when done I say you have a pretty decent list of plants to start out. As far as using your current gravel (i had that same blue mix gravel at one time) your not going to like the results. Besides the light, the substrate is the most important aspect of a planted tank. If you want a stoney/gravel top layer that is simple, but you definitely want good nutrients under that. You can use any of the plant specific substrates (ADA, ControSoil, Fluval Stratum, etc) and cap it off with a natural gravel/stones.
    The plants that would be fairly simple from your picture are the crypts, the s. repens, the a.r. mini, and maybe the rotala.....depending on what light you currently have on your tank.
    If you want my advice from experience, buy the right stuff for the plants you know your going to want to keep right now AND further down the line. High tech plants require high light and co2, but lights can be dimmed and co2 turned down for low tech plants and you still have the set up to go for the harder plants down the line.
    Another thing to remember....your personal tank will probably never look quite as good as what you see on google, unless your a photographer. Filtration and flow are essential for nutrient displacement and to help keep algae at bay, but if you look at the surface in that picture there is no current in the tank. Most of the pictures like that are taken on the tanks "best" day, they remove the equipment, bring in professional photography lights and a white screen, and we see the end result and most think thats how it looks everyday.
    Start experimenting, find plants you like on websites and google their care and requirements, research lights and equipment, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Welcome to the club, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    More Tanks!

SCAPE Member SCAPEr Ravensrose29's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyvm i went to ck yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 gal, 2 bulbs 10 watts each, no fertz due to fish. No test kit yet i usually take my water to petsmart

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 gal, 2 bulbs 10 watts each, no fertz due to fish. No test kit yet i usually take my water to petsmart
    No ferts due to fish?
    Ferts dont kill fish.
    What kind of light? The wattage isnt the only aspect. What light spectrum?

More Tanks!

SCAPE Member Just Planted OreoP's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ppp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannot say enough positive things about:

www.advancedplantedtank.com

It is a treasure chest for any planted tank hobbyist!!

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back then before PAR measurement came out, 1watt per gallon rule.

Welcome to the hobby, good to see a local neighborhood.

Ferts don't kill fish, fert is plant food.
    Like Kole has mentioned, ferts is water column feeder, while you also need substrate or soil feeder. If the root don't have enough food(nutrient) they won't established, you need a root tab.

The key in planted tank hobbies is PATIENCE. It takes time to experienced all of them, first you need to know how to handle algae then ferts(chemical), then go on. Growing plant is easy, to make them looks nice and clean is an advanced skill and knowledge. We are all learning including my self, there are plenty people have a lot of experienced in this forum, welcome to Scape.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

SCAPE Member 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! swoof's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Ben
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't see any other mentions but, goldfish love to eat plants.

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gold fish also like to eat, that's why they always opening their mouth.

Eat a lot then poop a lot, poop will turn out as ammonia,nitrate. That's why you won't see much people used gold fish in their planted tank.

I have some fake decoration plants, if you are interested let me know.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR AMAZING TIPS AMD INFO.whoa caps sorry on mobile here....ive decided to part with my beloved fish as the water changes have become to hard for me to manage with a potty training 2 yearold in toe. So anyone want my fish? Lol ive gotten some wonderful wood and smooth rocks for my aqua scape its gonna look so amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR AMAZING TIPS AMD INFO.whoa caps sorry on mobile here....ive decided to part with my beloved fish as the water changes have become to hard for me to manage with a potty training 2 yearold in toe. So anyone want my fish? Lol ive gotten some wonderful wood and smooth rocks for my aqua scape its gonna look so amazing
    Sounds like a good choice. Goldfish are cool and fun to watch, but they are just dirty animals and hard to aquascape with. Looking forward to seeing the tank transformation.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20180611_101446.jpg not quite what i wanted but im happy

17. Likes stormvisions liked this post
    SCAPE Member Just Planted dungBUG's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jack
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20180611_101446.jpg not quite what i wanted but im happy
    I'm a newbie too and I do like what I see. Is your water fully cycled? I see you have some tetras and guppies in the tank.

I have my first tank set up about 10 days ago and still afraid to put fishes in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is a new tank it wasnt fully finished but i had my water tested every day until the store owner told me my water was ready for living things lol. I got 2 amanos, 1 cherry, 1 ghost shrimp, 4 guppys, and 3 endler lyretails i need a nerite snail to eat my dead plants. Your ammonia should be at 0 before addind anything. Make sure your water hardness is where your particular fish need it to be, i took out my bio bags and put in biorings and a sponge inside my filter and added an intake sponge...that speed up the process of the cycle. Id like to see your tank
    "Keep your sleeves wet"

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once your water is clear thats how you can tell is cycled. At least thatd what the guys at CK fishworld told me
    "Keep your sleeves wet"

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tank is cycled when Nitrites and Ammonia read 0 and your tank shows some NItrate. There is no set time frame, but typically the minimum is 7 days and the max is determined on the tank. Every tank is different.

Water clarity has nothing to do with how quickly a tank cycles nor should it be used as an indicator of a finished cycle, I can set up a crystal clear tank from day one. Just because the water is clear doesn't mean it is cycled, ammonia doesn't always color or cloud a tank.

Things that help cycle a tank...

Setting the temp to 78-79 which is optimal for bacterial colonization
    Increasing water changes to remove excess ammonia
    Locking Ammonia to a useable amount that is safe for the system
    Adding beneficial or nitrifying bacteria to your system
    Seeding the tank with Bacteria from an established set up
    Increasing Bio surface area

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Crystal
    Mentioned