Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emersed Project

What you see in the pictures below is a small selection from almost every aquatic plant that I have. All plants are in their submerged form (except the bamboo), and planted in small cups with MiracleGrow Organic Potting Soil. There are holes in the bottom of each cup to allow the soil to stay wet, and the water level is kept below half of the cups. Lights are 2 clip on desk lamps with 23 watt 6500K CFL bulbs.
    My goal is to see which plants will transition well/best, grow well/best when emersed, and what their emersed form will look like when compared to submerged.
    There doesn't seem to be much information on growing aquatic plants emersed other than "you can grow pretty much anything emersed with enough humidity" or "yeah, you can do that in a dry start and it should work". We all know the tried and true plants to grow emersed; anubias, buces, s. repens, a.r. mini, and pretty much all carpet plants....but what about the rest? Crypts for example, some people say they grow very well emersed while others will tell you they will just die off. I'm going to put quite a few plants to the test to find out.
    I have a pretty decent list of plants going and a few more will be added in the next couple of days. Hopefully from this I'll be able to make up a list of plants that will grow very nice above the water. With the increasing popularity of Paludariums lately it would be a useful resource.
    Plant Species:
    Alternanthera Reineckii 'Lilacina'
    Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
    Alternanthera Reineckii Mini 'Vareigated'
    Anubias Nana
    Anubias Nana 'Variegated'
    Anubias Nana 'Petite'
    Bamboo "unknown"
    Blyxa Japonica
    Bucephelandra Arrogant Blue
    Bucephelandra Brownie Phantom
    Bucephelandra Firebird
    Bucephelandra Dark Skeleton King
    Bucephelandra Lamandau
    Bucephelandra Wavy Green
    Crypt Flamingo
    Crypt Wendtii Green
    Fissidens Fontanus
    Glossostigma Elatinoides
    Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
    Hygrophila Polysperma Sunset
    Java Moss
    Large Duckweed
    Limnophila Aromatica
    Limnophila Aromatica 'Mini'
    Limnophila Rugosa
    Ludwigia Repens
    Ludwigia Repens 'Super Red'
    Ludwigia White
    Mini Xmas Moss
    Rotala Bonsai
    Rotala Enie
    Rotala H'ra
    Rotala Mini Butterfly
    Rotala Mini 'Type 2'
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Rotala Vietnam
    Rotala Wallichii
    Pogostemon Erectus
    Pogostemon Kimberly
    Salvinia Minima
    Salvinia Cuculata
    Spiral Chain Sword
    Spikey Moss
    Staurogyne Porto Velho
    Staurogyne Purple
    Staurogyne Repens
    Taiwan Moss
    Tropical Moss Mix (from Petco)
    Utricularia Graminifolia
    If anyone would like to donate a plant/s to the project that would be greatly appreciated. Not much is needed, 2-3 small stems or cuttings and a picture of what the plant/s look like in their submerged form (before pic) in your tank.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kole85; 06-01-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    More Tanks!

2. Likes Aquaman, privinvlu liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    What you see in the pictures below is a small selection from almost every aquatic plant that I have. All plants are in their submerged form (except the bamboo), and planted in small cups with MiracleGrow Organic Potting Soil. There are holes in the bottom of each cup to allow the soil to stay wet, and the water level is kept below half of the cups. Lights are 2 clip on desk lamps with 23 watt 6500K CFL bulbs.
    My goal is to see which plants will transition well/best, grow well/best when emersed, and what their emersed form will look like when compared to submerged.
    There doesn't seem to be much information on growing aquatic plants emersed other than "you can grow pretty much anything emersed with enough humidity" or "yeah, you can do that in a dry start and it should work". We all know the tried and true plants to grow emersed; anubias, buces, s. repens, a.r. mini, and pretty much all carpet plants....but what about the rest? Crypts for example, some people say they grow very well emersed while others will tell you they will just die off. I'm going to put quite a few plants to the test to find out.
    I have a pretty decent list of plants going and a few more will be added in the next couple of days. Hopefully from this I'll be able to make up a list of plants that will grow very nice above the water. With the increasing popularity of Paludariums lately it would be a useful resource.
    Plant Species:
    Alternanthera Reineckii 'Lilacina'
    Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
    Alternanthera Reineckii Mini 'Vareigated'
    Anubias Nana
    Anubias Nana 'Variegated'
    Anubias Nana 'Petite'
    Bamboo "unknown"
    Blyxa Japonica
    Bucephelandra "misc. types"
    Crypt Flamingo
    Crypt Wendtii Green
    Fissidens Fontanus
    Glossostigma Elatinoides
    Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
    Java Moss
    Limnophila Aromatica
    Limnophila Aromatica 'Mini'
    Ludwigia Repens
    Ludwigia Repens 'Super Red'
    Mini Xmas Moss
    Rotala Bonsai
    Rotala Enie
    Rotala H'ra
    Rotala Mini Butterfly
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Rotala Wallichii
    Pogostemon Erectus
    Pogostemon Kimberly
    Spiral Chain Sword
    Staurogyne Porto Velho
    Staurogyne Purple
    Staurogyne Repens
    If anyone would like to donate a plant/s to the project that would be greatly appreciated. Not much is needed, 2-3 small stems or cuttings and a picture of what the plant/s look like in their submerged form (before pic) in your tank.

Great idea, Kole!
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

SCAPE Board Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr Kole85's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    Great idea, Kole!
    Thanks Tom. I got some more plants from Carlo that I'm going to put in The Dutch, going to take a few trimmings and put them in there too since his plants are usually the harder to find species. Just gotta make room in the Dutch and play Name This Plant with Carlo via text, lol.

More Tanks!

SCAPE Member Sr. SCAPEr dealend's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    danny
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection.

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this thread Kole. have you tried reacclimating any of the plants to submersed forms after this, and if so did they melt or transition easily?

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stormvisions View Post
    Thanks for this thread Kole. have you tried reacclimating any of the plants to submersed forms after this, and if so did they melt or transition easily?
    Not any of these currently I haven't, but I've been doing this for like 8 months whenever I want to grow something out fast. This is the first time I have done it to this degree though. I've never had problems in the past when getting them to transition. These plants are still transitioning to emersed.
    I'm going to do an update this evening, I've added some plants and rearranged things. I can tell you the plants that are doing very well right now growing emersed: Limnophila Aromatica 'Mini' started sprouting emersed leaves in a day or two (very different leaf structure when emersed), the bucephelandra, the crypts, the Ludwigia Super Red, the H. Japan, the bamboo, the Stauryogen species, the Alternanthera species. Those are growing very nicely. Everything else is going good still, the only plant I have had show signs of melt during the transition was the spiral chain sword but it seems to be bouncing back.

More Tanks!

SCAPE Member SCAPEr stormvisions's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Burt
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've peaked my interest. I'm going to try some. I have water sprite, anubias nana, a couple of crypts, ludwiga and tiny bits of other stuff (should have documented all the names when I got these). I'll set some up tonight. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 Week Update (Updated original post with plants I have added)
    Went and got some better containers to make things look nicer and helps with organization, plus there's room for more plants.

The majority of the plants are doing really well and all the containers are holding their moisture very well, I only have to mist once a day and let new air in. The Blyxa Japonica and the Spiral Chain Sword seem to be the most affected by the transition, the blyxa the most. The Spiral Chain Sword is bouncing back though.

The Limnophila Aromatica 'Mini' has been growing very well (was able to trim and replant the new emersed growth)and has a much broader leaf structure and dark green/purple color.

The Crypt Flaming has also been doing well and has an interesting color on the emersed leaves, lighter green on the outside and gets darker towards the center vein.

More Tanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seperated the Buce into their own containers, I still have more types but have yet to propagate to be able to add them. The Bucephelandra seem to be loving the emersed setup, although the Wavy Green has had some melt in the transition. The Brownie Phantom and Arrogant Blue have REALLY colored up. The Firebird is still sprouting it's first emersed leaf. The Dark Skeleton King has yet to sprout a new leaf since being in the emersed setup, but the color on the submersed leaves has darkened quite a bit and the veins have become much more pronounced.

The Stauryogen Purple and Velho are growing nicely emersed, I figured they would with how easy S. Repens grows emersed. The A.R. Mini Variegated has lost some of the color variation in it's veins during the transition and is looking similar to the normal A.R. Mini, will be interesting to see if it stays like this further into the transition.

The Mini Xmas Moss I blended with water and 'painted' on this decorative cave took about a week for new growth to show but now is growing very nicely. Hopefully it fills to cover the top half of the cave (future vampire crab-itat).

The U.G. I have growing emersed is in my 20g Long Iwagumi dry start and is growing pretty decent, slow to spread but it's coming along. Been almost a month since I planted it.

I went to Petco about a week ago and found a 'Live Tropical Moss Mix' for terrariums. The stuff looked pretty dead but it was only $4 so I grabbed it. Took half of it and blended it up with water and ferts and spread on the 10g paludarium background I'm doing. I put some potting soil on the bottom of the container it came in, put the other half back in, put it in the back of the rack for low light and it is showing some very nice growth. The label said it was a mix of mosses and ferns, I definitely see java moss in there lol.

Each of the containers has floating plants to help keep the water from becoming stagnant. Theres some Salvinia Minima, Salvinia Cuculata, and Large Duckweed in there, they're growing alright right now. The Anubias' are doing nicely and sprouting new growth faster than when submersed, but they usually do when emersed. Close up shots of those aren't really needed yet.
    A big thanks to @Zenzu for hooking me up with a decent amount of some rarer plants for The Dutch. He gave me so much that I had leftovers to add to the project. Looking forward to seeing how the Ludwigia White and Rotala Mini Type 2 handle it.
    Will do another update in a week or two.

Last edited by Kole85; 06-02-2018 at 12:28 AM.
    More Tanks!

11. Thanks stormvisions, DesertFish thanked for this post
    Likes stormvisions, privinvlu, DesertFish liked this post
    SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread is constructed entirely of awesomeness.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    This thread is constructed entirely of awesomeness.
    Thanks Tom. I'm enjoying the project and watching the plants grow and transition.

More Tanks!