Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Jasper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can I use t5ho grow lights?

Thinking of setting up another tank. I wanna skip leds for this one and try t5ho. I saw on eBay/Amazon about the hydroponic grow lights. Can I use those? I saw a really good priced 6 and 8 bulb fixture. Tank will be 20-24Ē wide so Iím not sure how many bulbs will work for good coverage.

Sent from my iPhone
    I'm only happy when my otos are happy

SCAPE Member Just Planted kberg2498's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kyle B.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah you can use grow lights, just make sure you are happy with the color of white they are using. I personally have used Sun-Grow fixtures with no problem. Recently decommissioned it though because I went back to LEDs. Much less light bleed. Honestly if you want cheaper options for such a small tank, I use the Nicrew Deluxe LED off amazon for 30$. They've been pretty good. One light would do medium plants just fine, with 2 being needed for high-light plants in a standard 20gal tall.

edit: Good to note: I've completely submerged my nicrew light on accident a week ago and its going strong still

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Zenzu uses a high powered grow light on his dutch growout tank, thing is so powerful he has to hang it to where you can barely reach the thing, lol.
    Just be prepared to make a hanging kit in case you have to raise the light.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Water is Life 5000 posts, Officially addicted to SCAPE! Zenzu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Carlo
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You caught me on the right night. I am stuck at work with nothing to do and this shift is so slow compared to mine, it's amazing that nothing ever gets done during the night time and I always have to correct their mistakes. Anyway coffee is plentiful and so is downtime.

Pros and cons...

T5 Pros

Fixtures are relatively cheap
    They are easily customizable
    Wide selection of bulbs
    You can tune your spectrum/kelvin/cri etc etc
    High par and even spread
    Great warranty on most fixtures
    Fool proof due to years of practical use

LED pros

Energy efficacy
    Almost all can be dimmed with no ill effects
    Aesthetically pleasing/Compact/Slim
    Produce less heat
    Many many options for relatively cheap
    Relatively long peak life span
    Par drop off is linear
    Have better penetration

T5 Cons

Produce lots of heat because of bigger ballasts/ps and bulbs
    Fixtures take less abuse and components/bulbs fail/need to be replaced
    A set of bulbs for a 4 bulb T5 fixture cost as much as 1 led fixture and only last 1 year before reccommended replacement
    Very bad par drop off as distance increases
    Bad penetration not suitable for deeper tanks, unless more bulbs are used in which case MH would be a better option watt for watt

LED Cons

99.99% of fixtures are manufactured in or use components from China.
    Poor warranty/customer service
    Poor spread/ hot spots "in some cases."
    Very little customization unless you are electonics savvy
    Kelvin may appear off and plants/fish don't display properly
    Relatively new tech with less available data in most cases
    incorrect spectrum/par data provided by manufacturer/false promises of being a plant god if you buy so and so fixture

Any of ya'll party animals wanna add to this feel free.

I love T5 btw, I just would never go back unless... I was ballin and needed another way to throw away cash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
    You caught me on the right night. I am stuck at work with nothing to do and this shift is so slow compared to mine, it's amazing that nothing ever gets done during the night time and I always have to correct their mistakes. Anyway coffee is plentiful and so is downtime.

Pros and cons...

T5 Pros

Fixtures are relatively cheap
    They are easily customizable
    Wide selection of bulbs
    You can tune your spectrum/kelvin/cri etc etc
    High par and even spread
    Great warranty on most fixtures
    Fool proof due to years of practical use

LED pros

Energy efficacy
    Almost all can be dimmed with no ill effects
    Aesthetically pleasing/Compact/Slim
    Produce less heat
    Many many options for relatively cheap
    Relatively long peak life span
    Par drop off is linear
    Have better penetration

T5 Cons

Produce lots of heat because of bigger ballasts/ps and bulbs
    Fixtures take less abuse and components/bulbs fail/need to be replaced
    A set of bulbs for a 4 bulb T5 fixture cost as much as 1 led fixture and only last 1 year before reccommended replacement
    Very bad par drop off as distance increases
    Bad penetration not suitable for deeper tanks, unless more bulbs are used in which case MH would be a better option watt for watt

LED Cons

99.99% of fixtures are manufactured in or use components from China.
    Poor warranty/customer service
    Poor spread/ hot spots "in some cases."
    Very little customization unless you are electonics savvy
    Kelvin may appear off and plants/fish don't display properly
    Relatively new tech with less available data in most cases
    incorrect spectrum/par data provided by manufacturer/false promises of being a plant god if you buy so and so fixture

Any of ya'll party animals wanna add to this feel free.

I love T5 btw, I just would never go back unless... I was ballin and needed another way to throw away cash.
    In your opinion, what would be a good LED fixture for medium-high light with a good spectrum? I'm becoming dissatisfied with my Beamswork DA FSPEC. It's a beast of a light for the price, but it washes out reds on the rummy nose easily with the 10,000k white bulbs. And I've been reading that a poor spectrum makes it easier for algae to take hold, which makes sense. I've been pumping co2 and ferts into the tank, using Colin's Thrive, plants are growing well, but that GSA just won't leave me alone! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
    In your opinion, what would be a good LED fixture for medium-high light with a good spectrum? I'm becoming dissatisfied with my Beamswork DA FSPEC. It's a beast of a light for the price, but it washes out reds on the rummy nose easily with the 10,000k white bulbs. And I've been reading that a poor spectrum makes it easier for algae to take hold, which makes sense. I've been pumping co2 and ferts into the tank, using Colin's Thrive, plants are growing well, but that GSA just won't leave me alone! lol
    For a tank that size you have a lot available to you. You can go with a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ for medium light. I am VERY pleased with my (2) 36" Chihiros A Series Plus. Very bright on highest setting and dimmable, but its only white light. You could also go for the Chihiros RGB series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kole85 View Post
    For a tank that size you have a lot available to you. You can go with a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ for medium light. I am VERY pleased with my (2) 36" Chihiros A Series Plus. Very bright on highest setting and dimmable, but its only white light. You could also go for the Chihiros RGB series.

Thanks for the response! Iíve been looking at the Fugeray Planted+ and the 24/7 Planted+ CC today. I donít want to hijack this thread, but both seem to be decent lights. I really like that Finnex used 660nm red diodes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response! Iíve been looking at the Fugeray Planted+ and the 24/7 Planted+ CC today. I donít want to hijack this thread, but both seem to be decent lights. I really like that Finnex used 660nm red diodes.
    I have a Finnex Ray2 (grew my dutch aqauscape very nice on a standard 29g), a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ (grows medium light plants well, high light plants struggle some on a standard 20g), the 2 Chihiros A901 Plus' are on the 40Breeder (plants start pearling within an hour or so of being turned on). I have heard decent things on the 24/7 depending on how tall the tank is, the 24 hr mode isn't great for plants but if you hook it up to a timer on a higher setting it could work. BUT for quality AND price, I'd go with Chihiros. My (2) 36" lights cost me a total of $120.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Finnex Ray2 (grew my dutch aqauscape very nice on a standard 29g), a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ (grows medium light plants well, high light plants struggle some on a standard 20g), the 2 Chihiros A901 Plus' are on the 40Breeder (plants start pearling within an hour or so of being turned on). I have heard decent things on the 24/7 depending on how tall the tank is, the 24 hr mode isn't great for plants but if you hook it up to a timer on a higher setting it could work. BUT for quality AND price, I'd go with Chihiros. My (2) 36" lights cost me a total of $120.

Iíll definitely check them out! How does it do with reds on plants and fish? This tank is also a 40 breeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Kole Hopkins
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíll definitely check them out! How does it do with reds on plants and fish? This tank is also a 40 breeder.

Well my 40Breeder is a little worse for wear right now, been battling some Black Beard Algae so have been dosing very lean, lower light intensity, and only 5 hrs of light per day. I just recently increased everything back up to normal so my reds haven't quite bounced back yet. One of the pics below was my 29g Dutch with the Finnex Ray2, the other 2 are my 40Breeder Dutch before I started the algae battle. I'll be posting some updated pictures of the 40Breeder in a few days showing the new growth with normal ferts and light/co2.
    If you ever want to see these lights in person (I know I like to see things before I spend the money) we can set up a day for you to come check em out. I have several different lights on my tanks: Chihiros A Plus Series, Finnex Ray2, Finnex Fugeray Planted+, Finnex Stingray, Satellite Freshwater LED, LifeGard, Fluval, Marineland, and the clip on desk lamps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my 40Breeder is a little worse for wear right now, been battling some Black Beard Algae so have been dosing very lean, lower light intensity, and only 5 hrs of light per day. I just recently increased everything back up to normal so my reds haven't quite bounced back yet. One of the pics below was my 29g Dutch with the Finnex Ray2, the other 2 are my 40Breeder Dutch before I started the algae battle. I'll be posting some updated pictures of the 40Breeder in a few days showing the new growth with normal ferts and light/co2.
    If you ever want to see these lights in person (I know I like to see things before I spend the money) we can set up a day for you to come check em out. I have several different lights on my tanks: Chihiros A Plus Series, Finnex Ray2, Finnex Fugeray Planted+, Finnex Stingray, Satellite Freshwater LED, LifeGard, Fluval, Marineland, and the clip on desk lamps.

Wow they all look beautiful! Thanks for the offer, Iíd love to see your tanks someday regardless. I just ordered the 24/7 Planted+ CC. Lower kelvin than the Beamswork light plus the 660nm red, after reading and reading, it should give the PAR Iím looking for at the substrate (at full intensity) while mellowing out the tones and allowing the reds to visually pop more.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Planted + on my 20 because of the Red LEDís . It is not perfect, but it puts out enough power to keep the medium-hard plants growing, and I like the warm color.

I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    I use the Planted + on my 20 because of the Red LEDís . It is not perfect, but it puts out enough power to keep the medium-hard plants growing, and I like the warm color.

Beautiful! Thatís why I picked the CC, higher PAR for longer while still having the neat 24 hour photoperiod.

SCAPE Member 1000 posts, Semi-Pro SCAPEr geektom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Tom Mays
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! Thatís why I picked the CC, higher PAR for longer while still having the neat 24 hour photoperiod.
    I have not found any value in the 24/7 features, which why I only use the regular Planted+, but some people really like them.
    I am an old dog trying to learn some new tricks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Real Name
    Shane Wilson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geektom View Post
    I have not found any value in the 24/7 features, which why I only use the regular Planted+, but some people really like them.
    Benefit to the plants? Nah. But I have seen it before and I like it for viewing purposes.